^same can be said about many talented artists. I doubt that's the core of who they are, but some people seem to predominantly put on that sour personality for public perception. I'm sure sam is a really nice guy whenever he's not attempting for the opposite perception. But this is a dude who often expresses that sentiment through his art. He has many songs that reference consciously attempting to not be kind to people he isn't close to. That doesn't excuse it, but it signifies rudeness is not his core trait, rather a chosen one. And of course his body of work puts the blame predominantly on pills and other drug use--which of course can drastically affect one's reasoning.

All I know is the dude is one of my favorite musicians. My one interaction with him (brief emails back whenever an abundance of strawberries dropped) showed him as an incredibly nice guy appreciative of someone who enjoys what he creates.

Plus you knew the guy as a teenager in high school right? I was probably a selve-serving prick as a teen schoolkid too lol.

College. UMD.

Also, dude literally picked up his guitar in the middle of people chilling and started singing. His ego is so large, he literally just always wants to be the center of attention.

just gonna say one more thing and stay out of this after this. his hypocrisy really bothers me too. he obviously doesn't like the teen suicide stuff and the scene that's associated with, and it's going to be even more ridiculous once (redacted) since he obviously doesn't care for that at all. it's quite apparent why they currently are doing stuff even after being broken up

just gonna say one more thing and stay out of this after this. his hypocrisy really bothers me too. he obviously doesn't like the teen suicide stuff and the scene that's associated with, and it's going to be even more ridiculous once (redacted) since he obviously doesn't care for that at all. it's quite apparent why they currently are doing stuff even after being broken up

PM me the redacted.

I think its the same as mat denouncing the sad-teen scene that sparked up in the last few years, and the fact that their songs are often clinged to by the kids. He may not be a depressed wreck in bed sheets, but I wouldn't call it hypocritical. I think they create music that correlates to what they enjoy and feel, and listeners prop it up on tearsoaked pedestals, which conflicts with the more laidback intentions of the artists. I get the vibe they try to make fun music to share with their friends and that they are bothered whenever listeners take it out of context to fuel their self centered shallow sadness

I think its the same as mat denouncing the sad-teen scene that sparked up in the last few years, and the fact that their songs are often clinged to by the kids. He may not be a depressed wreck in bed sheets, but I wouldn't call it hypocritical. I think they create music that correlates to what they enjoy and feel, and listeners prop it up on tearsoaked pedestals, which conflicts with the more laidback intentions of the artists. I get the vibe they try to make fun music to share with their friends and that they are bothered whenever listeners take it out of context to fuel their self centered shallow sadness

i can bet he much prefers the music he makes with julia brown and REA to anything teen suicide does

i can bet he much prefers the music he makes with julia brown and REA to anything teen suicide does

I agree, and understandably so. REA is my preferred project of his. And whenever I told him that whenever requesting the download for an abundance of strawberries he said that album was in some ways a companion piece to 3LS. So he seems to think of REA and Julia Brown as someway correlating

My thing is that that Sam Ray has so many project and it's gotten to the point where they've become an ambiguous homogenized sound. with Ricky Eat Acid being the exception. Like I love his work and to be honest I'd get him to produce my first album but honestly:

Starry Cat sounds like early Julia Brown demos, and To be Close To You which sounds like Teen Suicide B-Sides with female vocals and slight changes, and Cute Boy Kissing Booth sounds like he was trying to find his sound before the Boy Crush Split, and his work on that split resulted in an Abundance of Strawberries.

Like I love love love the music he makes but you could change names of bands on some of these albums and I wouldn't doubt you for a minute. 

My thing is that that Sam Ray has so many project and it's gotten to the point where they've become an ambiguous homogenized sound. with Ricky Eat Acid being the exception. Like I love his work and to be honest I'd get him to produce my first album but honestly:

Starry Cat sounds like early Julia Brown demos, and To be Close To You which sounds like Teen Suicide B-Sides with female vocals and slight changes, and Cute Boy Kissing Booth sounds like he was trying to find his sound before the Boy Crush Split, and his work on that split resulted in an Abundance of Strawberries.

Like I love love love the music he makes but you could change names of bands on some of these albums and I wouldn't doubt you for a minute. 

Doesn't Julia Brown have a different Lineup? 

Wasn't Starry Cat a solo project released for Caroline's surgery or something?

Sam Ray and his Samwich Shop of Songs

Doesn't Julia Brown have a different Lineup? 

Wasn't Starry Cat a solo project released for Caroline's surgery or something?

Starry Cat was but he put out the Boy Crush/Starray Cat Split in October so I think he did have intentions of expanding it.

Julia Brown's lineup changes a lot with no real solid members other than Sam. But with Sams hand in it, it sounds like all the other Sam Ray projects if that makes sense.