Adjusting to a Cork Mat

Question: I have a Project Debut Carbon with the Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge and was using the stock felt mat up until I recently upgraded to a cork mat. It was recommended that I apply 1.75 grams of weight to the tracking force while using the stock felt mat, but my question is wether I would I have to change the amount of weight I am applying now that I have the cork mat? If so, can anyone shed some light as to how much?

Here is the mat in question: 

http://www.needledoctor.com/Simple-Mat-Record-Mat

Only reason why I am asking is because I was spinning The Starting Line's Direction and was getting a weird pitch during some parts of some songs. Sounded like the record was playing just slightly out of tune. Some of the isolated instrumentation sounded a half step lower than where it normally sounds. But then I played Death Cab's Kinstugi and it sounds just fine? Thinking The Starting Line might be a lemon, but still wanted to see if the tracking force was a potential factor here? 

Thanks! 

Short answer is no

You are not changing anything that will affect the tracking force requirements so the only thing the mat could possibly affect in regards to arm and stylus set-up is the arms VTA because it might be thicker or thinner than the stock felt mat but I doubt that as the cork mats are made with the replacement of a felt mat in mind.

The change of mat should make a difference to the sound though because you have changed the mechanics of what the record sits on when the stylus tracks it's grooves which will have a big effect.

I have the same table as you, and it took me all of about 2 days to get fed up with the amount of static generated by the felt mat once I brought it home...grabbed a cork mat to replace it, and haven't regretted that purchase on single bit. I'm not sure I can pick out much of a sonic difference - maybe a little 'darker' tone to music than before - but the decrease in static was noticeable the first day. You won't have to change any of the tracking force or anything, as has already been said, because the mat is designed to be a direct replacement.

• 2 weeks later...