What's your primary reason for collecting vinyl?

Primary reason for collecting records?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Primary reason for collecting records?

• Sound quality
    • Owning a physical item
    • Investment
    • Trading
    • Other

I think vinyl collecting is a pulsing vein left in an otherwise dead delicacy. The satisfaction of purchasing music on CD and digitally is unmatched to picking out a vinyl, and really observing it. As others said before me, when listening to vinyl, I seem to pay more attention to the music. It's not just background noise. I collect for both the sound quality and the satisfaction of owning a physical copy. I like to own physical copies of every medium for my favorite bands, but vinyl is the most satisfying.

I think I started buying records in 2005, a lot of really cool bands from where I grew up were putting out records so it got me interested. Also a staple in our scene was a store called Siren Records in Doylestown, PA that put on shows and what not. Weird that most of my "rare" records are from shows I went to in Moose Lodges, record stores, church basements, etc. Didn't buy the Title Fight Kingston 7" thinking that kids were going to pay crazy money for it almost 10 years later.

Siren had some great shows back in the day. Saw Baroness there right after they released Two. I even remember seeing a show at the church around the corner from the first store after it closed.

• 2 weeks later...

I started collecting for the enlarged album artwork, liner notes, and all the cool color variants that match the album's color scheme

This is definitely how it started for me. For the past 4 or 5 years the only time I would buy it was when I went to a concert and they had it available. However over the past 6 months or so I've decided to try and build a small collection of a few of my favorite bands and then some. Listening to vinyl is awesome, but a majority of the time it's just not convenient. I doubt my collection will ever get very big, it'll probably stay small and concentrated.