What's your favorite album of 1998?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this probably influenced a lot of people to not like Bad Religion

agreed, I love BR but this album... well lets just say we pretend it didn't happen. :)

Im gonna have to third the notion on this album, and they have been my number one band since about 94, but that album was crap. I remember hoping for so much after grey race because they still did it with no brett (thats just an opinion) but man, that album makes New America look like against the grain...

seriously....regardless on wether you like them or know, bands like korn, limp bizkit, insane clown posse dominated teenagers headphones in 1998...and they dominated the pages of Mr. Scott heisel's music mag then too.

they influenced tons of people due to the exposure...hindsight is 20/20...but if i didnt listen to korn in 98' my friend mike wouldnt have made me a copy of issues he downloaded off napster before its release...

which is important for me cause he wouldnt give it to me until i sat down and listened to the dillinger escape plans calculating infinity from begin to end. which is how i got into metal.

and i also wouldnt have ever heard saves the day, the get up kids or braid if it wasnt for korn...i became friends with a dude in the class above mine because i heard korn playing in his car in 1998...which is how i discovered them myself.

and this dude(tom) introduced me to all those bands and more down the road...

so if it wasnt for bands like korn or system of a down or whatever...i wouldnt listen to any of what im into now...i tried and go back and see what i saw...and couldnt...it seemed very immature...but i was 15/16...i WAS immature...and this helped me grow.

seriously....regardless on wether you like them or know, bands like korn, limp bizkit, insane clown posse dominated teenagers headphones in 1998...and they dominated the pages of Mr. Scott heisel's music mag then too.

they influenced tons of people due to the exposure...hindsight is 20/20...but if i didnt listen to korn in 98' my friend mike wouldnt have made me a copy of issues he downloaded off napster before its release...

which is important for me cause he wouldnt give it to me until i sat down and listened to the dillinger escape plans calculating infinity from begin to end. which is how i got into metal.

and i also wouldnt have ever heard saves the day, the get up kids or braid if it wasnt for korn...i became friends with a dude in the class above mine because i heard korn playing in his car in 1998...which is how i discovered them myself.

so if it wasnt for bands like korn or system of a down or whatever...i wouldnt listen to any of what im into now...i tried and go back and see what i saw...and couldnt...it seemed very immature...but i was 15/16...i WAS immature...and this helped me grow.

its really no different then all the grunge bands and NIN and things like green day and offspring becoming huge around 1994 that opened the doors for me and alot of my friends...

though i do feel the latter lacks a bit more in substance then what was going on in the early 90's they both essentially did the same thing...discontent angry sounding stuff on the mainstream radio/tv = kids finding out about the underground. happened before and im sure it will happen again, shit i know one kid who it is happening to now...

Korn may have been some people's gateway into good underground music, but that doesn't make any of their albums the "best/most influential/scene-changing of 1998". It just means that alot of people were listening to crappy nu-metal in 1998, and some got into better music. Obviously it was influential to you, but to those who were already listening to punk/hardcore/metal/etc, Korn was just a terrible mainstream band.

Fucking End of the Ring Wars

Though personally I was listening to Garage Inc nonstop. I was also quite in to Hole - Celebrity Skin, and Eve 6 - S/T. It took me a few more years to find the punk. I too was gradumacating high school that year and starting college.

Good albums from '98 (ones I didn't see mentioned):

Brandtson - Letterbox

Cake - Prolonging the Magic

Cross My Heart - S/T

Jejune - This Afternoon's Malady

The Living End - S/T

Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane, Over the Sea

Offspring - Americana

-Less Than Jake-Hello Rockview (was my favorite band even back then)

-Reel Big Fish-Why Do They Rock So Hard? (no Turn The Radio Off, but still a really good 3rd Wave ska album)

-The Mighty Mighty Bosstones-Live At The Middle East (My favorite live album to this day)

-Rancid-Life Won't Wait (My favorite Rancid album, the only one I still listen to start to finish)

-The Vandals-Hitler Bad, Vandals Good (Got me into The Vandals)

refused -- no explanation needed

rancid "life won't wait" -- as if this didn't get a ton of kids listening to the clash

unwritten law -- totally awesome, listened to it more than i'd care to admit, but i'm not sure about the influential factor

all "mass nerder" -- still in my top 15 albums of all time, so i'd say throw it on there

alk3 -- i'm pretty sure that'll make the cut no matter what