Car troubles.. worth it?

I have a 1993 Lexus ES300. Right now it's sitting at the shop and it has issues all over:

-front and back valve covers leak oil -> $515

-oil filter extension housing leaks -> 200

-o-ring for the distributor leaks -> 160

-backside of the timing covers leaks -> 675

------

That's $1550 for stuff that needs to be done.

There's also a possibility that there's a leak by the main crankshaft seal, but it's too hard to tell because so much else is leaking. --> $1360.

Then, just to be an asshole, the car is missing a splash cover on the bottom which is a dumb piece, but every puddle I hit or snowpile I drive through makes the steering lock up when I turn. That's an extra $175.

Edit: Grand total of $3085 including parts, labor, and taxes.

The car is in good shape otherwise. It had it's transmission replaced a year and a half ago, the body is pretty good, it's still getting good gas mileage. Kelly Blue Book has it as a $5400 resale value if it was in excellent condition and as is, it's a $2300ish trade-in value.

If this were your car, what would you do? Keep in mind the hassle of getting another car, the unknowns of what's wrong with that one, registration fees, etc and the fact that I can't buy anything resembling a new car. I really have no money, but my grandfather is willing to cash in part of my inheritance early, which will bring me about $6000 max.

If the engine solves your problems, that's a no-brainer.

But $3000+ on that car? Probably time for a new one. I've been driving a '93 Corolla for about 10 years and it now has nearly 200,000 miles on it. Things rarely break on it but I'm always fine with replacing the brakes, tires, battery, etc. from wear and tear every so often. Still far cheaper than a car payment. But the price range you're talking about is pushing it unless the mileage is still pretty low

Yea that sounds nuts, and I would never put that type of money into a car like that. But if you can't afford any type of monthly payments, I don't know what to say. Usually if you can get some sort of trade in value and some money for a down payment you can get payments pretty low, even for a new car. That's what I did.

I HATE paying for car repairs. And car payments in general, for that matter.

It's necessary, but it hurts.

I'm in the same boat, lately I've found myself wanting to just fix/maintain the small things myself. It's soo much more rewarding. Unfortunately, I can't change my own oil at my apartment.

Sux

Jiffy Lube last told me that the air filter should be replaced and that it was be $40 to do it including labor. I was like umm fuck that, and did it myself for $20 for the part only

that sounds like a HUGE ripoff. I'm assuming you're not mechanically inclined/have tools? Because you should be able to fix all of those things for $500 or so yourself and most of them wouldn't be very difficult. Most of it you should be able to do with a decent set of metric sockets, some screwdrivers, and grease. Crankshaft seal would probably be a pain though.

I'm kind of sceptical that it's actually leaking from all of those places at once - seems pretty unlikely. If it IS, I'd go ahead and replace the whole motor.

I'm not mechanically retarded, and I don't trust that mechanic at all, but I don't know nearly enough to do it myself. I wish I did.

My mechanic is usually pretty good though, he's looking at it for free for me when he can squeeze it in because he doesn't believe it's leaking everywhere either.

take that money and move to a big city(im enjoying NYC) then just sell the car.

you can find an apt in jersey city near a lightrail station for around 1800 a month, with a couple roommates it could feasible bring that to aobut 600 amonth for you.

im just sayin..i had a 1991 pontiac grand am...i sold it and moved here...and they only wanted 800 for the exhaust....i just couldnt justify it...

if you get a new engine for it, make sure you get it fully reconditioned before it goes in.

i tend to agree with the other folks that its totally not worth spending that kinda cash on fixing it - if all that shit is actually wrong with it. you could strip it down and sell off the parts?

hopefully, your mechanic will tell you what REALLY is wrong with it and you may only be looking at 500 - 1000 to fix it rather than 3k.