NFL Discussion

I drafted on Sunday and came away pretty good.

Starters

QB - Russell Wilson

RB - Adrian Peterson

RB - Maurice Jones-Drew

WR - Brandon Marshall

WR - Dwayne Bowe

WR - Eric Decker

TE - Greg Olsen

FLEX - Reggie Bush

K - Sebastian Janikowski

D - San Francisco

Bench

QB - Matt Stafford

RB - Chris Ivory

RB - Ronnie Hillman

RB - Jacquizz Rodgers

WR - DeSean Jackson

WR - Anquan Boldin

I'm totally against finely..he's a turd.

Wilson isn't a bad choice though. I drafted on Friday and got some decent slots...not super stoked ony rb situation though

the only thing i like about him is im getting him in the 10th round.  i also have someone i really like at TE that im drafting in the 14th.

yeah i would like to wait longer on qb, but where i was getting wilson, 6th round, seems fair to me.

so what do you all think of this line up in a 12 team league?

i feel like im able to share this because its a keeper league and i am  keeping 1 out of 3 and i have draft picks from year 1 that makes it unusual enough that my team on vc will be drafted very differently.  what do you all think of these combos.  hiding some players bc of sleepers. 

which team do you like the most and if the one guy i think that is also only keeping 1 and keeps 2, who should i pick if i have the option of jax/ridley?

qb - russel wilson
wr - a. johnson
wr - wes welker
wr - victor cruz
rb - mjd 
rb - ridley or s. jackson (i know both are getting dropped from a keeper team, so ill take whoever i can out of them)
te - jermichael finley
flex - james jones/lamar miller
d/st - falcons
k - st. louis k

======================

qb - russel wilson
wr - larry 
wr - colston
wr - amendola
rb - mjd 
rb - ridley or s. jackson (i know both are getting dropped from a keeper team, so ill take whoever i can out of them)
te - jermichael finley
flex - daryl richardson/lamar miller/torrey smith
d/st - cowboys d
k - giants kicker

============
qb - russel wilson
wr - dwayne bowe
wr - wes welker
wr - a. johnson
rb - mjd 
rb - ridley or s. jackson (i know both are getting dropped from a keeper team, so ill take whoever i can out of them)
te - jermichael finley
flex - daryl richardson/levon bell/torrey smith
d/st - detroit d
k - ravens k

I like option 2. All 3 of those WRs should have a great season.

very nice. was that 10 or 12? guessing you nabbed wilson in the 6th as well?

ap, mjd, marshal, bowe, decker, wilson?

also, im really high on a mjd comeback, not as huge as ap, but top 8 rb finishibility. (made that word up)

it's only an 8 team league which is why its such a nice roster, but i agree about mjd, especially since that offence has no one else who can produce

its a keeper league

Thinking of turning my league into a keeper, and out if curiosity I was wondering what rules you go by? I see tons of different rules and variations, and am unsure what to go by. How many players can you keep? Do you forfeit any draft picks? If you do, are they in the same round as the player you drafted and kept from last year? Can you keep the same player for more than one season? Can they be first round picks? What about players whom you picked up off waivers last year, and want to keep? What pick would you lose by doing so?

Sorry for all the questions. I just wish there was a consensus on how keeper leagues are operated.

Thinking of turning my league into a keeper, and out if curiosity I was wondering what rules you go by? I see tons of different rules and variations, and am unsure what to go by. How many players can you keep? Do you forfeit any draft picks? If you do, are they in the same round as the player you drafted and kept from last year? Can you keep the same player for more than one season? Can they be first round picks? What about players whom you picked up off waivers last year, and want to keep? What pick would you lose by doing so?

Sorry for all the questions. I just wish there was a consensus on how keeper leagues are operated.

ours is pretty simple, i've heard many and different confusing ways to go about keeper leagues, but ours is simple.  you can keep up to 3 total players that you finished your previous season with regardless how long or little they have been on your team. so the first three rounds in this years draft will go like this; you can either keep any player from your previous roster or say you aren't keeping a player. (can keep 1, 2, or all 3) the first three rounds will look like that.  after those three rounds end, all players not kept/were free agents/rookies will be available to players who didn't keep a player or players.  you will select in draft order from the first 3 rounds.  one mystery right now is not knowing who is keeping who and who is dropping players, im pretty sure i have it figured out though.

i'm sure that wasn't all that clear, so let me know what other qs you have.

one nice thing is a lot of trades happened last season because they not only involved trading players, but picks from this years draft too.

von millers suspension seems official.  can he still appeal? maybe not since its a 2nd offense? i don't know.

luckily, denvers woes are seem to be really promising for the ravens offense come opening night.  they will definitely need it.

If the nfl announced a suspension then the appeals window has passed.

ours is pretty simple, i've heard many and different confusing ways to go about keeper leagues, but ours is simple.  you can keep up to 3 total players that you finished your previous season with regardless how long or little they have been on your team. so the first three rounds in this years draft will go like this; you can either keep any player from your previous roster or say you aren't keeping a player. (can keep 1, 2, or all 3) the first three rounds will look like that.  after those three rounds end, all players not kept/were free agents/rookies will be available to players who didn't keep a player or players.  you will select in draft order from the first 3 rounds.  one mystery right now is not knowing who is keeping who and who is dropping players, im pretty sure i have it figured out though.

i'm sure that wasn't all that clear, so let me know what other qs you have.

one nice thing is a lot of trades happened last season because they not only involved trading players, but picks from this years draft too.

Even simple rules regarding keepers can lead to complex situations (and arguments).

The key decision to make going in is whether you are going to allow people to give up on the current season to improve on the next. Do you allow someone to trade their 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th best players for someone else's #2? It might make sense for both teams -- one is in the playoffs and the other only cares about consolidating talent for next year's keepers. Trading draft picks ahead a year makes things even more complicated.

Key to me is that the first decision you need to make is this -- Is it OK for someone to give up on this year for the next? The answer can be yes or no, and both work. The key is that everyone knows what playing field they are on. If the answer is no, the trade I proposed above should be rejected. If this answer is yes, it should go through.

I'm a bigger fan of the "no" answer -- you should build good keepers through shrewd drafting, FA pickups, and trades that are reasonably even but work out for you. It keeps the emphasis on competing every year but with a tie-over from year to year. The other way (in my experience) leads to a lot of bickering about "he's giving up...not fair...I was in the hunt and he gave most of his good players to my competition...Now I have to give up on my top keepers to keep up...". The easiest rule to enforce is "judge every trade as if there were no keeper implications beyond this year". Keeps it the way I like it.

one thing that makes our league pretty great is that all 12 of us are the biggest trash talkers and are way too competitive.  obviously that can be said for every league.

another thing is we have a pretty early trade deadline and then during the summer months, trading comes back open.  

we also have a pretty good commish who will lay the law down if any type of collusion is going on.  

oh and the biggest thing, we have a sacko bowl for the bottom 4 and the sackos is in charge of buying the keg and being beer bitch for the next seasons draft.

tanking on purpose doesn't help too much because you aren't going to have great keepers and your first pick minus the FA/released players list that you get is in the 4th round.

Well in that case the cost might be making the trade deadline so early that by the time you figure out where you are weak or strong, the deadline hits.

"Collusion" is subjective. If I lose my first 4, is it collusion if I trade all my middle talent for one good keeper? Depends on the rules of the league (my statements above about deciding how the league will handle trades beforehand).

If your system works for your league, awesome. I just think its best to think ahead about the "what-if" scenarios than have a clusterfuck when someone makes a trade that isn't 100% about playing for the win this year. I've been in leagues where the clusterfuck has gotten out of control (like a trade I'd vetoed, the guys get pissed, and continue to put the trade in a bunch more times afterwards, getting vetoed every time).

i hear you, if we all weren't so close, i think it could definitely go south fast, but considering most of the league meets together every sunday, we all kind of keep ourselves in check.  

give me an example of the trade your suggesting with players.  i'm just curious as to what it would like and if we need to go over a similar situation with my league.

I don't even remember what the trade was but say someone has Aaron Rodgers and he gets injured for first 6 games. Still a keeper next year. Their second player is good, say Jimmy Graham. The team starts 0-4. They decide that their chances of making the playoffs are so slim that they focus on next year. So they trade victor Cruz, roddy white, and Reggie Bush for Doug Martin. It's not unreasonable that someone could have all those players in a draft.

From one point of view, makes sense. One team (out of it) gets a young, stud back who is a top 5 player. The other team (going for it this year) gets a LOT of talent back for their #1 player and looks stacked for this year. Everyone else gets screwed though. They have to deal with a loaded team this year and a dude with mega keepers next.

Obviously, player values are always fluctuating and these players won't be ranked the same in week 5. Just had to use current ratings as a surrogate for the real ones (which if I knew, I'd never lose).

auction draft tomorrow night, and i worked out my ideal budgeting today. here's kind of the best case scenario team that i devised based on what i'm looking to spend at each position:

matt ryan

alfred morris

david wilson

victor cruz

danny amendola

vernon davis

seattle defense

matt bryant

eric decker at flex

i have 3-5 choices at each position. not looking to spend buttloads on the elite when i can be economical and still field a solid lineup.

any advice on improvements to be made?

i've left myself $35-50 to spend on my bench. it's a 14 team league, so i'm trying to eliminate relying on the waiver wire as much as possible. i would really like to get russell wilson, maybe eli for my 2nd qb.