Promo copies

I am much more a listener than a collector so I don't really care if I get a "promo" stamped copy if it's in great shape and sounds good. However I recently bought a Sigue Sigue Sputnik promo record and it is different than the regular release. Not a huge difference but some of the song intros I am used to are not there.  Wondering if this is fairly normal for promo copies. If so I will avoid them.

It's discogs. Use it to look up your records, find info about them. Everybody wins.

Yep, very familiar with discogs, I've had my own page for a while. I have a couple of promo stamped copies in my collection but this one was the first one that had some differences from the regular release. My question was whether or not this was the norm.

In your instance the promos may have been pressed as test pressings. Those were given out, but ultimately the band/label went with a different mix of the records. For promo copies they are usually the same mix as the full LP pressing. 

Thanks!

Acting like Discogs is guaranteed to have the info he's looking for is hilarious. Its like Wikipedia for records.

If it's not there already (saves you a lot of time if it is), then you add YOUR copy and information, so people coming after you will benefit.

Where did I say 'guaranteed'?  or anything? You project your own interpretation - nice condescension.

Your type is common here though. Part of cyberworld.

If it's not there already (saves you a lot of time if it is), then you add YOUR copy and information, so people coming after you will benefit.

Where did I say 'guaranteed'? or anything? You project your own interpretation - nice condescension.

Your type is common here though. Part of cyberworld.

Yeah, I get that. Hence the comparison to Wikipedia. I seem to have terrible luck finding things on there. Bought a few Into It Over It LPs at a show the other night and one of them wasn't on there. It happens quite a bit actually, especially with later pressings.

And dude, don't act like I'm the biggest asshole here. To be honest, your comment was like the nicest thing anyone on here has said to me yet. This board is extremely difficult to get people to

accept you and be cool with you.

Acting like you've been here for years when you've got 10 posts is hilarious. It's like you think you're a contributing member of the forum.

One of those ten posts is actually in the RSD thread where I offer to help people get things they can't find. I'm trying to be a contributing member. I've been collecting long enough to know that Discogs isn't 100% correct, but since I haven't been on this glorious board long enough, I'm automatically wrong and know absolutely nothing about records.

One of those ten posts is actually in the RSD thread where I offer to help people get things they can't find. I'm trying to be a contributing member. I've been collecting long enough to know that Discogs isn't 100% correct, but since I haven't been on this glorious board long enough, I'm automatically wrong and know absolutely nothing about records.

It's your attitude, dude.

We all know discogs isn't always 100% correct, but you coming at a mostly helpful, known user the way you did is a good way to make everyone think you're a real asshole.

And so I don't come off like a hypocrite, most users on here know that my other account is banned at the moment for a poor decision on my part, but this is me:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/user/17263-garbage-golem/

It's your attitude, dude.

We all know discogs isn't always 100% correct, but you coming at a mostly helpful, known user the way you did is a good way to make everyone think you're a real asshole.

And so I don't come off like a hypocrite, most users on here know that my other account is banned at the moment for a poor decision on my part, but this is me:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/user/17263-garbage-golem/

My bad for the 'tude. Older users need to cut new users some fuckin' slack though. There's no way for me to tell who's been here forever, and I don't care a whole lot anyway. With time, I'll do my fair share of helping people. As long as more people aren't totaly dicks to me, then I won't help. I posted in the RSD thread that I liked the Lego movie, and they immediately assume I'm some Crosley-using idiot.

To be honest bro, you've been here since December, you really should have a 900 post average   :rolleyes:  :lol: ...hence the hazing.