shaky floor + turntable!?

Hi guys.

I just bought a whole new hi-fi system including:

Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable

Marantz P6002 Amplifier

2 Audio Monitor floor speakers

the whole system cost me $2260

I have now installed it all and everything is working well with a fantastic sound, but there is one problem.

I live on the fifth floor with wooden floors, this means that I have to move around SLOWLY on my TOES in order not to make the record "jump" while playing.

What can be done to prevent this so I can walk around normally??

Best regards

/Rune

Hi guys.

I just bought a whole new hi-fi system including:

Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable

Marantz P6002 Amplifier

2 Audio Monitor floor speakers

the whole system cost me $2260

I have now installed it all and everything is working well with a fantastic sound, but there is one problem.

I live on the fifth floor with wooden floors, this means that I have to move around SLOWLY on my TOES in order not to make the record "jump" while playing.

What can be done to prevent this so I can walk around normally??

Best regards

/Rune

Can you adjust the weight of your turntable arm? If you made it a little heavier it might not skip as much.

Why do people pay $2000+ to listen to punk records?

Why don't you take a look at my collection before you say that ???

and whyyyyy would you bother to even type this!?!

I like quality sound and would rather pay $2000+ for better sound.

And by the way, I did not pay for it.

Not that I'm agreeing with what that guy said, but you did say "I just bought a whole new hi-fi system including" and "the whole system cost me $2260".

I actually had the same problem you did, but I put my turntable on a sturdy shelf that doesn't touch the floor, and it is fine now.

I have hardwood floors too and have wall mounted my table and amp using these little numbers:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=wallmountit1&cat=accessories〈=en

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=wallmountit3&cat=accessories〈=en

As for spending big money to listen to punk records, fuck yeah, do it! I spent that on my system and it sounds wonderful! If you're satisfied with a thin, crackly, mediocre sound, then by all means, don't spend the bucks, but if you want to hear music with rich audio, you've gotta spend the money.

Why don't you take a look at my collection before you say that ???

and whyyyyy would you bother to even type this!?!

I like quality sound and would rather pay $2000+ for better sound.

And by the way, I did not pay for it.

Not that I'm agreeing with what that guy said, but you did say "I just bought a whole new hi-fi system including" and "the whole system cost me $2260".

I actually had the same problem you did, but I put my turntable on a sturdy shelf that doesn't touch the floor, and it is fine now.

The reason I said that was because I wanted to state that with such a expensive hi-fi system, this problem is like thrice as annoying! :-)

As for now I don't have a shelf that does not have contact to the floor. I guess I'm gonna have to pay Ikea a visit then :-(

It's not my apartment, so I can't put more holes in the walls though. I've already ruined one wall!

God this sucks!

The reason I said that was because I wanted to state that with such a expensive hi-fi system, this problem is like thrice as annoying! :-)

As for now I don't have a shelf that does not have contact to the floor. I guess I'm gonna have to pay Ikea a visit then :-(

It's not my apartment, so I can't put more holes in the walls though. I've already ruined one wall!

God this sucks!

Ah okay, it did seem like you payed for it though.

Could you not put up a shelf using adhesive? I work at a hardwear store and we sell stuff that is apparently stronger than using nails...I'm not sure if I'd risk it myself though.

There are certain kinds of foam that will work very well for absorbing vibrations. You can often get free samples from industrial manufacturers or suppliers. The foam I used for my robot arms during Halloween would have been perfect. It was thin and kinda hard and strong, that dense foam would soak up the floor vibrations that your experiencing. A carpet is only cotten most of the time, that will not soak up vibrations as well.

There are certain kinds of foam that will work very well for absorbing vibrations. You can often get free samples from industrial manufacturers or suppliers. The foam I used for my robot arms during Halloween would have been perfect. It was thin and kinda hard and strong, that dense foam would soak up the floor vibrations that your experiencing. A carpet is only cotten most of the time, that will not soak up vibrations as well.

Adding on to this...what you really want is "Memory Foam". That shit would be PERFECT.

what is memory foam and what does it look like? and am I supposed to put under the turntable or under the unit my turntable is placed (that has contact to the floor)?

Memory Foam is used by NASA, and is also now used in pillows and beds. No idea where you could buy a small amount of it though.

I saw it on Pimp My Ride once. They put a full wineglass in the middle of a sheet of it, and then punched the foam all around it and it didn't even wobble.

memory foam is too soft, your turntable wont sit on it right, it won't be straight, its waaaaaay to thick. You need a 1/4" hard foam or something similar. Something you can press your nail or finger into with some pressure and that gives but it not too soft. Its gotta keep your turntable steady.