Paypal Increases Dispute Window from 45 to 180 days

futures

I just talked to PayPal and the only thing they said is to make sure your listings (on eBay, etc.) are very detailed and that you have exact pictures showing your item and even take photos of the item in packaging.

I also asked about peer-to-peer (sending money for goods and services) and the PayPal person said to document in the notes details of what the buyer is buying from you. 

PayPal also said if the buyer leaves you feedback on eBay, that's good too and should end/finish the transaction. 

Now every paypal seller is essentially offering a 6 month warranty on used items. I would expect the buyer's remorse claims to increase tenfold with this extension, too. Having sold items on sleazeBay for the last 15 years, I have seen a significant change in the level of flaky buyers. I spent many years without encountering a single irrational/flaky buyer - now the number seems to be approximately 1 in 5.  Extending the window to 6 mos for them to file a claim is absurd.

As a buyer, I feel this extension is irrelevant. 45 days is FAR longer than I need to make a judgement if a seller is ripping me off and a claim needs to be filed.

This is BS, I found this on another forum:

Don't forget that sellers are also going to be required to pay return shipping for SNAD cases now! So if someone decides they are done renting your bag/shoes/dress the not only do you have to refund their original purchase price and shipping, but you have to pay for them to return it as well! AND you don't get any fees returned! Yaaaay!

You have to pay return shipping AND you do not get your PayPal fees back! 

SNAD=Significantly Not As Described 

It looks though as if "Personal Payments" are not covered under this new policy, so peer to peer transactions should be safe i.e. here on VC.

Don't understand what you are saying. Are you talking about gifting payments because those were never covered and that makes no one safe.

Don't understand what you are saying. Are you talking about gifting payments because those were never covered and that makes no one safe.

All PayPal says on their site is "Personal Payments" so what I mean and discern from that is "Goods and Services" payments will not be subject the new policy changes. So not gifting. 

This is horrible for the seller of any item. On the 179th day simply snap photos of used item in bad shape and claim it was sent like that and the seller is screwed

If I ever run a small shop, I'm asking for gifted payments only and I'll explain how the 180 day window puts a seller at a disadvantage in the long haul against scammers.