DELETE

I've been collecting for about 3 years. I started after all my cds got stolen. I liked buying cds because of the art and lyrics so vinyl's larger format naturally appealed to me. CDs are too easily stolen and duplicated. I've collected stuff (baseball cards, action figures, etc.) my whole life so vinyl was the next step. I own about 250 records, and the most I've ever paid for one was $200. My favorite thing is getting limited edition stuff for retail prices. Limited colors keep things interesting and allow for bragging. I don't think vinyl can save the music industry, its too impractical. It will always be a novelty but not in a bad way.

- I used to buy a ton of CDs. I bought a turntable because a lot of bands I liked released stuff on 7"s that wasn't available on CD. When I started buying records I realized that they were just like CDs, only the artwork was bigger, they sounded better, they were often cheaper, and they come in pretty colors. Consequently, I stopped buying CDs.

-I've been collecting for about about a year and a half.

-I own approximately 140 LPs, 20 10"s, and 130 7"s

-The most I've ever paid was ~$100 for the record that convinced me to buy a turntable

-My favorite part about vinyl is the experience. That sounds sort of stupid, but really with an LP you get the artwork, the better sound, you have to get up to flip it over, etc. It just feels like a more involved process than a throwing a CD in a disc changer ot playing an mp3, which is something I appreciate, since music is really important to me.

-I don't think the vinyl resurgence will do the "music industry" any good; that ship is bound to sink. However, I think it will be great for independent artists and labels, namely, people who really care about music. The trend that some people are starting of including free mp3 downloads with vinyl purchases is terrific. That, in my opinion, is the wave of the future, so to speak.

-I love limited vinyl because I love collecting things, I have ever since I was old enough to buy things for myself. It's fun to chase down the rarest variant of a record, and it's a fun thing for people who are big fans of one particular band to collect everything they put out. However, I think it's a good thing to have a not so limited pressing as well, so that people who care about the collecting and people who just want the music both have access to it.

What first sparked in your interest in the vinyl format as opposed to CD or any other format?

The initial draw was the fact that a lot of bands I listen to (see: NOFX and most other FAT bands) put previously unreleased stuff on vinyl pretty regularly; so it started as a way to keep up with that and eventually grew from there.

How long have you been collecting for?

Off and on for about 12 years or so. I've more or less stopped buying CDs in the last year or two though.

How many records do you own?

Close to 500.

What is the most you have paid for a record?

Hmmm... maybe around $60? I got a lot of my rarer stuff well before this latest resurgence, so that's helped mitigate the damage to my bank account somewhat.

What is your favorite thing about the format?

All of the usuals -- sound; bigger artwork; packaging; bonuses/unreleased songs; the entire listening experience. And the fact that most vinyl I buy comes directly from the label, so it's nice to support them as well.

Do you think that the resurgence in the popularity will help with the music industry’s problems with illegal downloading?

Not noticeably. I have a feeling that most of the people who buy/collect vinyl have been buying their music for years. Granted, a lot of people still download mp3's and what have you, but I'd say the vast majority of the people who are a part of the vinyl resurgence have been steady purchasers of music for a long time.

How do you feel about limited vinyl? Some might say that it is a really cool thing for collectors that like the feeling of owning something not many others have, but others might argue that it’s unfair to some listeners because richer people who only want to sell it on eBay down the road buy many of the copies up. Which of these do you think is more accurate?

The first part leads to the second -- it's cool to own something rare, which is why any kind of collectible ends up going for a lot on the eBays of the world. For the most part it's not a big deal -- I've been able to get most of the things I've wanted when they initially went on sale. Personally, I'm more worried about owning one copy of something from a first pressing than I am about collecting all the different color variants, etc., so chasing things on eBay/messageboards becomes slightly more manageable in that regard.

Guest scriptedrain

What first sparked in your interest in the vinyl format as opposed to CD or any other format?

My friend gave me The Get Up Kids - Guilt Show on red vinyl. Then he showed me his collection. That was 2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since.

^

Around 280.

+$200

The whole experience.

Do you think that the resurgence in the popularity will help with the music industry’s problems with illegal downloading?

It helps in the sense that if it wasn't available, that would be less purchased music. As a solution, though? No.

How do you feel about limited vinyl? Some might say that it is a really cool thing for collectors that like the feeling of owning something not many others have, but others might argue that it’s unfair to some listeners because richer people who only want to sell it on eBay down the road buy many of the copies up. Which of these do you think is more accurate?

I like the fact that a lot of vinyl releases are rare. It makes it more unique, rather than buying a CD where you usually have no idea how many are shipped. You know in the late 90s / early 00s when you couldn't go around the corner without seeing those AOL trial discs everywhere? That's a pretty good analogy for how "faceless" it feels in comparison to owning something where you know only 99 or 499 or 999 copies exist.

Having said that, I do wish there was a code amongst vinyl collectors, where you bought 1 copy of a limited pressing out of respect. I know it's unrealistic, but flippers and trendhoppers are driving prices up, and the music should get to the fans and appreciators, if you ask me (and you are :) ).

At first, I was attracted to the art and the packaging, I think that's the first thing that ropes people in, not just me. As I continued buying vinyl, I really liked the "collection" aspect of it-I liked going out every weekend and buying vinyl and just watching the shelf get fuller and fuller and watching my collection grow.

Off and on, About 4-5 years.

Just Hit the 100 record mark.

hmm...not much, maybe like $35-$40. I did pick up the beatles "white album" on white vinyl for $20 and now it's worth $100.

What is your favorite thing about the format? I love the fact that you can't really skip to your favorite song; you have to take the time to listen to the entire piece of music in most cases, with the advent of digital music people can just buy/download one song without even thinking about listening to an entire album's worth of recording. the character of vinyl records have the power to change that, and hopefully it will in some respects.

I don't think the "music industry" has cared or will ever care about what it's consumers want, they just care about making $$. others who have answered these questions have said it'll level the playing field for the indies and smaller bands/labels, and I think that's true.

How do you feel about limited vinyl? Some might say that it is a really cool thing for collectors that like the feeling of owning something not many others have, but others might argue that it’s unfair to some listeners because richer people who only want to sell it on eBay down the road buy many of the copies up. Which of these do you think is more accurate? This topic is a double edged sword. while it sucks to pay tons of cash for that rare record, in essence, a rare collectible is a rare collectible, whether it's a record, baseball card, comic book, antique, whatever. People are always going to be there to take advantage of that, which sucks, but that's the nature of the beast. I totally agree with what Jeff said, it would be nice if there was some kind of "code" amongst us appreciators, but I don't think that would ever happen, it's too hard to divide the playing field between the two.

Portugal. The Man's Waiter: "You Vultures!" got me hooked. Although I still buy everything on CD format first, and then get the vinyl if I like it.

Since Waiter was released

Like 60 LP's and 10 7"s

Personally , $40 for a copy of Daughters S/T limited to a run of 12. But my girlfriend thought it was a good idea to by the Norma Jean/mewithoutYou split EP off eBay for 80 dollars, using my bank account. Stupid bitch

I think I'm different to everyone else, vinyl attracted me because I'm a huge music eliteist. Alot of the bands I like have become quite big over recent years and I hate that (great for them, but I hate to like what everyone else likes) And being able to bash out a super rare record by a band I like makes me feel like a big man infront of folks who have just found the band

I think the 2 are completely unrelated, the vinyl resurgance is mostly involving the underground music, and fans of the undeground scene often feel a connection withe the musicians and will more than often willing pay, where as music piracy is more of an issue for the major labels and shitty sellout artists who fucking deserve it.

How do you feel about limited vinyl? Some might say that it is a really cool thing for collectors that like the feeling of owning something not many others have, but others might argue that it’s unfair to some listeners because richer people who only want to sell it on eBay down the road buy many of the copies up. Which of these do you think is more accurate? Love it if I was into vinyl when it was released, fucking hate having to track it down if I wasn't

I started out only buying stuff that was not available on cd and over the years I have turned a complete 180. Now the only cd's I buy is stuff thats not available on vinyl. I enjoy the whole vinyl listening experience more than other formats

about 5-6 years.

a little more than 400.

$25 or so. I'm not a big spender at all.

Everything. The sound, the larger artwork, the packaging, the whole vinyl listening experience.

No. People who buy vinyl are still a very small minority of music listeners.

How limited a record is, is of the least amount of importance to me. It's always cool to get the most limited version of a record, but as long as I can own a copy, I don't care how limited it is.

Releases only available on vinyl, seemed like I needed to get a turntable if I wanted to hear it, thats it.

13 some years (started in 7th grade all by myself) 8-)

600 to 700, not real sure.

roughly 50 bucks. Pays to pay attention and buy when bands are small or before things sell out.

Large artwork & wet panties due to uber coolness of collecting records.

Yes, it will help, but illegal downloading isn't the only problem (but thats a whole other issue)

How do you feel about limited vinyl?

I love it, its fun and means if I get out of collecting in 20 years my records may have some value to them so they are not worthless. I think a small about of people buy just to sell.

I was at my friend's house near the end of high school and we were listening to some old punk records with his brother on vinyl and it sparked my curiosity. The next day I bought a cheap turntable and picked up a few records from the then brand new record shop by my house. I think it was just pure chance, it was never like "oh this sounds better" or "this is cheaper" it just sort of happened.

On and off for 6 years, but I really only got serious about a year ago.

~110

$55 (ish, might have been a bit more or less) for "Owl - S/T" off the old 'bay.

The ability to interact more with the music. I like having to get up and flip a record over and move the needle to the record as opposed to just hitting play on a CD player or mp3s. I like the larger art work, and I just like how records looked stack on a shelf. I like how a lot of bands release 7 Inches with exclusive b-sides, or bonus tracks for a vinyl release.

No. As much as I hate to admit, I am a "try before you buy" guy. I download a lot of stuff, and if I really enjoy it I will go out and buy it on vinyl or CD if that is my only option. I don't think there is anything that anyone can do anymore to curve piracy of music. I wish more pirates would at least try and support the bands they pirate in other ways. I think that most people who only listen to mp3's don't care much about going out and buying a record player and have to spend time flipping through, they want simplicity of changing between songs and album they like.

I don't care for limited vinyl. I think that it's better for more people to experience the music at a fair price, than some guy hording every release variant by a band. Music is meant to be listened to, but I suppose all the variants are meant to be eye candy as well. I won't say too much on the subject, since I am guilty of ending up with a rare color or press and then re-selling it because I don't like it or would rather get a bunch of cash for more records I'd enjoy more.

- Getting into punk rock and hardcore, it was often the only format a band used, so I got into vinyl at first as a means to hear a band's music.

- I never really viewed it as "collecting" though there are certain releases I still want. I've been purchasing vinyl for about 10 years, and the last year I have gotten back into it a lot more than I was the few years before it (I was poor).

- Full lengths - 120

- 7" 's - 165

- I don't think I have ever paid more than "standard" price for a record. I buy them for the music. If they are collectible and I get in on a pre-sale, it's a bonus. I have a few "valuable" records that I bought upon release because I simply liked the band.

- The fact that it is an alternative to CD's, sound better, and provides me with a tangible product for the music I have on my computer.

- If labels continue to offer free downloads along with vinyl, then yes. Fans like myself cannot simply have the music - they need the product, the "thing" to hold in your hands and check out. The music is the mos important part of the presentation, but not the only part. Collecting MP3's does not allow you to show it to people, too.

- I like limited vinyl that I get for a reasonable price. I have not and will not pay more for a release because it is limited. Some labels and bands seem to make their living on limited releases and variations. It does nothing for me.

Kev

I was in Montreal drunk as a skunk, me and a friend walked into an HMV and i saw the Thursday/Thrice split 7"...it looked amazing on clear cokebottle...i had to own it...after that i was @ warped tour and i picked up a copy of pezcore...which i have since traded...then 2 x-mas's ago i got a record player...its been a downhill battle for my checking account ever since.

well, that 1st record was bought in 2002..but i didnt seriously start until dec. of 2006

247 with about 15-20 on the way

$127 USD (Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave Test Pressing)

That im more involved with listening to an album, you need to place the needle, flip it and the packageing is larger...sometimes you get awesome inserts(limbeck stands out in my mind @ the moment)

I personally dont think the industry has an illegal downloading problem...they are just trying to squeeze money out of people...the record industry didnt change in 90% of my lifetime...since the advent of cd's they stuck to a model that @ one point worked...in the late 90's that model was proven to have problems, but instead of coming up iwth a new business plan...they stuck their guns...the resurgence in vinyl is just a consumer minded public looking for a way to support the music they love...

I could care less about limited vinyl...i like owning the album...when something is limited it makes it harder for me to own it...if i have a choice when buying i will most likely buy a colored record that matches the art work or is of higher quality...if i buy the rarest version its because it was an option @ noo additional cost and im not entirely sure if i want to keep the record (i.e. havent heard it yet and am willing to check it out)..this way if i dont like it and do want to get rid of it...it makes it easier for me to either sell it off or trade it for something id rather own.

hope this helps man!