Velvet Underground & Nico, Newbury pressing

eshame

For those from outside the area who might not know, Newbury was one of the only places in Mass./New England trying to keep vinyl alive before it got trendy again. Even when vinyl sales were next to nil, they always stocked new releases -- especially from local punk/HC bands -- and kept a vinyl section in pretty much all of their locations. As I'm sure a lot of other people from the area could attest, in the pre-MP3 era, Newbury was essential to my musical upbringing. Yeah, they're not the same little punk rock company that started 35 years ago, but so what? All businesses have to adapt. If flogging some overpriced records to people silly enough to buy them helps keep the doors open, like someone else said, more power to them.

Wow. I haven't looked at the "Newbury Exclusives" since they did Bleach. Now I check and they're selling Bleach for $79.99? Fuck them. 

Yeah, them holding back copies of that and then trying to sell them at double their initial price is despicable. Plus pretty much the only ones that have sold on ebay recently have been under $50. Some as low as $30. I won't ever order anything from them again.

For those from outside the area who might not know, Newbury was one of the only places in Mass./New England trying to keep vinyl alive before it got trendy again. Even when vinyl sales were next to nil, they always stocked new releases -- especially from local punk/HC bands -- and kept a vinyl section in pretty much all of their locations. As I'm sure a lot of other people from the area could attest, in the pre-MP3 era, Newbury was essential to my musical upbringing. Yeah, they're not the same little punk rock company that started 35 years ago, but so what? All businesses have to adapt. If flogging some overpriced records to people silly enough to buy them helps keep the doors open, like someone else said, more power to them.

YUP. Newbury is where I bought all my CDs growing up (it was always cheaper than Sam Goody or whatever else was at the mall), and their vinyl selection is one of the reasons I started collecting back in the early 00s. 

I'm on the fence about their markups. On the ones hand, it's really shady. On the other, I sort of admire them for having the balls to take the profits that would otherwise go to flippers.

Take a deep breath because what I am about to tell you is going to be like Inception, mind-boggling almost, but....

...they are the flippers.

Take a deep breath because what I am about to tell you is going to be like Inception, mind-boggling almost, but....

...they are the flippers.

I don't know, maybe this is a controversial stance, but I somehow feel different about handing money directly to an artist or label, and in this case Newbury Comics is the de facto label.

They went to the trouble of licensing the release, having it pressed, and distributing it; it's not really the same as giving money to some guy who bought one and is reselling it on eBay.

This and all Newbury "releases" are all in-print titles. The extent of their effort expended is contacting the label to say "hey, next time you order a repress, if you press 1000 on colored vinyl we'll buy them all." No licensing, no involvement in pressing, no extra effort to distribute since they are already a record store that regularly receives orders from distributors.

They are the flippers. They're just a big enough company to commission flippable editions of someone else's work, then flip a thousand of them at a time. In a microcosm of American capitalism, it becomes acceptable to rip people off if you are organized enough and do it on a large enough scale. I say fuck 'em, and it's a pretty easy decision, since, again, all this stuff is in print and widely available.

This and all Newbury "releases" are all in-print titles. The extent of their effort expended is contacting the label to say "hey, next time you order a repress, if you press 1000 on colored vinyl we'll buy them all." No licensing, no involvement in pressing, no extra effort to distribute since they are already a record store that regularly received orders from distributors.

They are the flippers. They're just a big enough company to commission flippable editions of someone else's work, then flip a thousand of them at a time. In a microcosm of American capitalism, it becomes acceptable to rip people off if you are organized enough and do it on a large enough scale. I say fuck 'em, and it's a pretty easy decision, since, again, all this stuff is in print and widely available.

Nailing_it_2.gif

10572103_744625502268242_260784816025708

This is the only album I have in a frame on my wall. That's because it's an unpeeled first stereo pressing with the torso back cover and I have a 3 year old. It's a perfect record and wished the represses sounded as good as this one. I've never heard the original mono but I had a stereo Polydor repress and it was virtually un-listenable compared to this. I need a playable copy and I'll check out the Back In Black one. My Sublime S/T BIB sounds great.

Holy shet. That is seriously nice dude. I don't even care if it were in pieces I just wish I could score one for less than a bill

I ordered this because, well. I always wanted a good stereo copy of this. But now looking at the last time universal pressed this, it was from digital intermediates and not cut from the actual master. I don't see any way of cancelling this or even viewing my order on their crappy website, so if that turns out to be the case for this pressing, it can go to anyone on the board here, or up on eBay. No room in my collection for digital vinyl. I already have the HDtracks