Comics (possible spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found my answer:

"#12 is a fill-in issue that doesn't advance the plot one whit. It ends in exactly the same place it begins. So it's cut for space.

#16-19 is Bendis's debut storyline, but it doesn't really relate to the rest of his stories. So it's used to pad out the last volume instead of kicking off the first volume.

#20-25 is a decent enough storyline, but it's by a completely separate creative team (Bob Gale and Phil Winslade, if I recall correctly). As such, it doesn't really fit in the hardcovers."

I cant believe no one has mentioned DMZ

hard to follow issue to issue so I would recomend the pb trades unless your an uber nerd (like myself) and just cant wait.

also The Sword, holy fuck I cant get enough of the Luna Brothers work

and if your going to read The Sword you should give Girls the time of day as well

16-19 is a self contained story that Bendis & Dave Mack did before Bendis took over the book for good. Bob Gale wrote issues 20-25.

in my opinion, i would just skip over 20 - 25. Bendis and Maleev did an amazing job, but i didn't enjoy Gales' bit at all.

Absolute Sandman Vol 1

Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween (I have read before)

Absolute Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (I have read before)

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus

Captain America by Ed Brubaker Omnibus, Vol. 1

i would also say Daredevil, because it is so classic. but Brubaker has done so well with Captain America that you should pick that up as soon as possible.

i will wholeheartedly recommend the walking dead.

pick up the big hc omnis because they include alot of oneshots and cool side story lines in the ends of each of them...and those were never reprinted in the trade versions...the x-mas story in the end of the 1st volume brought a tear to my eyes..

the thing about this series is...dont pick it up looking for a zombie book..its a book about the relationships between the characters...it just happens to happen during a zombie apocalypse...which causes interesting plot twists...

If you're looking to pick up trades and read self-contained stories rather than picking up a new regular book, I'd highly recommend:

The Authority (a bunch of trades by Warren Ellis and Mark Millar)

Top 10 (Alan Moore)

Fables

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Alan Moore)

I don't buy many trades as I mostly buy individual issues, and thus have little need for the trades, but those are some of the best books to read in trade form.

Yo, Walking Dead can suck it now. The past 4-5 issues have been terrible IMO due to the fact that Bendis is trying to reinforce the well known fact in the story that "no one is safe." Steer clear of the current Amazing Spiderman run, shit is so weak. If I was you, I would deff. pick up Y: The Last Man, Fables, Civil War trades and one of the best comics ever, Watchmen.

and Scud is getting released? i used to love that book in high school, i have the Sega Saturn game and everything.

After a 10 year wait, Rob Schrab finally decided to write the final 4 issues of Scud. I'm pretty sure they are all out now. I'm not a fan of the series, but I still picked up #21 'cause it has a sweet Ashley Wood cover.

Read through Astonishing X-Men vol 1 today. Pretty awesome stuff. Any one know when vol 2 is due out? Now I'm debating on whether to go ahead and pick up the Daredevil collection or hunt down the New X-Men series. I've also found someone who will sell me both volumes of Absolute Authority. I'm not sure what to do, as my cash flow is limited. I'm also debating on whether or not to pick up the first couple volumes of Runaways. It seems like a pretty rad read.

Runaways is pretty good, though it really hasn't come out much at all lately. Brian K. Vaughn rarely disappoints, with the exception of the last few books of Y: The Last Man. It got pretty stupid a while back, but the ending just made me angry.

If you want to get down with the current movie scene, Mark Millar's Wanted book is pretty great. The movie is supposed to deviate pretty far from the original storyline, but it looks hot nontheless.

I'd definitely get Authority stuff, though you could probably just get it 1 trade at a time and save yourself the scrilla.

And as mentioned above, Walking Dead is not written by Bendis, so I don't see how he'd be able to have any input whatsoever in a book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image, a completely separate comic company. I do agree that it's getting kind of weak. My main problem is with how slow shit has been going for the last 3 or so years. If you read it in trade form it seems fine, but if you read individual issues it crawls.

If you want to get down with the current movie scene, Mark Millar's Wanted book is pretty great. The movie is supposed to deviate pretty far from the original storyline, but it looks hot nontheless.

I'd definitely get Authority stuff, though you could probably just get it 1 trade at a time and save yourself the scrilla.

Mark Millar's Wanted is so good, but the movie is going to be totally totally different. i'm suprised their using the name, actually.

And I agree with getting into The Authority. it's so good...

I do agree that it's getting kind of weak. My main problem is with how slow shit has been going for the last 3 or so years. If you read it in trade form it seems fine, but if you read individual issues it crawls.

I agree. I went from monthlies for the first 1-1 1/2 years, switched to trades and went back to monthlies....god it's boring as a monthly. I'm back to trades on this one and about 99% sure on switching to the yearly HC's.

i just picked up the boys...its by garth ennis...pretty good..although its alot of the "LETS BE MATURE AND SHOW SEX AND BLOOD" hes known for...but the story is cool...its about the cia group that is supposed to keep tabs on super powers and put them in their place if need be.

the first 2 trades are out now...

i just picked up the boys...its by garth ennis...pretty good..although its alot of the "LETS BE MATURE AND SHOW SEX AND BLOOD" hes known for...but the story is cool...its about the cia group that is supposed to keep tabs on super powers and put them in their place if need be.

the first 2 trades are out now...

I think the Ennis-ness of it is fitting for the context of the story, I think his attempts to seem overly mature/shocking seems forced pretty often (love 99% of this work I should note) but with The Boys it seems perfect.

The Boys is a book that DC will kick themselves over for years and years to come without a doubt.

I just sold a Harley Quinn statue I had sitting in a closet (which I won from a website about 5 years ago) on ebay for almost $200 and blew the money on the following:

Absolute Batman: Dark Knight Returns

Absolute Sandman: volume 2

Absolute Batman: Long Halloween

Absolute Batman: Hush.

Don't tell my girlfriend (or the hospitol)

Nice! I started reading Daredevil: Yellow today. Its pretty damn sad so far. Also, I managed to work out a deal for all three hardcover volumes of the New X-Men series sealed today!

Pretty much all of the Loeb/Sale "color" mini series are solid.

Hell, pretty much anything Loeb and/or Sale is solid for that matter.