Comics (possible spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read World War Hulk? Is it any good? and if I'm going to pick it up, do I need all the offshoots (Frontline, Hercules, X-Men, etc...)? Or will I be okay with just the main TPB?

i bought WWHulk issues... i don't know if you should waste your time. If you want to see the Hulk beat the shit out of a lot of people, then pick it up. but the story(if there was one) didn't do it for me...

Has anyone read World War Hulk? Is it any good? and if I'm going to pick it up, do I need all the offshoots (Frontline, Hercules, X-Men, etc...)? Or will I be okay with just the main TPB?

i bought WWHulk issues... i don't know if you should waste your time. If you want to see the Hulk beat the shit out of a lot of people, then pick it up. but the story(if there was one) didn't do it for me...

I think I'll pass on it then. I recently finished Planet Hulk, and I really enjoyed that. But I was on the fence on WWH since I'm not the biggest Hulk fan. Thanks for the input.

I've never seen the appeal of the Hulk as a character. He seems kind of like a tard. Anyone want to point me to a good Hulk read?

It's not a traditional Hulk tale, but "Startling Stories: Banner" by Brian Azzarello and Richard Corben is one of the best IMO.

You might want to check out this one since you are a HC kinda guy... http://www.mycomicshop.com/graphicnovels/item?IID=9224161

It collects the first year of books when Bruce Jones was writing Hulk along with Startling Stories: Banner. When Bruce Jones was writing the book, it was more about Bruce Banner being on the run and less about Hulk Smash! It was a pretty good series at that time.

order the Punisher Max HC's from amazon or somewhere. they're only $30 SRP, $20 on amazon, and are 2 trades in one basically. they're really nice. plus it's probably ennis' second best work behind the boys. that's right, preacher is 3rd.

What are the Punisher Max stories like? I enjoyed the 12 issue series from 2000 that Ennis wrote. But in the regular MK series it seemed like Ennis was trying too hard to shock people. When he gave the Russian tits, that was strike 1. Then that retarded Wolverine story where they are fighting midgets and Wolverine's face is blown off the entire time, that was strike 2 and 3 for me. I gave up on the book after that. That stuff works in Preacher or The Boys, but I expect the Punisher to be a more serious book. Does Ennis actually tell good serious stories in the Max series or is it just more shocking bullshit?

planet hulk was a good read i thought.

MAX is totally fucked up. there are tons of bodies, messed up storylines, and the arcs i've read so far have usually ended with bloodbaths. there's no superheros in the universe, and Frank is what his real age would be considering his origin. it's really well done i'd say. the widowmaker storyline's ending is really shocking. it's the first full arc i started picking up when i got back into comics. i'd say it's much better than the ongoing MK series, and as good as the Welcome Back Frank story.

planet hulk was a good read i thought.

MAX is totally fucked up. there are tons of bodies, messed up storylines, and the arcs i've read so far have usually ended with bloodbaths. there's no superheros in the universe, and Frank is what his real age would be considering his origin. it's really well done i'd say. the widowmaker storyline's ending is really shocking. it's the first full arc i started picking up when i got back into comics. i'd say it's much better than the ongoing MK series, and as good as the Welcome Back Frank story.

Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. I just really got tired of the gimmicky shock value stuff Ennis was doing in the MK series (ie: Russian with tits). More killing I can handle.

My current pull-list at my local comic shop is as follows:

- The Boys

- Kick-Ass

- All-Star Batman & Robin

- All-Star Superman

- Wolverine (for the next 8 issues)

- Ironman: Viva Las Vegas (Mini Series)

- RASL (released sparsely)

- Optic Nerve (released annually, on average)

- Anything by Evan Dorkin (again, annually)

- Anything by Jim Mahfood

Collections definately worth reading:

- Preacher

- All the Sin Citys

- Kingdom Come

- Civil War

- Dark Knight Returns (and to a lesser extent "Strikes Again")

- Batman: Hush

- Scud: The Disposable Assassin (which will be released in 1 volume next month-ish)

- Ironman: Extremis

- Superman: Red Son

- NYX

Thanks for more recommendations! I've got a lot of reading to do!

In the past two weeks I've gotten:

Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: Year One

Planetary Vol 1

Planetary Vol 2

Planetary Vol 3

Daredevil: Yellow

Astonishing X-Men Vol 1

Wolverine: Origin

and the GF got me Absolute Watchmen

since I'm still in the process of unpacking and buying new shelves to accomodate all my books/trades/etc... it's hard to rattle off all the amazing books that are out there....I just hope everyone, even the skeptics are taking notes on some of these ideas! There are so many comics out there that are just as rewarding as typical classic literature, if not more so. so in the words of the mighty Aaron Danger: "Get Stoked!"

Alright, I'm getting paid for the first time in a month (because I started a new job) and I'm going to be able to afford one of the following. Which should I pick up first?

Absolute Sandman Vol 1

Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween (I have read before)

Absolute Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (I have read before)

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus

Captain America by Ed Brubaker Omnibus, Vol. 1

Alright, I'm getting paid for the first time in a month (because I started a new job) and I'm going to be able to afford one of the following. Which should I pick up first?

Absolute Sandman Vol 1

Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween (I have read before)

Absolute Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (I have read before)

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus

Captain America by Ed Brubaker Omnibus, Vol. 1

I vote for Daredevil.

My favorite run on a series by any writer/artist ever.