Currently Reading:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling through Keruac's On the Road at work when it's slow, but when there's even just 1 kid around, they think it's fun to pester as I try to read. "What are you reading? What's it about? That sounds boring... why are you reading anyway? Reading sucks!" I think I'm 60 pages in through 8 days of trying to read it.

At home I've got "The Code" going. It's a book about fighting in hockey, but it's not that well written and I bought it on a whim. I'm quickly losing interest, especially because it's repetitive.

On deck is Fight Club. I've never read any of his books, and I love that movie, so it made sense to pick up the book.

Guest baseball

Just finished Shroom: A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom, started out kind of slow the first 100 pages or so, too much information too fast. But the writing really improved after that and the second 2/3 of the book finished really strong.

Currently working my way through Dr. Andrew Weil's amazing body of work. On From Chocolate To Morphine right now. Aptly titled, it's an unbiased/factual and scientific look at a huge variety of legal and illegal mind altering substances including their history, how they are derived/created, how they chemically affect the brain/body while under the influence, precautions, benefits, drawbacks, etc.

Also borrowed a couple more Andrew Weil books from my parents, Eating Well For Optimum Health and Natural Health, Natural Medicine.

Also grabbed American Gangster and other Tales From NYC. Book's marketed for the recent movie but really only like 40 pages or so are about Frank Lucas, the rest is various other stories about NYC's history.

Then I bargain binned "I Heard You Paint Houses" Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran & the Inside Story of the Mafia, the Teamsters, & the Last Ride of Jimmy Hoffa for $5. Seemed interesting enough to justify the cost.

Started doing some reading on meditation and breathing exercises and stuff too.

Recently finished "Out of the Silent Planet" by CS Lewis, and now I'm moving on to "Perelandra".

this is my favorite set of books. be prepared if you take on that hideous strength, it takes far longer than the first two combined.

i've been meaning to read these for the past five or six years...

just something always seems to jump in front.

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, by Chuck Klosterman, based on a recommendation from a thread on this board. It is very funny and very good.

i love all of klosterman's books. unfortunately... i loaned my copy to a friend and i'm pretty confident i'll never see it again.

That book is in my pile of books to read. I look forward to it.

Guest kingbuzzo
I hope they serve beer in hell

I bought that earlier in the year. It was pretty funny but doesn't warrant the Bukowski comparisons I've heard.

I just read Snuff by Palahniuk. It was ok, the only book of his I really enjoyed besides Invisible Monsters.

I just started Indian Thought and It's Development.

Just finished Foundation. The book overall was pretty interesting, but I was kind of let down by the semi constant revolving door of characters as the book progressed through time. I realize there aren't really any other ways of doing it, but it made it slightly harder to keep interested.

• 3 years later...

Currently working my way through GRRM's second installment of the Songs of Ice and Fire Series: A Clash of Kings. I'd like to have it finished before the 2nd season of Game of Thrones airs on HBO (4/1/2012) so it doesn't end up spoiling anything for me. At this rate I should be well into my way into the 3rd book if not finished with it.