Most important link in the chain

So, I guess I have my own opinion, but what do you guys think? How do you rank the different components as far as difference in sound quality?

I.E. Which component do you get the most bang for your buck upgrade wise? Speakers, turntable, amp, preamp, cables?

Obviously crap in = crap out, but beyond that, where is the money best spent when building a hifi rig?

It makes the most sense to first put your money into the turntable first.

I agree, and that was my first, I guess "big" purchase when upgrading from cheap, whatever I could find, used equipment. Every piece in the chain plays a part, but I've noticed the biggest upgrade in quality when I've upgraded to decent speakers and preamp.

Here's my opinion on it: rspeakers > media > turntable rig > preamp >> amp >>>> cables

I've bought a few myself, and I don't know if I've just never owned a nice enough tape deck, but I've literally never heard a good sounded cassette.

Really? I realize cassette isn't the format to go with if you're concerned about having the best audio possible, but with that being said, I have three decks (nakamichi, tascam, akai) and they all sound really good. Perhaps I just haven't heard top notch audio before.

Really? I realize cassette isn't the format to go with if you're concerned about having the best audio possible, but with that being said, I have three decks (nakamichi, tascam, akai) and they all sound really good. Perhaps I just haven't heard top notch audio before.

Maybe I should said I know I have never had a decent tape deck, as I generally buy used, but yeah. I've never heard a tape sound anywhere close to being decent. I'm not knocking people buy like them, but they always sound like garbage to me which sucks because at one point I had some really cool tapes in my collection.

Luckily for me I've been around long enough to have heard and owned the best the cassette has to offer and a good cassette deck can sound very good indeed and a good Nakamichi or Studer/Revox sounds amazing.

Tape decks like record players were made to play mediums that were the only mass way of distributing music so in terms of quality from absolute turd all the way upto the very best were available and the very best still makes a lot of money

The good thing about cassette now is that you can pick up a very good 3 head machine for next to nothing, like all other hifi though if the rest of the system isn't upto the quality of the cassette deck you won't get the best out of it. The downside is finding good quality blank media with decent chrome and metal tapes selling for quite a lot of money if they are sealed and unused.

I'll be fine though

DSCF7313_zpsrtvhc3t3.jpg