Ikea Expedit Question

I just went to Ikea's website to order a Expedit and it said my shipping cost would be 235.00!! Does anyone know why shipping would be so much. There is an Ikea in Baltimore Maryland which is only like an hour and a half from where I live. Does anybody have any insight they can share. There is no way I'm spending that much for shipping!!

Dude. Your Ikea is only an hour and half away.

That's not that far at all.

Just go there one day, get some lunch and buy an expedit.

Personally I wouldn't think twice of driving an hour and a half for something like this. I do it all the time when I go to San Diego for a bar show or something equally ridiculous. I guess that's just my mentality being from Southern California; driving an hour+ is routine for me. I have friends from the midwest and the south and they think driving 20+ minutes is "far". It takes me longer than that to get to work in the morning and I live in the same city as my job.

Indeed

That is about how far away my Ikea is, and I didnt think twice about making the trek. Totally worth it.

My only problem was that I made a trip out of it and stopped a bunch of times on the way to hit every record store and eat etc.. and ended up wasting so much of the day shopping for records that I got to Ikea as it closed and had to do it all over the next day.

So if you make the trip dont get too distracted and make sure you check the hours before you go ;D

Personally I wouldn't think twice of driving an hour and a half for something like this. I do it all the time when I go to San Diego for a bar show or something equally ridiculous. I guess that's just my mentality being from Southern California; driving an hour+ is routine for me. I have friends from the midwest and the south and they think driving 20+ minutes is "far". It takes me longer than that to get to work in the morning and I live in the same city as my job.

I have friends who drive 30 minutes to sit around and watch tv with other friends and that's close, when in my town anything more than 2 miles away is 'far'. It's all relative. We're dense 'round these parts.

I'd say drive it as well. Especially for the Expedit which has fared me well over the years. I even trekked to Baltimore for my drawing desk legs because both of the Philly ones never had it in stock. The one in White Marsh (Baltimore) is a nice store. There is also the one in College Park which I've heard is huge.

i had the same problem when i looked at ordering it. i called and they somehow cut the shipping price in about half when i asked why it was so high. the reason it is so high is cause they use some delivery service that calls you a day before to schedule a time blah blah blah not like fedex ups etc. i highly suggest giving them a call at the 1 800 the number on their website. when i called they even let me add things that said they dont ship out on the website

it totally sucks that it costs so much to ship. we have 3 expedit shelves and had to do 3 trips to ikea over the last year and had to go to salt lake city each time. We now need a 4th shelf which totally sucks.

ikea overcharges for shipping, we needed a bracket that weighed 1 ounce and they wanted 20 bucks to ship it.

make sure you double check the dimensions on that shelf. I think it might be 6 feet long. the product description has dimensions.