cartridge thread that y'all are gonna hate

No one has mentioned static build up yet.

But coming in on this late it sounds very much like the phono stage in the amp to me, there are a lot of later Japanese receivers that are perfectly adequate but with piss poor phono stages because it was an afterthought when they were built

e.g I've got an Onkyo AV receiver that I can get to sound ok with most things but the inbuilt phono is crap to the point of being un-listenable.

The conspiracy theorists at the time would have you believe it was done to make CD's sound better but it's probably more a case of they couldn't be arsed to do it properly.

As kannibal suggested try and borrow an external phono stage from someone

I had a vintage Kenwood KR 8050, look it up, awesome receiver, but like you, something was not right when playing records, everything else sounded great. I bought a new turntable, project expression III with a 2mred, since the one I was using was borrowed. Still didn't sound right...replaced the receiver and have never looked back...can't get enough of listening to vinyl now. Suggestion, borrow a different receiver if you can and see if it makes a difference. Kenwoods are known to have great stereo reception etc..but they lacked putting effort and quality into the phono stage

I had a vintage Kenwood KR 8050, look it up, awesome receiver, but like you, something was not right when playing records, everything else sounded great. I bought a new turntable, project expression III with a 2mred, since the one I was using was borrowed. Still didn't sound right...replaced the receiver and have never looked back...can't get enough of listening to vinyl now. Suggestion, borrow a different receiver if you can and see if it makes a difference. Kenwoods are known to have great stereo reception etc..but they lacked putting effort and quality into the phono stage

Well, here you go.

It has worked perfectly fine with other turntables with different cartridges... Anyway this was more of a troll thread as I had the plan to get a linear tracking turntable and sell the Pro-Ject as I've been discouraged with this almost since I got it but if people took it seriously they may of had a fix of my problem... thanks y'all lmao

It has worked perfectly fine with other turntables with different cartridges... Anyway this was more of a troll thread as I had the plan to get a linear tracking turntable and sell the Pro-Ject as I've been discouraged with this almost since I got it but if people took it seriously they may of had a fix of my problem... thanks y'all lmao

This made you laugh your ass off? I feel sorry for you.