Looking to upgrade to a better system

So I am looking into upgrading my system. What I have isn't even worth mentioning. So I am looking at upgrading everything.

I do not want to really get a receiver. I am more interested in something like the Pro Ject phono box, and speed controller. I do have powered speakers. 

So far things I am looking into are

Sota Moonbeam II

Music Hall 2.2 

Rega RP1

Pro Ject 3.1

best options for preamp

Thanks,

Justin

So I am looking into upgrading my system. What I have isn't even worth mentioning. So I am looking at upgrading everything.

I do not want really get a receiver. I am more interested in something like the Pro Ject phono box, and speed controller. I do have powered speakers. 

So far things I am looking into are

Sota Moonbeam II

Music Hall 2.2 

Rega RP1

Pro Ject 3.1

best options for preamp

Thanks,

Justin

sup fellow Pennsylvanian! And the pro ject seems to be well received here by many.

The price range of the stuff you mentioned is kind of all over the place. If you can, go for a Rega RP3 package, it's really in a league of its own. If not, the Sota is a good choice as well.

Also, like allenh said, there's no reason to go for such a good table if you'll just use it with powered speakers that in your opinion aren't even worth mentioning.

So bacically:

- do you really want to upgrade everything, or just the table?

- how much are you willing to spend?

There are great options even if you want to avoid a separate amp and just buy powered speakers, but everything that's good also costs.

Thanks for the responses. What isn't worth mentioning is the all in one stereo with bookshelf speakers. The powered speakers are something my wife had for her computer set up. They sound great when watching movies, and were a decent set a few years back. I just can't remember what they are. The salesman showed me a set up of powered speaker by AudioEngine. I was looking for a minimal look, and not to go cheap on the system. So if powered speakers would make the set up lame, I am open to adding a receiver and getting good speakers. With that said my budget would be around $1500.

Most receivers I look at are older ones with good reviews for around $200-400.

I saw a set of Advent speakers for around $150. A buddy has a set, they sound really good with his NAD receiver and Marantz 6100 table.

If I went with the Sota at $750 that comes to around $1300.

I just have been researching for a few weeks and now open for other opinions. 

While many might disregard powered speakers completely, you can still put together a superb setup with them. There are limitations though. Since you want the minimalist approach, you cannot expect a small bookshelf speaker to fill the room as well as a big floorstander would. As for the sound quality, the same level is achievable regardless of the approach.

Though the Sota is the best table of the ones you listed, it would take up too much of your budget for an evenly balanced setup.

I'd spend the $1.5k like this:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable - $400 (around $360 if you manage to get a discount)

Cambridge Audio Azur 651P phono preamp - $230

M-Audio M3-8 active speakers - $700

A pair of solid speaker stands - $100-$150

Cables - whatever's left

Thanks for the responses. What isn't worth mentioning is the all in one stereo with bookshelf speakers. The powered speakers are something my wife had for her computer set up. They sound great when watching movies, and were a decent set a few years back. I just can't remember what they are. The salesman showed me a set up of powered speaker by AudioEngine. I was looking for a minimal look, and not to go cheap on the system. So if powered speakers would make the set up lame, I am open to adding a receiver and getting good speakers. With that said my budget would be around $1500.

Most receivers I look at are older ones with good reviews for around $200-400.

I saw a set of Advent speakers for around $150. A buddy has a set, they sound really good with his NAD receiver and Marantz 6100 table.

If I went with the Sota at $750 that comes to around $1300.

I just have been researching for a few weeks and now open for other opinions. 

Good call on that Cambridge Audio Azur 651P phono preamp. I always forget about the moving magnet/coil configurations.

I can testify to the goodness of Audioengine speaks, for the money.  I've got the non-powered P4s, driven by a Rotel amp and the Azur 551p pre-amp.  You don't need the 651p unless you plan to have a MC cart.

If you want to do this the right way, forget the powered speakers.  Search audiogon.com for a reasonably priced used integrated amp.

Lancaster and Reading? Damn! I'm in Northampton, work near-ish Reading. 

Anyway, with a $1500 budget, my set up would fit the bill. Technics SL1200's are pretty common and you can find them for around $300 online. Dynaco A-25 speakers are also pretty common, and you'd spend maybe $100-200. Both solid pieces of equipment and pretty popular in terms of "old" gear within this price range. 

My amp isn't a great example, but there are plenty of old integrated amplifiers for around the $200-400 mark. Add it all up along with any necessary cables/stands, and you'd have a solid set up for under $1,000 IMO. Which leaves you $500 for more records. :) 

Or if you want to splurge more and get the Sota, go for it, especially if you plan on doing more upgrades down the road. But otherwise, it's generally better to sort of "balance" your set up, as in getting components of relatively equal quality. 

I imagine I'm going to be heavily in the minority here, but I'd get a Rega RP3 with an Elys2 ($1095), then throw whatever the hell my budget would allow after it. You have no idea how good powered speakers can sound when you give them a poper source. I've thrown Linn LP12s in front of $300 PSB speakers (it's shocking). Also, this allows you to upgrade post-turntable for a long time. You can grab a stereo integrated or receiver at some point and jump to passive speakers later...

EDIT: You have no idea how good almost any speaker can sound with a solid source in front of it.

$1500 can build you a really nice system. 

Do you have room for floor standing speakers, or just monitors? 

I have half of a bedroom I can dedicate to this system. Floor standing speakers can be an option.

I just wanted to keep things to a minimum not because of money or space, but because of aesthetics. I just didn't want a big box receiver if there are other options. 

• 1 month later...

So to resurrect the dead. I had a buddy give me a dead Nad 7400 power envelope (fixed it cheap), and I bought some klipsch kb15 speakers on clearance. Now just the table is left.

I'll probably go with the pro ject carbon. Then I'll be way under budget. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.