MLB Discussion

Guest baseball
The Rays aren't in the same situation the Marlins were in after their successful postseason runs. Their minor league system is stacked with replacements for guys, so as long as they re-sign Upton (which I think they will) they'll be okay. Most of the FA's in 2008 and 2009 will be cheap to retain (the exceptions being Upton and Garza).

The Rays don't really have to make many "tough" decisions for a few years. They hold a shitload of club options and don't have to deal with any player options.

POST SEASON ROSTER ONLY

Carl Crawford (club options in '09 and '10)

Cliff Floyd (club option in '09)

Rocco Baldelli (club options in '09, '10, '11)

Trever Miller (club option in '09)

Jason Bartlett

Gabe Gross

Edwin Jackson

Dioner Navarro

B.J. Upton

Matt Garza

Willy Aybar

J.P. Howell

Andy Sonnanstine

Ben Zobrist

Fernando Perez

Grant Balfour

Troy Percival

Chad Bradford

Aki Iwamura (club option in '10)

Carlos Pena

Dan Wheeler (club option in '11)

Scott Kazmir (club option in '12)

James Shields (club options in '12, '13, '14)

David Price

Evan Longoria (club options in '14, '15, '16)

wow. i had no clue that they had so many guys going up for free agency at the end of the season. i can see other teams wanting to pay big bucks for Navarro, Upton and Garza. boston's going to be in the market for a new catcher and they need starting pitching (as does new york ... who also needs some outfielders). so i wouldn't be surprised if the core of the rays end up playing for different teams next year.

The Rays don't have any major pieces up for free agency. Their team will be virtually the same next year.

The Rays are going to be good for several years. They have an amazing and young core in tact for the forseeable future. Not only that, but even with the promotion of so many good players they are still regarded as having one of the best, if not the best, farm systems in baseball.

Tampa Bay has done a remarkable job developing players. They've also done a great job at extending players like Crawford, Longoria, and Pena to affordable contracts.

well, they have 9 years of losing to put behind them, can you blame the fans? They have to build a base. Look at the Marlins. They have won two world series but they never had a couple winning seasons in a row. There was no reason for the fanbase to come out because the product was never good.

yeah, that and uh...have you BEEN to miami in the spring/summer?

say what you want about tropicana field being the worst park in the majors, ugly, etc. that is the most comfortable thing in the world when it's hot as fuck outside. dolphin stadium is not. i dont blame people for not going to marlins games.

well, they have 9 years of losing to put behind them, can you blame the fans? They have to build a base. Look at the Marlins. They have won two world series but they never had a couple winning seasons in a row. There was no reason for the fanbase to come out because the product was never good.

yeah, that and uh...have you BEEN to miami in the spring/summer?

say what you want about tropicana field being the worst park in the majors, ugly, etc. that is the most comfortable thing in the world when it's hot as fuck outside. dolphin stadium is not. i dont blame people for not going to marlins games.

for real. fuck that. Florida in mid august is fucking gross.

Bandwagon fans don't really bother me. Some of you don't realize how hard it is to be a fan of a losing team. And in case of the Rays a losing team w/ NO history. I've been a Pirates fan all my life, including those few winning seasons before I hit the age of 10. It's been 16 losing seasons and I'm still a fan, but I do have a ton of history to be proud of for the Bucs.

The Rays literally had NOTHING until this season. You have to gain fans somehow.

If the Pirates started winning you'll see a massive fan base pop up out of nowhere. It happened w/ the Penguins. We have so many young fans who grew up w/ Mario, Jagr, Stevens, Francis, etc... and now that they're older they're the main fan base behind this successful organization.

The Steelers weren't widely popular until the 70s when they started racking up championships and now look at them, they have one of the largest fan bases in the NFL (and all of sports).

Bandwagon fans don't really bother me. Some of you don't realize how hard it is to be a fan of a losing team. And in case of the Rays a losing team w/ NO history. I've been a Pirates fan all my life, including those few winning seasons before I hit the age of 10. It's been 16 losing seasons and I'm still a fan, but I do have a ton of history to be proud of for the Bucs.

The Rays literally had NOTHING until this season. You have to gain fans somehow.

If the Pirates started winning you'll see a massive fan base pop up out of nowhere. It happened w/ the Penguins. We have so many young fans who grew up w/ Mario, Jagr, Stevens, Francis, etc... and now that they're older they're the main fan base behind this successful organization.

The Steelers weren't widely popular until the 70s when they started racking up championships and now look at them, they have one of the largest fan bases in the NFL (and all of sports).

backed

Gotta love the parity in major league baseball these days. In the last 11 years, there have been 10 different NL teams in the World Series. The Cubs, Dodgers, Reds, Pirates, Nationals(Expos) and Brewers are the only ones not to make it since 1998.

I think the Rays will still be able to maintain this level of success in the coming years. They've built the team from the ground-up. They have control of a lot of those players for a long time. A lot of them WILL sign discounted long-term deals with them (like Longoria). Some of them can be traded for more can't-miss prospects when they're close to free agency (look how much the Brewers gave up for 2 months of Sabathia). Hell, even if guys DO leave for free agency they'll get compensation draft picks. The Yankees, Mets, and countless other teams have proven that you can't just throw money at a team's problems. Sure, it helps, but the Rays will theoretically be able to do that in the future. Shit, if they win a world series it'll certainly help cultivate a fanbase.

The Marlins blew their team up on purpose after the 1997 series. I have no idea why. They traded every decent piece away to rebuild and it paid off in 2003 when they again won the World Series with a largely homegrown team.

Gotta love the parity in major league baseball these days. In the last 11 years, there have been 10 different NL teams in the World Series. The Cubs, Dodgers, Reds, Pirates, Nationals(Expos) and Brewers are the only ones not to make it since 1998.

The Pirates haven't had a winning season since 1992 (when the Braves edged them [sIDE BREAM WAS OUT!] to get to the World Series.

So I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the Buccos have made it to the World Series recently.

Guest baseball

I think the problem with the '97 Marlins was that they bought almost all the pieces that got them that championship. They can't sustain that kind of model. So yeah they got the championship, but they completely blew up the team disenfranchising all their fans for years. Can't blame the fans on that one really.

The Pirates haven't had a winning season since 1992 (when the Braves edged them [sIDE BREAM WAS OUT!] to get to the World Series.

So I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the Buccos have made it to the World Series recently.

I think you need to read what I wrote again. The six teams I listed are the only ones who have NOT been in the World Series in the last 10 years.

and out of all of those teams, the Red, Pirates and Nationals are the only teams in the NL to have not made the playoffs in over 10 years. thats pretty awesome to see that every other team in the NL has had a chance in the post season! one of these days, just maybe these 3 teams will get a shot... just maybe!

I think you need to read what I wrote again. The six teams I listed are the only ones who have NOT been in the World Series in the last 10 years.

I read too fast.