I wish the Smashing Pumpkins were still good.

I'm listening to a Gish/Siamese Dream-era collection of b-sides and live versions and it makes me really sad to think about the new incarnation of the "Pumpkins" (although it's really unfair to even refer to them as that, without James and D'arcy). Up next, Mellon Collie.

I find its better for the psyche to just think of it as ZWAN version 2.0

^not for the bands i truly love- the cure, modest mouse, blink 182- all more than 3 good albums. but i can see how many bands would fall under this category. once upon a time, i love the smashing pumpkins. but when you're not 13 & depressed, their music just isn't that appealing. plus, the deeper you dig back, you can see that they were never really THAT original. and some of the lyrics are pretty good, but some are fucking awful. i'll still cite siamese dream as one of my favourite albums, but everything adore and after is really only good for 1 or 2 good songs.

the bands i truly love- the cure, modest mouse, blink 182

God, I wish I had room in my signature for that gem.

personally, "adore" is my favourite. "mellon collie" -- like most double albums -- had no business being a double album. some -- like say anything -- don't have any business being even a single album.

my order:

machina > siamese dream > mellon collie > adore > zeitgeist > gish > pisces

i have never been able to get into gish - but those first four above are brilliant imho.

smashing pumpkins have always been one of my favorite bands. i'll agree that zeitgeist isn't their best work, but saying that it's no longer the pumpkins or zwan 2.0 is just not right.

i've always felt that the smashing pumpkins were billy and jimmy. on the recording and writing end of things, at least. james, i guess, wrote a few of the pumpkins great songs back in the day, but d'arcy? i guess i am disappointed to not have them all together in a way. but i'm so stoked that billy and jimmy now are. and zeitgeist is pumpkins. just not best pumpkins.

saw them on their latest tour. amazing show. hearing starla played live was almost the highlight of my life.

once again in the minority, but i liked zwan... their live show was much better than the album though.

i like a happy billy corgan.

agreed. Also, is it just me or is darcy a horrible bass player? I remember when they played on SNL years ago and it looked as if someone had to have been playing her bass lines off the stage. It was like tia carrere in Wayne's World. that bad.

once again in the minority, but i liked zwan... their live show was much better than the album though.

i like a happy billy corgan.

agreed. Also, is it just me or is darcy a horrible bass player? I remember when they played on SNL years ago and it looked as if someone had to have been playing her bass lines off the stage. It was like tia carrere in Wayne's World. that bad.

This one? http://video.yahoo.com/watch/805952/3379720