Platter mat VS Slip mat

As a newbie I've been thinking about upgrading from the felt slip mat my turntable came with, to a cork platter mat as I've read it produces a better sound and may cure my static problem.

My only hesitation with changing is as i'm a bit of a clutz and I'm weary that if the record is 'stopped' currently the mat will slip but if I change to a platter mat if the same happens is it likely to damage the record or the turntable?? Are there any other pros / cons??

As a newbie I've been thinking about upgrading from the felt slip mat my turntable came with, to a cork platter mat as I've read it produces a better sound and may cure my static problem.

My only hesitation with changing is as i'm a bit of a clutz and I'm weary that if the record is 'stopped' currently the mat will slip but if I change to a platter mat if the same happens is it likely to damage the record or the turntable?? Are there any other pros / cons??

Not sure on whether it produces any better a sound from the records. Not sure what you mean about the record stopping suddenly either actually - do you mean mid-play?

I didn't want to have to post a huge article stating all my reasons and motivations but unfortunately I'm not the only one using the turntable I have a wife and kids and friends who use my turntable. For my first post on this site I was hoping that it would be full of knowledgable people who would post helpful answers and insights.

Be more attentive to your actions. Problem solved.

To clarify usually the record is being turned over before it has completely stopped spinning. Hence my original question.

That's never really a good idea as you are causing friction on the fragile playing surface regardless of the type of mat or platter used so I doubt for that it would make a lot of difference, but obviously if the mat moves with the record as the platter still spins then the friction is going on between the platter and mat rather than the mat and record so that might help in your choice.

To stop that sort of behaviour I employ shouting and in extreme cases violence when anyone else gets within 10 feet of my turntable which works for me.

Joking aside the playing surface of a record if handled and looked after properly will last for decades but not very long if it's not so it sounds more like a training and general care issue

That's never really a good idea as you are causing friction on the fragile playing surface regardless of the type of mat or platter used so I doubt for that it would make a lot of difference, but obviously if the mat moves with the record as the platter still spins then the friction is going on between the platter and mat rather than the mat and record so that might help in your choice.

To stop that sort of behaviour I employ shouting and in extreme cases violence when anyone else gets within 10 feet of my turntable which works for me.

Joking aside the playing surface of a record if handled and looked after properly will last for decades but not very long if it's not so it sounds more like a training and general care issue

In that case might need to stick with a slip mat to minimise the damage as I'm not always around to supervise little ( and big ) hands. After some strict training (myself included) static is my next biggest issue. Any suggestions??

In that case might need to stick with a slip mat to minimise the damage as I'm not always around to supervise little ( and big ) hands. After some strict training (myself included) static is my next biggest issue. Any suggestions??

a decent brush, an anti static gun and decent anti static inners all help as do acrylic platters and platter mats but acrylic isn't soft.

I use all the above and still get the problem every now and then 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have an auto-return turntable? If so, be sure to hit 'stop' or 'return' before stopping the record. If not, carefully lift up on the stylus when it's playing, and you can easily return it to the cradle before switching sides. Unless you have a direct drive turntable (with a motor, not a large rubberband-like belt), it's not a good idea to manually stop the platter when it's in motion.

As for the cork slipmat question, I've heard that they do produce a better sound quality, but unless you have a good setup you might not be able to notice all that much. The cork won't damage your records -- it's a soft material, and the worst it would do is leave some dust behind (like my felt slipmat does all the time).

Hope this helps. If not, sorry!

I didn't want to have to post a huge article stating all my reasons and motivations but unfortunately I'm not the only one using the turntable I have a wife and kids and friends who use my turntable. 

That's your first problem.

For my first post on this site I was hoping that it would be full of knowledgable people who would post helpful answers and insights.

That's your second.

• 2 weeks later...

Records should not be stopped "suddenly" when they are spinning.  Refrain from doing that completely.

Halt the player and then change the record.  One day either the record will scratch or you will hurt the electronics over time.

Second, sonic upgrades are ALWAYS in context of the system.  Any given change can be better or worse depending on how everything interacts with each other.  Cork can be an upgrade or downgrade.  You have to try it out and listen.  For YOUR listening tastes, it might be better or worse.  Also, there is a potential of changing VTA and SRA when you play with the thickness of the platter surface.  If the cork mat is thick, it will lower the VTA which will "warm" up the sound.  You might think it is the mat material when it is not.  U might have to adjust for the VTA, the stylus tracking force etc.  

For platter mats, compliant materials are generally warmer.  Harder materials are generally more upfront sounding.  You might PERCEIVE some "difference" to sound "better" depending on your listening experience, tastes, well being, mood, time of day, menstrual cycle etc. etc. :)

I find this system synergy and matching fun.  I also find that with more listening experience under my belt, I can tailor the sound to what I like.  I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks about the sound I created in MY room for MY tastes ;)

I sense my post is drifting from the OP's questions so I am going to stop now.