MLB Discussion

Great trade for the Jays. I agree with Lebowski about Lawrie. He's sill young, but he gets hurt to much and can't hit for shit. Jays just need a lefty to breakup the Bautista, Encarnacion, and Donaldson. Still, they'll pound the fuck out of the ball but strike out a ton.

Donaldson was talking shit about the owners on twitter so I am sure this had something to do with it. Telling fans that they really had money, just dont spend it and keep it for themselves. Oakland did get some good young pitching back with potential to get better, but it will be a few years if they do.

I feel like I'm the only Braves fan who has legitimately supported every move John Hart has made so far. I'm just waiting for the monster deal he is going to work out with some team to take J-Up, BJ and Gattis for someone's entire farm system.

And I really hope they sign Markakis to a 2-3 year deal.

Donaldson has 4 years of service left. What is the rush in trading him? I love prospects. More than I should. I loved the Gio trade, the Cahill trade, the Swisher trade, the Blanton trade etc etc etc etc. This trade sucks.

Brett Lawrie is also my least favorite white player in the league, so that doesn't help. What a bro cocksucker

He has committed only 2 errors over the past two season and he has a cannon for an arm. To bad he has no power, and doesn't hit for that high of an average.

His career batting average is 28 points higher than Heywards and career home run rate is 3 less a season. I say they did pretty well replacing him. You gotta remember that Markakis was supposed to be a huge superstar coming up, and so was Heyward. I'd say they have pretty similar careers at this point with both having good stable careers but not living up to the superstar hype.

His career batting average is 28 points higher than Heywards and career home run rate is 3 less a season. I say they did pretty well replacing him. You gotta remember that Markakis was supposed to be a huge superstar coming up, and so was Heyward. I'd say they have pretty similar careers at this point with both having good stable careers but not living up to the superstar hype.

Not only that but you have to look at the bigger picture. The Braves owed Heyward somewhere around 10 mil this season. There was no chance in hell they were going to shell out the money to keep him past 2015. For that 10 mil, they got Shelby Miller (under team control for 4+), Nick Markakis (4 years) and a high level prospect in the Cards organization. Meanwhile, the teams that the Braves took from got: Heyward for 1 year (cards) and jack shit in RF (Orioles). How is that not a successful overall move?

Not only that but you have to look at the bigger picture. The Braves owed Heyward somewhere around 10 mil this season. There was no chance in hell they were going to shell out the money to keep him past 2015. For that 10 mil, they got Shelby Miller (under team control for 4+), Nick Markakis (4 years) and a high level prospect in the Cards organization. Meanwhile, the teams that the Braves took from got: Heyward for 1 year (cards) and jack shit in RF (Orioles). How is that not a successful overall move?

My post was not making this a comparison of Markakis to Heyward. It was about the production they will receive from Markakis for the length of the contract and the amount he got. Markakis has peaked as a player. His numbers have regressed since the 2009 season. He hasn't topped 15 HR and 60 RBI since 2011. He's become nothing more than a contact hitter. He doesn't drive in runs anymore. He doesn't have any speed. I just don't see anything he does that stands out hitting wise. I'm sure there 30 plus guys who put up similar production in the league. A one or two year deal would have been a more prudent signing. 

My post was not making this a comparison of Markakis to Heyward. It was about the production they will receive from Markakis for the length of the contract and the amount he got. Markakis has peaked as a player. His numbers have regressed since the 2009 season. He hasn't topped 15 HR and 60 RBI since 2011. He's become nothing more than a contact hitter. He doesn't drive in runs anymore. He doesn't have any speed. I just don't see anything he does that stands out hitting wise. I'm sure there 30 plus guys who put up similar production in the league. A one or two year deal would have been a more prudent signing. 

A one or two year deal was what the Orioles wanted to give him. It hasn't been stated explicitly, but I think 4 years was the minimum he was going to take. Someone would have offered it if the Braves didn't. As a fan, I'm okay with the risk of decreasing production. In the 2 spot he just needs to get on base at a respectable clip and it will be worth it.

I wouldn't want my team to give Markakis more than 5 mil a year. The defensive stats in terms of player value between Heyward and Markakis are miles apart. Those offensive counting stats are terrible for a guy who plays 155 games a year (most of your 10-15 home run outfielders get it done in far less games, excluding the bag stealers). Haven't watched a ton of Orioles games, but from posts in here sounds like he is the Jhonny Peralta of the OF -- makes all the plays you are expected to make but not the special ones. Jhonny has a better bat, though.

I wouldn't want my team to give Markakis more than 5 mil a year. The defensive stats in terms of player value between Heyward and Markakis are miles apart. Those offensive counting stats are terrible for a guy who plays 155 games a year (most of your 10-15 home run outfielders get it done in far less games, excluding the bag stealers). Haven't watched a ton of Orioles games, but from posts in here sounds like he is the Jhonny Peralta of the OF -- makes all the plays you are expected to make but not the special ones. Jhonny has a better bat, though.

That would never happen. Revere is expected to get 4 mil in arbitration this year and Markakis brings more to the table than Revere.

It just amazes me how Braves fans continue to remember Heyward like some kind of mythical super player just as they did before he got called up. Except he hasn't ever been that guy. Great defender but overall he was only contributing to the Braves real issues on offense.

That would never happen. Revere is expected to get 4 mil in arbitration this year and Markakis brings more to the table than Revere.[/quote

Wasn't necessarily a prediction of what a guy's current market value is, it's what I would offer for his services were I a GM. Think he's overrated.