Spending 2 weeks in Melbourne (Australia, not the shitty Florida knock-off) - what should I do?

Little reiteration of the subject, but I'm going to be in Melbourne for a few weeks next month and I'm looking for suggestions on things to do.  The friend we're visiting will be working during the day, so I'll have plenty of time to kill until he's off.  I'm going to be bugging him about this stuff, but other people's experiences would be nice to have as well.

If you've visted or live(d) there and can give me any of the following, I'd appreciate it

• vegan food
  • record shops (obviously)
  • places with pinball machines
  • venues to checkout
  • beer to look for (I'm not sure what Australia's beer scene is like)
  • tourist shit that's worth doing
  • coffee roasters
  • general advice about visiting Melbourne

Anyway, if you have suggestions on any of those (or even just things that you enjoyed and think I should check out), let me know!

Thanks!

check out missing link record store upstairs on bourke street. 

heaps of good beer. go to beer deluxe at federation square for a bunch of NZ and aussie beers, terminus hotel, mrs parmas (amazing food and all beer from victoria state). carwyn cellars, slow beer and catfish (has pinball) are good too. foresters bar often have punk gigs and always have good beer on (and the pizzas are good too).  

aussie breweries to look out for will be moondog, mountain goat, boat rocker, evil twin, and tons more. nz breweries you will find around there will be panhead, tuatara, epic, parrotdog & garage project, all good stuff. 

tons of vegan food in nortcote/fitzroy, and everywhere really - where abouts are you staying?

lord of the fries is ok, but if you or your partner are vegan you will find tons of better places :)

https://www.minotaur.com.au/is on elizabeth street and if you are into tv/pop culture type shops you will enjoy it there. 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!    Going to start looking up places and making notes.

tons of vegan food in nortcote/fitzroy, and everywhere really - where abouts are you staying?

We'll be staging in Northcote.  My friend says he lives right by the Loving Hut, which make makes me pretty happy.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!    Going to start looking up places and making notes.

We'll be staging in Northcote.  My friend says he lives right by the Loving Hut, which make makes me pretty happy.

yeah that place is great! i think the whole chain of loving huts are run by some cult hah.

theres a pub near there called the peacock inn which has pinball machines too and carwyn cellars is just down the same road a bit further.

yeah that place is great! i think the whole chain of loving huts are run by some cult hah.

theres a pub near there called the peacock inn which has pinball machines too and carwyn cellars is just down the same road a bit further.

Haha, yeah.  The ones I've been to have had a total cult vibe to it!

yeah, definitely check out Missing Link Records.

Depends what beer you enjoy but Stone & Wood Pacific Ale, and Matso's Mango Beer are both awesome (if you like fruitier beers) & reasonably easy to find. Also check out beers by Feral Brewing (Hop Hog is great, as well as their Smoked Porter). If you want a heap of beers to choose from, go to a place called Cookie in the CBD which have like 150-200 beers. There are even a few breweries in nearby suburbs such as Moon Dog or Mountain Goat.

Finding good coffee is not an issue, as there are little cafes everywhere down alleyways in the city. My go-to spot is Brother Bada Budan on Little Bourke Street.

There are a few shows that I'll be at over the first weekend of September which, depending on when you're going, you might want to check out. Self Defense Family are playing a few shows, and there are some Modern Baseball/Iron Chic ones going on too. I usually use this site to see what's coming up when I'm going interstate.

Lots of tourists like seeing St Kilda beach area which includes a crappy little amusement park called Luna Park. I would definitely recommend seeing a footy game (AFL) and in September, its finals season so it should be a great atmosphere. If you're into street art, there are a few cool alleyways around the place but Blender Studios (near the Queen Victoria Markets which might interest you for souvenirs etc) is probably the best of them. If you have time, there are also companies that do bus day trips along the great ocean road for some cool sightseeing.

When you're in the CBD, there is a free city circle tram which makes it really easy to get around. But walk wherever you can because there are cool shops/cafes/sights hidden everywhere. And I don't know much about vegan options or pinball, but I found a map of pinball spots here