new Norma Jean song

listen here:

http://www.myspace.com/normajean

I was never the biggest Norma Jean fan, but it always disappoints me when a solid heavy band completely sells out their sound to appeal to a larger audience. I can't say it surprises me with this band though, since the last tour I seen them on was sponsored by Nike and Hurley, and full of nu-metal and emo kids.

Cave In, Eighteen Visions, Avenged Sevenfold, even Earth Crisis had that one nu-metal album. I can now add Norma Jean to the list of bands I no longer care about.

From someone who's already heard this album (and never even gave this band the time of day before), believe me when I say this album is seriously fucking awesome. It basically sounds like the heaviest record Thrice never recorded -- there's some seriously brutal stuff scattered throughout it. One song sounds like Audio Karate (ca. Lady Melody) gone metal.

I'm seriously, seriously, seriously feeling this record.

listen here:

I was never the biggest Norma Jean fan, but it always disappoints me when a solid heavy band completely sells out their sound to appeal to a larger audience. I can't say it surprises me with this band though, since the last tour I seen them on was sponsored by Nike and Hurley, and full of nu-metal and emo kids.

Cave In, Eighteen Visions, Avenged Sevenfold, even Earth Crisis had that one nu-metal album. I can now add Norma Jean to the list of bands I no longer care about.

You know that Norma Jean basically started as a Nu-Metal band, right?

listen here:

You know that Norma Jean basically started as a Nu-Metal band, right?

Luti-Kriss.

They didn't gain any kind of following until Bless The Martyr though. At least most people I know didn't start listening until then.

Cave In never had a "nu-metal" record.

I was just listing bands that used to be heavy and good that drastically changed their sound for mainstream appeal. Earth Crisis was the only one I was making the nu-metal reference to.

In defense of Cave In as a band I really love, I'll have to disagree with this as well. Their sound changed after they lost their vocalist and Steve didn't want to do all that yelling and screaming. They were getting tired of the stagnant hardcore/metal scene and wanted to do something different, exploring their other musical influences. And well, weed also entered the picture. But basically what I'm saying is that Creative Eclipses and Jupiter were certainly not an attempt at "mainstream appeal". If anything, they lost fans due to that shift.

I was just listing bands that used to be heavy and good that drastically changed their sound for mainstream appeal. Earth Crisis was the only one I was making the nu-metal reference to.

In defense of Cave In as a band I really love, I'll have to disagree with this as well. Their sound changed after they lost their vocalist and Steve didn't want to do all that yelling and screaming. They were getting tired of the stagnant hardcore/metal scene and wanted to do something different, exploring their other musical influences. And well, weed also entered the picture. But basically what I'm saying is that Creative Eclipses and Jupiter were certainly not an attempt at "mainstream appeal". If anything, they lost fans due to that shift.

I understand what your saying. They did lose me as a fan because of that shift. I guess that's why I lump them in with those other bands.