A discussion (somewhat) about electronic music

I went to bonnaroo and caught a bunch of electronic acts. Overall they were great. Last year the biggest electronic show was skrillex. I actually liked his last album, however, during his performance he stopped the music every minute to ask the crowd how they were feeling that was a major turnoff.

Jaime xx was a real solid show. It was just him and he didn't have a microphone. He really got the crowd moving.

Deadmau5 was a big spectacle the mouse trap ball was pretty cool. Music was good and it was very loud. It really felt like it was you and him instead of him trying to get the crowd "hype".

Bassnectar was the opposite of that. He brought the bangers and drops but was at least able to let his music play without interrupting it to talk. The crowd was really packed and a dude was creeping on my wife and put his around around her and then tried again after she removed it the first time. We moved and didn't have any more problems.

Sylvan esso was half electronic show half poppy hip hop. The electronic portion was really cool and utilized a Minimal approach to not over ride the vocal performance.

Tycho and sts9 provided live electronic music. Some people in my group said tycho was boring and it was useless trying to explain that is just how they are. If you are looking to rage it isn't the place just let them enthrall and captivate you. Sts9 crosses well over to the jam band side but still have a strong electronic presence. It was the longest show of the festival at 2:45 and very sweaty and dancey set.

There were a bunch of other djs that I caught but they didn't stand out enough to comment.

Nice Bonnaroo update. Wish I could have made it out there. STS9 is awesome live. I'm always happy to catch them at random festivals and they never disappoint. Excited to see Jamie xx later this year. Haven't seen the other bands live, but sounds about like what I'd expect.

Did you catch any of the Odesza or Flying Lotus sets? I've seen both put on killer sets.

New Maribou State LP, which is out already, is worth a listen if a mix of SOHN, Burial and Zero 7 sounds like your thing - http://ninjatune.net/release/maribou-state/portraits

this is a solid listen. grabbed the digital. when it comes to getting under-the-radar electronic vinyl in the US, i gotta be really picky, as each standard release can set me back $30. was happy to grab the new HVL - Away From Everything We Know [EP] from Amoeba for $12, as that alone just starts to cover the Euro shipping costs.

I went to bonnaroo and caught a bunch of electronic acts. Overall they were great. Last year the biggest electronic show was skrillex. I actually liked his last album, however, during his performance he stopped the music every minute to ask the crowd how they were feeling that was a major turnoff.

Jaime xx was a real solid show. It was just him and he didn't have a microphone. He really got the crowd moving.

Deadmau5 was a big spectacle the mouse trap ball was pretty cool. Music was good and it was very loud. It really felt like it was you and him instead of him trying to get the crowd "hype".

Bassnectar was the opposite of that. He brought the bangers and drops but was at least able to let his music play without interrupting it to talk. The crowd was really packed and a dude was creeping on my wife and put his around around her and then tried again after she removed it the first time. We moved and didn't have any more problems.

Sylvan esso was half electronic show half poppy hip hop. The electronic portion was really cool and utilized a Minimal approach to not over ride the vocal performance.

Tycho and sts9 provided live electronic music. Some people in my group said tycho was boring and it was useless trying to explain that is just how they are. If you are looking to rage it isn't the place just let them enthrall and captivate you. Sts9 crosses well over to the jam band side but still have a strong electronic presence. It was the longest show of the festival at 2:45 and very sweaty and dancey set.

There were a bunch of other djs that I caught but they didn't stand out enough to comment.

I went this year! it was my first time!

and I have to agree Jamie XX absolutely killed it AND he was spinning real vinyl live for us. 

In my opinion the highlight of the weekend was Flying Lotus - the man dj'ed live, rapped as his alterego Captain Murphy, and played an unreleased Chance the Rapper verse as well as the unreleased Siren Song with the Kendrick Lamar verse.

Bassnectar was going off too, I've seen him twice before but that night he was on a mission to slay a crowd. Definitely killed it.

Also idk if you checked out that Christmas Club Barn thing out for the Full Service Party - the dj's there threw down pretty dope sets, Thursday night they played some hardcore moombahton and dancehall and it was absolute chaos

Nice Bonnaroo update. Wish I could have made it out there. STS9 is awesome live. I'm always happy to catch them at random festivals and they never disappoint. Excited to see Jamie xx later this year. Haven't seen the other bands live, but sounds about like what I'd expect.

Did you catch any of the Odesza or Flying Lotus sets? I've seen both put on killer sets.

Odesza and flying lotus overlapped completley  with deadmau5 and sts9. I actually went to the odesza tent first but realized i was in the wrong stage right before they started and ran over to catch the beginning of sts9. A little disapointed that they didnt play to sunrise, but i finshed each night at kalliope stage once the tent acts ended. 

Some people I was with caught some flume and they were really impressed with that set. 

I went this year! it was my first time!

and I have to agree Jamie XX absolutely killed it AND he was spinning real vinyl live for us. 

In my opinion the highlight of the weekend was Flying Lotus - the man dj'ed live, rapped as his alterego Captain Murphy, and played an unreleased Chance the Rapper verse as well as the unreleased Siren Song with the Kendrick Lamar verse.

Bassnectar was going off too, I've seen him twice before but that night he was on a mission to slay a crowd. Definitely killed it.

Also idk if you checked out that Christmas Club Barn thing out for the Full Service Party - the dj's there threw down pretty dope sets, Thursday night they played some hardcore moombahton and dancehall and it was absolute chaos

I went to the christmas barn on friday right at 2pm and friday late night around 4am. Both sets were run of the mill hip hop / bass / mashup type stuff. I had a better time at kalliope than the barn. 

For those of you that don't know, Jack Ü is finally getting a vinyl release hopefully in July. I went to radioactive records in Ft. Lauderdale and for $2 you reserve and get a limited double sided flexi disc with Where Are Ü Now and To Ü. 

some people on discogs already being ridiculous here: http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/7134557?ev=rb

• 1 month later...

Been a while since last post.  Thought this band deserved some attention.  The Beta Band.

Repress of the 3 albums that somewhat made up "The Three EPs" (of High Fidelity fame)

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/114835-po-beta-band-the-three-eps-separately-rp/

If you want to know a little more about this group, I encourage you to search away.  One of the best, imo.

Side Note - One of the members of Django Django is a brother/cousin (can't recall) to one of the members of the Beta Band.  If you like Django, I believe you will dig the Beta Band

Since I posted earlier in this thread about Senor Coconut, I thought I'd do a follow up post regarding a record I bought today.

Haven't listened to this yet but it appears to be the precursor to Senor Coconut from 1969. I'm expecting some ultra-sexy time music from this one!

Genuine Electric Latin Love Machine "Persuasive" Electronics by Richard Hayman. I think I'm gonna persuade some ladies to drop their pants with this one. 

IMG_20150801_145050.jpg

I also purchased Country Moog: Switched On Nashville. I was going to post an image of this as well but while I was posting this, Folsom Prison Blues came on and I figured I'd link the song instead because it's amazing:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Sorry to top an old thread, but maybe someone here would know. 

I see Kraftwerk is reissuing most of their catalog on colored wax. I assume these are the 2009 remasters. How do these sound on vinyl? I know no one has the colored pressings yet, but does anyone have the a newer issue that they comment on?