Velvet Underground & Nico, Newbury pressing

eshame

I ordered this because, well. I always wanted a good stereo copy of this. But now looking at the last time universal pressed this, it was from digital intermediates and not cut from the actual master. I don't see any way of cancelling this or even viewing my order on their crappy website, so if that turns out to be the case for this pressing, it can go to anyone on the board here, or up on eBay. No room in my collection for digital vinyl. I already have the HDtracks

Theres no way this is not digital. It would be waaaay too expensive to cut a limited quantity variant repress all analogue from the original analogue master. As long as you buy nothing but 60s-70s first presses or mfsl, 99% of your collection are digital.

Theres no way this is not digital. It would be waaaay too expensive to cut a limited quantity variant repress all analogue from the original analogue master. As long as you buy nothing but 60s-70s first presses or mfsl, 99% of your collection are digital.

.. unless they used plates that were cut from analog.... rip off 4000 black and 1000 for newbury, or just pull them out of storage and blow the dust off.

Really not at all accurate, for various reasons. I will mention that the Jimi Hendrix "Newbury pressing" on purple haze vinyl was in fact cut from the analog master tapes, within the past decade, and has received high praise for it's sonics from people who've received it.

There really is no such thing as a Newbury pressing, they are more like an exclusive variant. They simply contract a portion of the pressing of whatever version of the record is currently in print. In this case, it happens to be a lackluster Universal pressing.

There are plenty of reissues out there done exclusively within the analog domain. And I purposefully avoid unnecessary digital recordings. Therefore, 99% of my collection, even solely counting new vinyl, are analog recordings. I, with very rare exception, only buy digital on wax when it is an album that was natively recorded and mixed digitally and happens to be a better mastering than what is actually made available digitally.