Pro-ject turntable question

On some yes which is true of a lot of this design of table. You can get a project speedbox though that controls the motor speed electronically and means you can switch the speeds easily and some of the Projects have this built in as standard.

If going down the speedbox route make sure you get the right one as some Projects have different motors.

The reason for this belt switching is cost and the excuse for it is that LP's are considered more HiFi than singles, some tables like the Linn LP12 only do 33 rpm.

The reason for this belt switching is cost and the excuse for it is that LP's are considered more HiFi than singles, some tables like the Linn LP12 only do 33 rpm.

This is incorrect.  You actually get better fidelity out of 45 RPM than 33 1/3 RPM.  There are "audiophile" pressings of LP's that play at 45 RPM.

I'd say it's partially true.

It's a cost saving measure and a sound quality measure.  It's easier to build a motor to consistantly rotate at a fixed RPM than at 2 or 3 different speeds.

My relatively expensive turntable requires me to move the belt the same as a low end pro-ject.

and then you are correct that 45 RPM vs 33 1/3 RPM is technically superior.  I think that he was referring to the fact that 12" LPs tend to be considered a "HiFi" format (even though they tend to be 33 1/3) versus singles that are traditionally a disposible, quick and dirty, medium.  they historically are mastered hotter, juke-box-fodder, etc.

This is incorrect.  You actually get better fidelity out of 45 RPM than 33 1/3 RPM.  There are "audiophile" pressings of LP's that play at 45 RPM.

Cost is definitely the reason as getting the operator to change the speed is a lot cheaper that doing it electronically or mechanically.

I was being a bit sarcastic with the excuse and yes that's very true and always been true that if it runs faster you get more medium to contain the sound and why proper reel to reel machines run at 15 or 30ips but it's quite a new thing when it comes to audiophile pressings.

When Hamish Robertson designed the Ariston RD11 that Linn copied completely to make the LP12 Lp's at 33rpm were the thing of choice for the audiophile and singles were a bit frowned upon., ironically the best vinyl record sound back then would be from 45rpm 12 " singles but not that many were well mastered.

I'd say it's partially true.

It's a cost saving measure and a sound quality measure.  It's easier to build a motor to consistantly rotate at a fixed RPM than at 2 or 3 different speeds.

My relatively expensive turntable requires me to move the belt the same as a low end pro-ject.

and then you are correct that 45 RPM vs 33 1/3 RPM is technically superior.  I think that he was referring to the fact that 12" LPs tend to be considered a "HiFi" format (even though they tend to be 33 1/3) versus singles that are traditionally a disposible, quick and dirty, medium.  they historically are mastered hotter, juke-box-fodder, etc.

Yup basically what I was getting at.

The sped control thing has always been a bone of contention, the engineer in me is torn between a simple well made AC motor and an electronically controlled AC or DC motor. My own preference is an electronically controlled DC motor as it guards against AC power fluctuations better but horses for courses.

Yup basically what I was getting at.

The sped control thing has always been a bone of contention, the engineer in me is torn between a simple well made AC motor and an electronically controlled AC or DC motor. My own preference is an electronically controlled DC motor as it guards against AC power fluctuations better but horses for courses.

You drive on the wrong side of the road, therefore, your opinion is suspect.

OK...thanks everyone's response.  What I am getting out of this is that you have to take the platter off to change the speeds, which simply doesn't work for me.  I have two kids and the last thing I want is for them to be messing with the turntable. 

With that said, is there a model you can suggest (either Project or Rega) that already has a speed button and doesn't involved taking the platter off?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got a Debut DC Esprit. While it sounds good I cannot for the life of me get rid of the motor hum AND what sounds to me like a grounding hum. I also have an old MCS 6700 which this was replacing and it's pure quiet compared to the project, no buzz no hum. I bought high quality RCA cables for the Esprit but that did not help.

I'm at a loss here, I almost feel like my previous table is better than this one. Am I crazy here? Should the project tables sound like this? Are they known to carry a light hum, does the motor bother anyone else?

I'm within my 14 day return window with TTL so I may just do that if there's no fixing this

I recently got a Debut DC Esprit. While it sounds good I cannot for the life of me get rid of the motor hum AND what sounds to me like a grounding hum. I also have an old MCS 6700 which this was replacing and it's pure quiet compared to the project, no buzz no hum. I bought high quality RCA cables for the Esprit but that did not help.

I'm at a loss here, I almost feel like my previous table is better than this one. Am I crazy here? Should the project tables sound like this? Are they known to carry a light hum, does the motor bother anyone else?

I'm within my 14 day return window with TTL so I may just do that if there's no fixing this

Mine is a few years old so I don't know if they still have this but there's some "transport screws" or something that had to be removed from the motor. Lots of people complained about hum on the old Carbons but I thought the DC model was supposed to eliminate it. 

Yes, I have the DC model. I thought you just had to loosen them, not remove completely but I could be wrong. It's mostly the grounding issue that drives me the most crazy. Is yours close to silent when you crank the volume before dropping the needle?

You could be right about loosening them, whatever the manual says is what you should do. I've got an Xpression III and I can here some noise through the speakers if I have it cranked without the needle down, I think that's fairly normal unless you've got a phono stage that's powered with batteries. I definitely don't have any motor hum or grounding issues though.