Road Trip Record Store Recommendations NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, LA, MI, TN and KY

I'm kind of meh on both Renaissance and Charlemange although both have some crate digging charm. I also really like Oz records in Tuscaloosa. Also grimeys in Nashville, and wax n facts and criminal records in Atlanta are great stores. I also think Atlanta has a wuxtrys out in the burbs that is an excellent store if you can't make it all the way to Athens.

If you happen to go through Tuscaloosa be sure to eat at Dreamland ribs and hit up a visit to Denny Chimes and the Paul Bear Bryant Museum if you have any interest in college football.

Going to third Guestroom in Louisville, KY. However, if you're just going through the bottom part of Kentucky you're probably not going to want to take the detour north. I once purchased a Street Smart Cyclist Demo 7" for $1.50 there among other scores including test presses, tour presses, and limited variants for around that same price. 

I've been to Wuxtry in Athens, GA several times over the last 5 years as my wife is from Athens. Wuxtry is a neat place if you appreciate its history, but I've always found them to be way overpriced. Maybe you'll have better luck. I love The Grit and I'm not vegetarian. If you go, do the "Pick 3" off their board and save room for cake. 

Allen, if you are in Charleston SC (a beautiful city) go to Monster Music and Video. I visited in April. I wasn't impressed by the used selection, but they had loads of new, including RSD stuff and other things that were OOP sitting in the bins waiting for in store shoppers to come from out of town.

Beat me to it! Best and only store in Charleston

I'm kind of meh on both Renaissance and Charlemange although both have some crate digging charm. I also really like Oz records in Tuscaloosa. Also grimeys in Nashville, and wax n facts and criminal records in Atlanta are great stores. I also think Atlanta has a wuxtrys out in the burbs that is an excellent store if you can't make it all the way to Athens.

If you happen to go through Tuscaloosa be sure to eat at Dreamland ribs and hit up a visit to Denny Chimes and the Paul Bear Bryant Museum if you have any interest in college football.

If you're rolling through Tuscaloosa, OZ is definitely worth checking...although some of Jason's prices on used records are getting a bit too high. Also, if you're eating at a Dreamland and it's not the original, don't bother....much better off eating at Archibald's while in TTown

Thanks to all for the big list of suggestions. I now have a huge list of them on my tablet ready to check into on route, I'm not sure I'm going to get in a lot of these places as we’ve got a lot of miles to cover but I'm going to try and get into as many of the good ones as possible.

Yes I am a tourist but one that's allergic to spending too much money on anything so none of the pricier ones will be making much out of me but it won't stop me looking.

re: Nashville

Grimey's is famous with good reason and their variety of new vinyl can't be beat, but their used selection (over in Grimey's Too) is always surprisingly terrible.  Fond Object has some interesting things every now and again, but things are usually overpriced.

Kinda surprised no one mentioned The Groove, which to me has the friendliest staff and best combo new/used selection in town.

If you're going through New Orleans, there are three record stores I visit and like: The Mushroom New Orleans, on Broadway St. A modest new vinyl section and not that great of a used vinyl section. I still find a good amount of stuff I like in their new section.

Then there's Euclid, a very common favorite. A lot of old records, and a solid new records section. It's also worth checking the "weird" section in the upstairs.

And on Bourbon, Skully'z! Very small space, but a nice selection of new vinyl.

The only two I say *don't* go to is Peaches -- wayy overpriced -- and Jim Russell -- wayy unorganized and badly treated vinyl.