I made a Cruel Summer bootleg. Doing Death Grips - Government Plates next

Guest jonpasqual

Guest jonpasqual

Might be semi-interested in Gov't Plates when more info surfaces.

So... How exactly did you end up doing this? I've been asking around for years about how first-time vinyl bootlegs are manufactured, haven't gotten a straight answer yet.

Also, even though I'm pro-bootleg, I'm pretty surprised more people aren't jumping down his throat for this. I asked about doing things like this when I first joined and got skewered. Just a little odd to me.

idk man. I'm cool with boots as long as the packaging looks and feels legit. :)

Guest jonpasqual

I'm only cool with boots if the record in question is long out of press or just never pressed (which happens a lot with mixtapes).

If the artist has pressed a record in the past and it's a good record odds are it get's repressed in this day and age.

exactly! I'd NEVER! make a boot of something that already exists. this album WAS available for preorder on Amazon when it came out (Sep of 2012). They never sent it out, offered refunds and its still up for preorder! its not happening. I really wanted it in my collection and considered making a super tight run for anyone interested in owning one. Never in a million years would I consider pressing something that already exists. As someone that owns a pretty decent amount of rare stuff (captain murphy, exmilitary, deja entendu. etc) I'd be pretty pissed. 

Guest jonpasqual

So... How exactly did you end up doing this? I've been asking around for years about how first-time vinyl bootlegs are manufactured, haven't gotten a straight answer yet.

I can not teach you how to fish. 

Well. I have to step in here a minute. Are you, jonpasqual, for real bootlegging records? And peddling them on here? 

I ask because it's a very, very grey area around here when it comes to straight-up bootlegs. I will say as much, and with some feedback from the powers-that-be, that it's frowned-upon and essentially now allowed here. 

It's one thing for people to report and post on bootleg editions of records found out there (i.e. Tool's '10,000 Days', Frank Ocean, etc.). It's a different animal when it comes to someone coming in here to say "Hey! I am going to bootleg this record! Who's interested?". 

Having been a mod and now Admin of these boards and community for a few years on now, I have not honestly say that I do not feel comfortable and/or in the best interested and safeguarding to have these "peddled" here. if you choose to move forward with your venture, so be it. But please do not bring it directly here to us. There is not need to have VC caught in some crossfire of legality or not with bootlegs. 

Again, I am looking out for the best interest of this community. 

Yeah. Gotta stand with Juan here.

It's weird. I mean, I don't feel bad about buying bootlegs under the right circumstances. But I'd hate to see any part of VC turned into a black-market storefront for anyone who is doing something that is bordeline... illegal? (I don't know, is it? Maybe not. Don't know. I feel weird asking.)

If the OP wants to conduct something like this via e-mail or a personal blog or something like that, I feel like that would be better.

I ask because it's a very, very grey area around here when it comes to straight-up bootlegs. I will say as much, and with some feedback from the powers-that-be, that it's frowned-upon and essentially now allowed here. 

Oh, that reminds me. Someone bootleg The Powers That B.

Kidding.

It's weird. I mean, I don't feel bad about buying bootlegs under the right circumstances. But I'd hate to see any part of VC turned into a black-market storefront for anyone who is doing something that is bordeline... illegal? (I don't know, is it? Maybe not. Don't know. I feel weird asking.)

It's 100% illegal. The artist, label,producer etc. doesn't get any money for the work they put in.

There was this video of Neil Young finding some bootlegs of him in a record store and getting mad at the guy behind the counter (seems to be removed of youtube though).