Ben Conoley Sale!

dante3000

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, it's kind of a low thing to do - not unlike flipping a copy against me - s/t very shortly after getting hooked up with one

its a reasonably good cause so that helps.....a little bit

Two things, 1) it's totally awesome that people are smiting me for selling my possessions to help out a friend.

Record collecting: the only hobby where everyone else is more entitled to your stuff than you.

2) That copy of the Against Me! S/T is mine, it's a copy I offered $200 for and even though I didn't have to pay that, if I had, I'd be selling it anyhow. I like Against Me! but I don't listen to this and I can find a better use for the money.

Additionally, I have a second copy that I will be giving away. I talked to them about that when I got my copy (which is how I got two). It was going to be a contest with my podcast and punknews but Justin never got on it and our podcast has been on hiatus for a while. Either I'll set it up solely through the podcast or just to a contest here. Either way I will be giving away a copy of this record (a copy I paid for) as well.

Honestly, I should have just quietly posted these and let nerds fight over them online, take the money and use it for whatever the fuck I wanted. It would have been a lot less trouble.

Seriously Dante, just ignore the whiners. Cool thing you're doing. No, it's not a "noble cause" as hickey pointed out, but who gives a shit if you're selling some Lawrence Arms record? From what I gather you earned it by helping Mike pack and mail shit, so it's not like he just gave it to you for nothing.

Seriously people, shut up.

Seriously Dante, just ignore the whiners. Cool thing you're doing. No, it's not a "noble cause" as hickey pointed out, but who gives a shit if you're selling some Lawrence Arms record? From what I gather you earned it by helping Mike pack and mail shit, so it's not like he just gave it to you for nothing.

not so split hairs, but when volunteering for something you do so without the intent of getting something in return. Once again, don't give a fuck about the situation, but do enjoy reading the thread and people getting all out of hand.

If it was a matter of "earning" something by doing the packing, Mike could have easily sold the record himself and paid each of the people $100 each to help out (and still likely made some more money), but he gave it as a gift of gratitude.

Once again, don't give a shit, just pointing out the problem with the "earning" comment.

You may be able to pay for his whole weekend if these sales keep kicking...I'm watching 3 things currently, but I'm sure they'll jump too high (one has already...)

I cannot believe people are getting on this dude's case for selling his own rare possessions to help out a friend. Most of us would rather cut off an arm than sell something like that, especially an expensive test press that was given to them, but this dude is doing it not to make cash for himself or pay bills, but to essentially give something to somebody else. You should all be so lucky to have friends like that.

I cannot believe people are getting on this dude's case for selling his own rare possessions to help out a friend. Most of us would rather cut off an arm than sell something like that, especially an expensive test press that was given to them, but this dude is doing it not to make cash for himself or pay bills, but to essentially give something to somebody else. You should all be so lucky to have friends like that.

ben is an awesome dude and i think dante3000 is same....

:)

not so split hairs, but when volunteering for something you do so without the intent of getting something in return. Once again, don't give a fuck about the situation, but do enjoy reading the thread and people getting all out of hand.

If it was a matter of "earning" something by doing the packing, Mike could have easily sold the record himself and paid each of the people $100 each to help out (and still likely made some more money), but he gave it as a gift of gratitude.

Once again, don't give a shit, just pointing out the problem with the "earning" comment.

You may be able to pay for his whole weekend if these sales keep kicking...I'm watching 3 things currently, but I'm sure they'll jump too high (one has already...)

Yeah, you're right. But he he volunteered, without expecting compensation, I'm sure, and in return was given cool records. They're his. He owes nothing to anybody. I don't see why people get into hissy fits over this. It's now his stuff, he can do whatever he wants with it. That's my main point. Dudes in bands, friends of band members, and dudes in labels sell rare shit on ebay all the time. I just recently saw the dude from Planes Mistaken For Stars was selling his copy of the newest HWM LP test. I doubt he paid anything for it and now he's selling it cause he needs cash. He didn't need Var's permission and he did nothing wrong.

The main thing is people are just flipping out cause it's records. Would they care if it was an autograhed baseball or nice jacket or a watch or any other sort of possession that is potentially valuable to someone else?

Wow...

I've been reading this board for almost 10 months now, and this has come up over and over. Is it okay for someone to sell something that they bought recently? Does flipping make you a bad person? I think the reason people feel like this is that someone selling something for a lot of money that has a lot of personal value to them somehow invalidates their ownership of it. Either that, or that because they were lucky enough or sneaky enough or whatever to get a copy of something, they should hoard it for all time. I understand why people get so bent out of shape about 'flipping' but to be logical about it, there are no reasonable arguments against it. Records are still stuff. There is no betrayal of anything in one person selling something that means something to another person.

Dante had no reason to respond to any of the comments people made against this. His response to that criticism,asking Mike about it, was very respectful. Dante's been a great person to have on this board, because he's consistently funny and never acts like a dick for not getting what he wants. Folks need to grow up and realize that the value they find in something might not be the value the whole world should apply to it. I fully expect to lose my one, hard-earned karma point for this, but I'm surprised I've had it this long.

Thanks big monkey. I appreciate it.

Also, I will extend the same offer about the collective to this. If you really have a problem with it, please let me know if you'll be at the Fest and we'll come hang out and I'll buy you a beer. I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I'll spend $5 to prove it.

But if I win one of your auctions, you'll be buying me a beer with MY money....ZING...hahaha. I kid because I love.

Thanks big monkey. I appreciate it.

Also, I will extend the same offer about the collective to this. If you really have a problem with it, please let me know if you'll be at the Fest and we'll come hang out and I'll buy you a beer. I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I'll spend $5 to prove it.

But if I win one of your auctions, you'll be buying me a beer with MY money....ZING...hahaha. I kid because I love.

You wish, I'm using this money on coke and hookers well before I get to the Fest.

fuck yeah!

get that man to the fest!

things like these make my day.

hell i would love to go to fest, but if i can't why they hell should someone else not be able to go.

i hope dante makes enough for the both of them to have the best fucking time.

thats what friends are for.

most of the shit i have read thus far in the thread has been fucking lame.

you want to go so bad, sell your records, sell what you have.

i see a shit ton of people on here sell or say "look what i found on ebay" and nobody says a damn thing.

or how about the 50 copies of against me st! that some people would love to have and you got it for 10 bucks and you flipped it for 350

grow up, we are all guilty.

now lets get back to things that really matter, like that damn falcon record!

What?