No Idea to start inserting download codes into LPs

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We (No Idea) have made absolutely NO COMMITMENT to including download codes with our vinyl. REMEMBER THAT. We have in NO WAY publicly stated that we are doing this. There are no stickers proclaiming this concept, there are no mentions of it anywhere. Remember that.

The B&T download that is mentioned in this thread was strictly for REVIEW PURPOSES and NOT for the general public. It has no bearing on anything. We have made no statement that the B&T LP will come with a download. No promises.

That said, we usually post the FREE MP3 on our site simply as a way for people to peep a band or song. Early on, we had no way to stream anything, so this was the only way we had to do it. That people could download the MP3 was not our main intention, but rather a side result. We used the bitrate (160?) that would not screw us up, as far as our web traffic went. And so it goes and here we are almost 10 years later.

CDs sound a bazillion times better than MP3s. Bitrate, shitrate. I'm sure any and everyone can scam a lossless copy of anything ever released digitally. Plus, everyone is so used to iPods, they are accepting of a lesser form in the MP3. BUT, it's so freaking convenient. And most people play music in surroundings that mask any high fidelity whatsoever... walking down the street, etc. So the MP3 at any bitrate sounds better than the radio. So who cares? Almost nobody. Ha!

I betcha most people have their iTunes set to import at 160 without even realizing it. I did.

Really, typically you need expensive equipment to tell the difference between bitrates. Some things it doesn't even make a difference, yes, but with good speakers, headphones. etc, you can tell a difference, and arguing with that is your own decision, really :/

Besides, with v0, 320 kbps rips, lossless codecs, etc have all been pretty much rendered less important. And with the people buying CDs and vinyl, just to rip, ripping vinyl isn't hard, it just takes forever to do, because the whole record must be played.

We (No Idea) have made absolutely NO COMMITMENT to including download codes with our vinyl. REMEMBER THAT. We have in NO WAY publicly stated that we are doing this. There are no stickers proclaiming this concept, there are no mentions of it anywhere. Remember that.

The B&T download that is mentioned in this thread was strictly for REVIEW PURPOSES and NOT for the general public. It has no bearing on anything. We have made no statement that the B&T LP will come with a download. No promises.

Shit, Var, I'm sorry. This is totally my bad; I guess I misunderstood what Tony emailed me. Please forgive.

I betcha most people have their iTunes set to import at 160 without even realizing it. I did.

most do. i changed mine though, even if i wouldn't notice the difference.

They should've gone w/ 192, but no big deal.

FACT: NONE of you can tell the difference between 160 and 192.

so why does it matter then? are you saying you're the only one that can? i'm confused.

Shit, Var, I'm sorry. This is totally my bad; I guess I misunderstood what Tony emailed me. Please forgive.

just modify the title of the thread to include "JK LOL"

ZING!! Haha, I'm just messing with you, Scott. You're still on the list, haha.

It's not a big deal at all. We are not 100% on this, so I don't want anyone feeling entitled. Technology is a tricky thing. We are taking this slow, as caution dictates.

Suitably vague?

What the crap would all you completeists do with a giant stack of download coupons anyway? The mind reels.

It'll be like the NOFX 7" club where some people got certain ones with notes and others didn't. A copy with a download card would be it's own variation.

Laugh all you want, but you know it's true. People would need IT ALL!

It's not a big deal at all. We are not 100% on this, so I don't want anyone feeling entitled. Technology is a tricky thing. We are taking this slow, as caution dictates.

Suitably vague?

No Idea Records? Taking a project slow? I AM IN SHOCK.

If you want to have a good chuckle, go to altpress.com and search for "til the wheels fall off." There, you'll find what was supposed to be that album's original release date, entered into our database three years ago.

Suitably vague?

No Idea Records? Taking a project slow? I AM IN SHOCK.

If you want to have a good chuckle, go to altpress.com and search for "til the wheels fall off." There, you'll find what was supposed to be that album's original release date, entered into our database three years ago.

Back when it was 12 songs, you mean? Before 11 more got added? Before The DRAFT was putting out an LP and needed a window with no HWM record on top of it, before Chuck had an album coming out, before... yawn... what was I saying? Wake me up tomorrow. Oh yeah, am I supposed to be leaking any secrets here? Okay, how about this: Forever and Counting vinyl finally arrived too. I'm curious to get feedback when people see it. Four fancy ass colors, all in the same quantities (550 each). Ummm, no. Nothing else to report. Ironically, it finally gets green vinyl, but the art is no longer green. Go figure. I always wanted a green copy of that record to match the cover. Ha. C'est La Vie! OH! I have that secret now: the first pressing has labels with the OLD art (green). The 2nd pressing will have updated labels with the new art (not green). Confused yet? GOOD.

-- And there also might have been a WEE BIT of ME be an obsessive fuckwad. I mean, think about it: your mission is to build FROM SCRATCH the graphic-design last will and testament of one of your favorite bands of all time. Not joking! How freaking hard is that? I wanted it to be a book. Luckily, they decided to play shows again, so I lightened up... and also Chrissie Piper popped up last-minute with the photos that had been haunting my memory for years, Wollard found a sweet painting to add... and a lot of karmic shite lined up just right. Thanks to BYO and JT as well.