Velvet Underground & Nico, Newbury pressing

eshame

Something interesting about this record is that I don't think there has been an official repress for 20 years besides the Sundazed box set. The ones you see at record stores are usually the Cobraside pressings, which I don't think are official. 

This is an official reissue.

http://www.discogs.com/Velvet-Underground-Nico-The-Velvet-Underground-Nico/release/1999562

now, im all for a moderate-sized record stores ability to repress these great albums and provide something unique to the people that want to pay for it.  its actually pretty innovative, and im not sure how they manage to license some of these, but thats beside the point. the prices have not historically been unreasonable, when you factor in limited runs and market demands, although this one is pushing it.

with that said, they definitely price their items and adjust the prices based upon the secondary market.  i cant believe they are selling their remaining copies of bon iver - for emma for $65

10572103_744625502268242_260784816025708

This is the only album I have in a frame on my wall. That's because it's an unpeeled first stereo pressing with the torso back cover and I have a 3 year old. It's a perfect record and wished the represses sounded as good as this one. I've never heard the original mono but I had a stereo Polydor repress and it was virtually un-listenable compared to this. I need a playable copy and I'll check out the Back In Black one. My Sublime S/T BIB sounds great.

Their markup based on the secondary market is so insulting, it's not even funny. So the initial cash grab is not enough for them, they gotta jack the prices WAY the f*ck higher from their already high prices. I can't believe people pay it.

I can, all of their releases are purely targeted towards collectors. Sure lots of people will buy these and listen to them but these are being marketed to variant and limited edition collectors who primarily care about the value of their collections.

Speaking of this topic, are there any versions of this album in particular that are better than the others? There's, like, 30 different pressings of this damn thing.

I have one of the black Verve re-issues from the 70's that I paid $4 for back in the day. Gatefold, printed banana, no torso.

It sounds GREAT :)

Keep in mind, it is "tinny" sounding record. Not really an "audiophile" recording to begin with IMHO...

However, I love this record. Really the antithesis of the hippy stuff that was popular at the time.

Could be the worlds first "alternative rock" album

;)

Something interesting about this record is that I don't think there has been an official repress for 20 years besides the Sundazed box set. The ones you see at record stores are usually the Cobraside pressings, which I don't think are official. 

This has been in print for years. They did Mono, yellow vinyl, 180gm, etc (all on Verve). Are you saying those aren't official? They have to be. There is no way that record could be so readily available everywhere for years and not be official.

Well, more power to them, I suppose.

right now the bleach stuff is cheaper on the secondary markets, ha.

im with ya jez on this.. its their business to run how they want..  if i want it ill pay for it .. if I dont then whatever.  sink or swim, it's their business model.  Same goes for "flippers".. do whatcha do.

** broke down and ordered late last night.. woke up this morning to an error screen, I had reversed some CC #'s, happy to see a few are still left.