Road Trip Record Store Recommendations NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, LA, MI, TN and KY

Georgia:

Atlanta: check out Criminal Records in Five Points (Also swing in Junkman's Daughter--if it's still there)

Athens: Wuxtry Records is a small but great store downtown (bonus: upstairs is a comic shop called Bizzaro Wuxtry)

Also eat at the Grill (delicious diner), The Grit (vegetarian/ vegan joint that's banging), or Taco Stand (very Americana Mexican food). Those places were staples of my childhood. Plenty of good bars and a great music scene in Athens (keep your eyes open for members of REM and Neutral Milk Hotel/ Twin Powers/ Elephant 6. It's not uncommon to see them downtown. It doesn't happen daily, but you never know).

Savannah: Graveface Records and Curiosities. They have all kinds of stuff. Truly a great store.

I can only assume based on Nashville and your avatar that you will be going to Third Man and spending all of your money, so definitely do that if you're a fan. I'm not and the place looks pretty cool!

Thanks I'll look into all of those, I know we plan  to go to Athens for Lunch so the food recommendations will be very helpful

Yes I will be spending some time at Third Man but I expect there will be some sort of marital limit imposed on my spending that day that I will completely ignore.

Thanks I'll look into all of those, I know we plan  to go to Athens for Lunch so the food recommendations will be very helpful

Yes I will be spending some time at Third Man but I expect there will be some sort of marital limit imposed on my spending that day that I will completely ignore.

You definitely should! Don't get me wrong; there are better/ finer places to eat, but those places are local staples. There's also the Mellow Mushroom for pizza. It's probably the better of pizza options there. Regardless of where you eat, make sure you guys spend a short while walking around downtown. There are some pretty cool places there.

Haha. I understand. There are moments where my wife says "no. absolutely not." Then I do whatever anyway because I am a manchild. :)

Honestly I found both of these stores to be not really worth a visit.  If you're there, Renaissance was definitely better but not worth making the stop in my opinion.

Nashville: Fond Object is great.  And as someone else said Grimeys // Grimeys Too

Georgia: Everything Fowty Dollaz recommended.

Where in NC?  If you're going to Asheville, its not a record store but the Moog Factory is worth stopping at.  Static Age and Harvest for record stores.

Ok thanks I did think about the Moog factory, It's the soundtrack to my teenage years.

We are flying into Charlotte and then going south from there but after September the Charlotte suburbs will be our US base as my parents are moving from PA to there so I will going around there again on other trips

All depends on what you're looking for and how much time you have to spend there. Both stores are poorly organized, so it takes a bit to rifle through the places, but I've never left either store empty handed. But if you're looking for new vinyl, Seasick is definitely your spot in BHam

Time might be the issue but I'm going to try as many as I can get away with and am making a list and looking at as many on google as I can

If you're headed back to Charlotte through Knoxville, TN, there's a store called Disc Exchange that wouldn't hurt to stop by. It's about 5 minutes off the interstate with a decent selection

Ooooo. I've been there. It's pretty good. I was much younger (probably around 2005-06?) Maybe later, but it's been awhile since I've been to my dad's house in Eastern TN. It's also just a pretty area too. Lots of nice features in the terrain. I shudder to call them "mountains," but technically they are.

I don't live in any of those states, so my only recommendation is to leave a lot of room in your suitcase!  Or, have a dedicated record suitcase.  That might work too.

Where's the fun in that? There have been many cases over the years of exasperated women in my family saying "well how do you expect to get that lot home then?" and I've always managed so far

Where's the fun in that? There have been many cases over the years of exasperated women in my family saying "well how do you expect to get that lot home then?" and I've always managed so far

Just mail them home. We know how inexpensive and reliable the USPS is. You should have no worries. If you need a return address, PM me! ;)

Just mail them home. We know how inexpensive and reliable the USPS is. You should have no worries. If you need a return address, PM me! ;)

I usually just buy another baggage allowance on the plane, you wouldn't believe the things I've bought back over the years, five years ago it was a turntable with a faux marble plinth and three years ago it was a Holley carburettor.

I usually just buy another baggage allowance on the plane, you wouldn't believe the things I've bought back over the years, five years ago it was a turntable with a faux marble plinth and three years ago it was a Holley carburettor.

Ha! nice. I need to do what you're doing but in the other direction. My wife's a big fan of Europe in general, but a huge fan of the UK.

haven't logged in here in quite some time, but figured i should chime in on florida a bit. if you're not going too far south, i can only assume your reason for going to florida is to go to the beach. if you're going to the jacksonville area, you might be out of luck. there used to be two decent shops, but both closed down several years back. there might be some places in st. augustine and daytona, but i'm not personally aware of any.

if you're going to the destin/seaside/PCB area, central square in seaside is a nice place, which has already been mentioned.

if you're going to the pensacola beach area, though, definitely check out revolver records in pensacola. i've been buying records from eric, the owner, for 15+ years. he and his shop are great, and i still try to stop in when i'm in that area.

also, someone suggested graveface in savannah already. definitely check that out if you can. one of the coolest shops i've been to, considering they cater to the record nerd and the cocktail nerd in me.

Georgia:

Atlanta: check out Criminal Records in Five Points (Also swing in Junkman's Daughter--if it's still there)

Athens: Wuxtry Records is a small but great store downtown (bonus: upstairs is a comic shop called Bizzaro Wuxtry)

Also eat at the Grill (delicious diner), The Grit (vegetarian/ vegan joint that's banging), or Taco Stand (very Americana Mexican food). Those places were staples of my childhood. Plenty of good bars and a great music scene in Athens (keep your eyes open for members of REM and Neutral Milk Hotel/ Twin Powers/ Elephant 6. It's not uncommon to see them downtown. It doesn't happen daily, but you never know).

This is the most tourist list I've ever heard of. Criminal Records for sure, but Wax n Facts is also right around the corner. Junkman's has cool stuff to look at, but unless you want to buy something priced at double what you can get it for elsewhere you're just going to waste your time. There's also Decatur CD in Decatur and Sunbrimmer in Avondale, both about 15 minutes from Criminal Records in LITTLE Five Points - if you go to 5 points you'll be in the wrong spot.

Definitely Wuxtry in Athens but there's way better places to eat than what was listed. The Grit is cool if you're veg - if not don't waste your time. Mama's boy. 

This is the most tourist list I've ever heard of. Criminal Records for sure, but Wax n Facts is also right around the corner. Junkman's has cool stuff to look at, but unless you want to buy something priced at double what you can get it for elsewhere you're just going to waste your time. There's also Decatur CD in Decatur and Sunbrimmer in Avondale, both about 15 minutes from Criminal Records in LITTLE Five Points - if you go to 5 points you'll be in the wrong spot.

Definitely Wuxtry in Athens but there's way better places to eat than what was listed. The Grit is cool if you're veg - if not don't waste your time. Mama's boy. 

In fairness, he's a tourist.

We have a little list of stuff we wanna see and do in Nashville already but any suggestions are welcome.

Were in danger of information overload on this trip though as my wife contacted all the tourist offices in all the places we are going to and most have posted us guide books, the ones that wouldn't post to the UK we got sent to my parents in PA so I think there will be a fair amount of backseat driving I'm going to need to tune out.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case but wanted to offer it up in case you were just winging it haha

Michigan suggestions...

Dearborn Music (Dearborn): http://dearbornmusic.net/

Stormy Records (Dearborn): http://www.stormyrecords.com/

UHF Records (Royal Oak): https://www.facebook.com/UHFmusic?fref=ts

Encore Records (Ann Arbor): http://www.encorerecordsa2.com/

Flat, Black & Circular (East Lansing): http://flatblackandcircular.com/

The Corner Record Shop (Grandville): http://cornerrecordshop.com/

We have a little list of stuff we wanna see and do in Nashville already but any suggestions are welcome.

Were in danger of information overload on this trip though as my wife contacted all the tourist offices in all the places we are going to and most have posted us guide books, the ones that wouldn't post to the UK we got sent to my parents in PA so I think there will be a fair amount of backseat driving I'm going to need to tune out.

Definitely hit Fond Object and Grimey's in Nashville...can't miss at either!!

My experiences:

Grimey's in Nashville blew me away when I visited a while back.  Sounds Good Disc Exchange in Marietta, GA is only open on Saturdays, but this owner has a neat selection.  Just went today, selection sucks now.  I'm making my first trip back tomorrow after a couple years.  I think Wuxtry and Wax n Facts are overrated IMO.  Criminal probably has the best new record selection in town.  Fantasyland will have really kick ass deals on newer used stuff, but not so much on others.  Their new selection has doubled in the past year.