Records safety

I start a thread on every board because I'm curious. How do you guys keep your records safe?

IE:

- Do you remove the records from the jackets?

- Do you keep them all in plastic outer sleeves?

- Boxes, expedit, stacked on top of each other?

- Do you mix different sized records or are they all separated?

- Do you keep the shrink wrap or do you remove it?

Share your safety measures and the reason why you do it! I'm very curious on that stuff... Seriously

Sorry for the doublepost. I'll start

1. I separate 7", 10" and 12". The 10" and 12" are in the same box but separated by a cardboard piece the size of the LP's.

-- WHY? Because I don't want something smaller than an LP applying pressure on the record... For the same reason I don't like putting my records in boxes that aren't higher than the record itself. Or on a smaller shelf.

2. I place the record behind the cover inside a plastic sleeve

-- WHY? Because I heard (and I think it's true) that when you keep the record inside the cover it creates ringwear. Plastic sleeve is just to keep my records mostly dustfree and protect them in general.

3. I remove the shrinkwrap, but since I'm a crazy nerd I fold it and keep it inside the jacket.

-- WHY? Because shrinkwrap looks disgusting when it's old, and also it could shrink in warmer temperature and damage the jacket. Why do I keep it? Dunno... to prove i bought it sealed? I'm just crazy

I'm glad you posted this, I've been curious of how other people take care of their collection but unable to find much info. Personally I keep all sizes separated and I keep them in a box lined with bubble wrap. I keep then all in plastic sleeves and remove shrink wrap. I've been trying to find a better container for them but the only decent stuff I've found are DJ cases that cost 100's of dollars. Anyone have advice on something I could hold them all in that would be a little nicer than a cardboard box or milk crate?

I put all my records in plastic sleeves. I don't have any for 7"s or 10"s, so if they come in one, great, if not, i might stick them in a larger one (not 7"s). I also keep them in wooden boxes, some from IKEA and some from Newbury Comics (New England area record store, had sweet, thick, sturdy LP boxes, but they don't sell them anymore). I generally take off the shrink wrap because a lot of the times it is too tight on the jacket and bends or warps it. I only still have the shrink wrap on one LP, The Smiths "Meat is Murder" because it has a Lechmere price tag still on it, and that's so great.

I have my 7 inches in plastic boxes w/ a lid from Target that are the perfect size for them. They are all in plastic sleeves.

I have a record shelf for the 10"s and LPs, which I keep separate. A lot of times I'll keep the record sealed, unless the shrink wrap looks really tight, then I'll pop it and put it in a sleeve.

I have CD shelves and the record shelf made by a place in SF. They sell them at Rasputin's and (used to at Tower). I don't have the name handy, but they are great.

I also have a one cube record crate from the same company.

I've never had much problem w/ ringwear keeping the records in their jackets. I guess that doesn't sound crazy though. Everything stored vertically of course.

Nice. Also, tomoleksy, you can buy nice cardboard boxes or nice plastic boxes from www.bagsunlimited.com. All their prices are postage paid... I currently have the cardboard ones but I'm thinking when I'm finally settled in Minneapolis next month I might order some plastic ones, they seem really nice.

Some record stores also carry the cardboard ones...

yeah, i take the shrinkwrap off mine and put them in plastic sleeves whenever possible; but the 7"s that don't come with sleeves don't get them because i don't have any. i'm looking for different storage because the box i keep them in currently isn't even big enough for all of them, so i constantly have some sitting on a bookshelf or on the floor leaning on my "entertainment centre."

i'm not that fastidious a collector, more or less; i don't collect to have every colour and printing, i like to listen to my stuff and if i order a record and it comes on something cool then it's a bonus. i do chase after rare stuff for bands i really like, but only within my very limited means.

I put all my records in plastic sleeves. I don't have any for 7"s or 10"s, so if they come in one, great, if not, i might stick them in a larger one (not 7"s). I also keep them in wooden boxes, some from IKEA and some from Newbury Comics (New England area record store, had sweet, thick, sturdy LP boxes, but they don't sell them anymore). I generally take off the shrink wrap because a lot of the times it is too tight on the jacket and bends or warps it. I only still have the shrink wrap on one LP, The Smiths "Meat is Murder" because it has a Lechmere price tag still on it, and that's so great.

Yeah, I remember those wood boxes the had Newbury Comics, they seemed nice. I saw the same kind at a store called A.C. Moore the other day. I have the plastic boxes from bags unlimited and they are nice, I need to get one for my 7".

Yeah, I remember those wood boxes the had Newbury Comics, they seemed nice. I saw the same kind at a store called A.C. Moore the other day. I have the plastic boxes from bags unlimited and they are nice, I need to get one for my 7".

yea but the ones from AC moore are thinner and more expensive, I almost bought some then found my newbs had a few left and bought the rest.

Would you say the bags unlimited plastic ones are totally worth the $$$ ?

What are they 2 for $21 ppd? I think it breaks down to $10 and some change a piece. I think they are totally worth it, much better than the cardboard.

I remove shrink and throw it away, unless it has a rad sticker on it or something, then I cut the sicker out and put it in the jacket. I put every 12" and 7" in a plastic sleeve (I buy those at Newbury Comics). I haven't been able to find plastic sleeves for 10" so if it's something that deserves it, I put that in a 12" sleeve and tape it up. I put 7" box sets in comic book protectors (I don't read comics, but those work perfectly) that I, again, buy at Newbury Comics. I keep them organized by size on my Ikea shelves standing vertically.

I keep the shrinkwrap on just because I don't have any bags to put on otherwise. I figure shrinkwrap is better than nothing, protection-wise. I also think it prevents wear and tear from records being wedged next to each other on a shelf, since the cardboard isn't rubbing each other.

2. I place the record behind the cover inside a plastic sleeve

-- WHY? Because I heard (and I think it's true) that when you keep the record inside the cover it creates ringwear. Plastic sleeve is just to keep my records mostly dustfree and protect them in general.

Does anyone else do this? I think its a pretty good idea especially now that some of my older stuff is really showing ring outlines on the cover. I might just have to take this advice...

but why don't you buy any bags for them? Most reord stores sell them for like 10 to 25 ents each?

None around here carry bags, and I haven't gotten around to ordering any online.

I sweat that Music Saves by the Beachland had some at one point, although I've not been there in some time.

I have a few LPs that I kept in the shrink wrap, on one of them the shrink wrap was pulled back a little and the exposed area now has a slightly lighter shade than the covered area.

I guess it works but you want to make sure the shrink is still pulled over the cover consistently, other wise only part of your record is protected.

Honestly I would rather preferred the whole cover looked slightly lighter than just a thin clearly divided edge, at least it would be less noticeable.

I think we shoudl compile everyone's opinion and have a guide thread set up as an announcement... with each point pros or cons

like for exemple...

1. Do not stack your records

Blablabla the weigh can damage the records and exactly why you shouldn,t stack your records.

2. You should remove the shrinkwrap

People have found that shrinkwrap can shrink with time and temperature and warp the cover, you should instead put 'em in dustsleeves and why, and if you wanna keep the shrink over it what are the safety measures and what might happen (like the fading dim mentionned)

it'd be nice..

anybody got any good suggestions for where I can find a crapton of poly-sleeves cheap? Between the part of my collection that was uncovered and the ton of records I just got from my in-laws attic, I have about 130 records that need condoms. Some of those are 7" and some are 10" as well.