Custom Turntable Weights

So after speaking with the production side of this little project, it looks like to have production costs low so they'll be at a reasonable price, it looks as if we're going to have to produce around 30 so that we can sell them at ~$50 Canadian each.

So would you guys that are interested in buying one of these weights be willing to pledge to a Kickstarter or Indiegogo so that we can get concrete numbers and go into production? The only additional thing that would have to happen is I'd have to contact you to pay a second time for shipping as prices fluctuate from shipping inside Canada and outside so I wouldn't include shipping in the Kickstarter price.

Ah. But isn't $50 about the going rate, though? I would be on board, but there's really nothing about this, that looks enticing. The price point would've been great at around $30, but capitalism unfortunately.

Ah. But isn't $50 about the going rate, though? I would be on board, but there's really nothing about this, that looks enticing. The price point would've been great at around $30, but capitalism unfortunately.

Yeah, $50 seems to be the going rate these days. I was also hoping for somewhere around $30. I guess turntable weights are simply pretty expensive to produce.

From what I can tell the only weights that are around $30 are ones that have been produced in China, so I feel as if that explains why their price is so low considering most go for ~$50-100.

If I were to sell them for $30 that would just cover the aluminum and not the cost of the machinist who is creating them each individually.

As I've said before I'm not looking to quit my job and sell record weights or anything, I just thought it would be cool to make these and give people handmade record weights.

Yeah, $50 seems to be the going rate these days. I was also hoping for somewhere around $30. I guess turntable weights are simply pretty expensive to produce.

$30 is about the highest I'd be willing to spend on a weight. Not that I think this is a bad idea, but $50 is a lot of an accessory I don't necessarily need.

Can these be made with a cheaper material coated in plastic? It would be cool to have one in a bright ass green or orange color with a $20 price tag. I know nothing of this market though, just wishful thinking.

$30 is about the highest I'd be willing to spend on a weight. Not that I think this is a bad idea, but $50 is a lot of an accessory I don't necessarily need.

Can these be made with a cheaper material coated in plastic? It would be cool to have one in a bright ass green or orange color with a $20 price tag. I know nothing of this market though, just wishful thinking.

There are ones from a Chinese seller on ebay for $28ppd. Comes in black and silver, also has a built in level. Not a bad deal, and have a decent weight to them.

$50 CAD is $38 USD.

This. Sorry I've been speaking in Canadian dollars, I didn't even realize the current discrepancy in the dollar values (Haven't been buying enough records!). So yeah, for all of those deterred by the $50 price tag, does it being ~$38 USD change your minds at all?

Especially since ten of these would cost less than either one of those 6 alone :D

Speaking of, is there any single one in the $100 range that you've found to be a particularly good value for money?

Wait a second, did I ever even post which weights I use and have?!??  :huh:  :ph34r:  LoL

Link some weights here in the $100 range that you are considering...also, what turntable are you planning to use them on.  Have to be careful as some tables could be exposed to weight stress that they aren't designed for.  Might work fine, but might put undue stress on the platter bearings, or throw off the usability of the suspension being used etc.

Basically, you have to put some thought into it rather than just add on a weight.  They ALL sound different depending on mass, material choices, technical approach etc.

Wait a second, did I ever even post which weights I use and have?!??  :huh:  :ph34r:  LoL

Link some weights here in the $100 range that you are considering...also, what turntable are you planning to use them on.  Have to be careful as some tables could be exposed to weight stress that they aren't designed for.  Might work fine, but might put undue stress on the platter bearings, or throw off the usability of the suspension being used etc.

Basically, you have to put some thought into it rather than just add on a weight.  They ALL sound different depending on mass, material choices, technical approach etc.

Yeah, I think I remember you posting about a Stillpoints weight.

I have a Clearaudio Solution (the smallest model in the range), I was actually thinking more in line with clamps rather than weights. Have been close to pulling the trigger on the clearaudio twister clamp many times, but never did. Also like the look of their concept clamp. Both of these can easily be found under $100 used. On the other hand, the JA michell clamp is half the price. I'm not really looking to fine-tune the sound, just need something that works well and won't be a sonical disaster :)

I've always been much more of a fan of clamps rather than weights but that's probably because I prefer suspended tables over fixed and they are great for giving a belt drive table a helping hand on start up to cut down on belt stress

There does seem to be much more choice in weights though which I suppose because they are easier to make

I've always been much more of a fan of clamps rather than weights but that's probably because I prefer suspended tables over fixed and they are great for giving a belt drive table a helping hand on start up to cut down on belt stress

There does seem to be much more choice in weights though which I suppose because they are easier to make

I thought it was kind of odd that my table came with a weight instead of a clamp, but I'm sure h/k designed the suspension to deal with it since it came with the table new.

Yeah, I think I remember you posting about a Stillpoints weight.

I have a Clearaudio Solution (the smallest model in the range), I was actually thinking more in line with clamps rather than weights. Have been close to pulling the trigger on the clearaudio twister clamp many times, but never did. Also like the look of their concept clamp. Both of these can easily be found under $100 used. On the other hand, the JA michell clamp is half the price. I'm not really looking to fine-tune the sound, just need something that works well and won't be a sonical disaster :)

Oh yes, I guess I did post about some clamps.  

The Clearaudio Solution is a very nice turntable.  If I were you, I would get the Clearaudio Twister Clamp.  It not only couples the record to the platter, it ensures a nice tight fit once you twist the stainless steel knob for an even tighter coupling.  It WILL change the sound, mostly for the better as the stylus will see, effectively, a 4 lb record (platter coupled with the actual record itself).  A sound that Clearaudio envisions.

Different clamps / weights will all change the sound so you can always change to taste if you desire.  But for the first clamp, definitely go with the factor ones.  I would get the twister of the concept clamp.

• 2 weeks later...