Record stores in the southern NY (not NYC) area with excellent variety?

Can anyone recommend some good quality stocked record stores in the southern tier of NY? I live near Binghamton & vinyl doesn't seem to be too popular around here as any record stores I've been to have a paltry selection. Use to live in Syracuse & Soundgarden in Armory Square was pretty decent. I order a lot online but would like to keep the money in the area & help support "brick & mortar" places if possible. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure you can consider Binghamton to be southern NY, but there are a few around Duchess County/Hudson Valley area.

Darkside Records in Poughkeepsie is a great shop.

Vinyl Resting Place in Newburgh.

Rhino Records in New Paltz.

Malcolm from Trash American Style used to ahve a shop, but now just travels around doing vinyl shows/flea market type stuff.

More upstate... I've heard of Sound Go Round up near Binghamton, but can't speak to the selection.

If you feel like making the trip, Darkside is definitely an awesome spot.

Not sure you can consider Binghamton to be southern NY, but there are a few around Duchess County/Hudson Valley area.

Malcolm from Trash American Style used to ahve a shop, but now just travels around doing vinyl shows/flea market type stuff.

More upstate... I've heard of Sound Go Round up near Binghamton, but can't speak to the selection.

Sound Go Round is pretty terrible. Is mostly used older stuff that should be in a dollar bin. There's also a music shop on the same road that had a slightly better selection, I just don't remember the name.

Sound Go Round is pretty terrible. Is mostly used older stuff that should be in a dollar bin. There's also a music shop on the same road that had a slightly better selection, I just don't remember the name.

Guess you should skip there then.

Sorry, haven't been north of Albany in years so like I said, can't really speak to anything north of Poughkeepsie

Can anyone recommend some good quality stocked record stores in the southern tier of NY? I live near Binghamton & vinyl doesn't seem to be too popular around here as any record stores I've been to have a paltry selection. Use to live in Syracuse & Soundgarden in Armory Square was pretty decent. I order a lot online but would like to keep the money in the area & help support "brick & mortar" places if possible. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Music City in Vestal.

Cool, I'll have to check those places out at some point.... thanks! Yeah Sound Go Round is 1/2 a mile from me & Buffbloom is right, it blows. Music City down the Vestal Pkway is a little better but nothing great. I'm like 2 miles from the PA border so to me it's southern NY but I dunno what else to call it. Thanks again dave_jones!

Whaddabout Western New York? Anybody?

There's a couple shitty shops around the Falls that have nothing past 1980, Record Theatre x2 in Buffalo that's.. okay, I guess, but I'm bored of them. I went to a slightly underground basement shop in Buffalo that was just one small room full of punk, metal and hardcore records, that was a trip.

Hey man! I'm originally from Binghamton area but I'm currently at school in New Paltz, so I lucked out having some great record stores closer-by. It might be a little ways for you, but Ithica's "Angry Mom Records" has a good selection and I think is one of the better stores in the area. SGR and Music City definitely fall short. If you can make the trip New Paltz/Poughkeepsie have a few nice places as was mentioned. The better stores are at least an hour away from Binghamton in each direction.

By the way Binghamton is considered Upstate, Hudson Valley and up usually is included in "upstate" as well, oddly enough. Glad to see a fellow collector in Bing though!

Heh, I went to school at Marist and Rhino was my favorite shop. RSD used to be SO easy there. There'd be 2 or 3 of us on line

Jack's in New Paltz is worth checking out too. Found a few cool records there. Also, some dope and cheap books.

Is Vinyl Resting Place still open? I heard they were thinking about closing. I try not to go to Newburgh though. I like when they brings records to the Hudson Horror Show.

Seconding Darkside

By the way Binghamton is considered Upstate, Hudson Valley and up usually is included in "upstate" as well, oddly enough. Glad to see a fellow collector in Bing though!

I think anything north of Yonkers is usually called Upstate.

I'm going to the Monster Mania convention in NJ this weekend... hope they have some vinyl. Last year I picked up Poltergeist & a rare House By The Cemetery 12" single there.

If you're into horror movie shit I can't recommend the Hudson Horror Show in Poughkeepsie enough. Sadly the one scheduled for June is up in the air right now because the venue is renovating and changing ownership. 12 hour 35mm Horror/Exploitation marathon. They actually showed House by the Cemetery last year and it was awesome. Plus some of the vendors have vinyl!

Hadn't heard of the "southern tier" before this thread, so my fault.

Brucewillis.. you are right, I guess Vinyl Resting Place did close.  Mike usually goes around to local shows and runs a distro though, so all is not lost.

Have to mention again how dope Darkside is.  Most likely worth the trip.

If you ever make it up to Rochester, here is a shop I go to all the time.

https://www.facebook.com/NeedleDropRecords?ref=br_tf

Looks pretty good, Rochester is a couple hours drive from here but maybe I'll take a trip out with the girl. We're always trying to get out of town, the area around the Falls can be pretty depressing and boring.

Bruce: That sounds cool... I actually grabbed a Hudson Horror Show flier from MM last March but never made it. Being a horror movie & vinyl freak is damn expensive. I'll have to check HHS sometime, thanks!

Dave: No worries man, I never heard it before I moved here either. :D

I still don't understand how to reply to comments... I hit quote on someones comment & nothing. hmmmmmmmmm

Hey man! I'm originally from Binghamton area but I'm currently at school in New Paltz, so I lucked out having some great record stores closer-by. It might be a little ways for you, but Ithica's "Angry Mom Records" has a good selection and I think is one of the better stores in the area. SGR and Music City definitely fall short. If you can make the trip New Paltz/Poughkeepsie have a few nice places as was mentioned. The better stores are at least an hour away from Binghamton in each direction.

I just graduated from new paltz in May, hollllla