General question regarding rarity

akross

At what point can a record really be considered rare? I know that there are test pressings and other No Idea releases that are out of 2, 3, 4, etc. but I am more curious about larger pressing quantities.

In terms of future value, will a record that has a pressing of 250 of one color and 550 of another color fetch the same value down the road regardless of color? Given multiple color options, I choose the one I prefer most even if it is not the smallest number pressed. Am I shooting myself in the foot for if I need to sell them later on?

I don't want to come across as a dick, but I am of the opinion that records should be purchased and collected for the sole purpose of listening to them...and not for the possible monetary value later on.

But to answer your question...it's all subjective...each person/collector places their own value on the record. It's not like there is a definite guideline saying that record A pressed in XXX #s in this color is worth $$$ whereas record B not so much...

You should base your record purchases on what you like...not what is most rare and what can fetch a premium later on. Enjoy the music...if it happens become rare and valuable later, great! But the music should be the first and foremost reason for buying records...

Its kind of subjective, but I'll give you an example that I'm familiar with: Hot Water Music.

Their record No Division was originally pressed on three colors- purple (/100), white (/500), black (1000 or more).

Before No Idea repressed it, the purple would sell for $100+, the white would sell for $40-70, and black would sell for $25-30.

They were all first pressings and the rarest one sold for the most amount.

I don't want to come across as a dick, but I am of the opinion that records should be purchased and collected for the sole purpose of listening to them...and not for the possible monetary value later on.

But to answer your question...it's all subjective...each person/collector places their own value on the record. It's not like there is a definite guideline saying that record A pressed in XXX #s in this color is worth $$$ whereas record B not so much...

You should base your record purchases on what you like...not what is most rare and what can fetch a premium later on. Enjoy the music...if it happens become rare and valuable later, great! But the music should be the first and foremost reason for buying records...

I'm not in it for future value, but if I had to sell off vinyl to deal with other life problems (car, appliances, plumbing issues, medical bills, etc.) then I may attempt to be a little more opportunistic when situations arise.

I just want to listen to the music, and hope to never have to unload it. I am looking forward to burdening my children with having to deal with "dad's crazy record collection" when I die :)

Thanks for the input!

In the long run records of today's bands will be worth crap. Many do not have the staying power or popularity that bands in the 60's and 70's had. No one is going to remember "generic alt band #582." Obviously there will be some exceptions but if you really care about monetary value sell when things are high 1-2 years after a record sells out, wait 8 years, then buy them on eBay for $2.00 each.

In the long run records of today's bands will be worth crap. Many do not have the staying power or popularity that bands in the 60's and 70's had. No one is going to remember "generic alt band #582." Obviously there will be some exceptions but if you really care about monetary value sell when things are high 1-2 years after a record sells out, wait 8 years, then buy them on eBay for $2.00 each.

The man speaks the truth. There are a few bands that have reached a status where they'll always have dedicated fans and rare records will always probably fetch a decent amount of money, but some of the stuff people pay stupid amounts of money for will be worthless in a few years.

The man speaks the truth. There are a few bands that have reached a status where they'll always have dedicated fans and rare records will always probably fetch a decent amount of money, but some of the stuff people pay stupid amounts of money for will be worthless in a few years.

There will always be the die-hard fans. I mean I just sold off some Pokemon and Yugioh cards recently, which I thought were completely dead, and someone paid $35 for one single card I was auctioning.

I disagree. The 60s and 70s band had staying power, but for the most part the vinyl has little value, since it was the dominant media and there were so many copies pressed. Today, vinyl pressings are much more limited and therefore, despite the band not becoming hugely popular, there will still be a core stable of fans willing to pay good money for that record.

I think it depend more on what people are willing to pay for a certain record. It could be a super small band but if someones a HUGE fan they may pay tons of money for it. Say if I bought record X for $60 it would totaly be worth it to me while at the same time someone else may only be willing to pay $15 for the same record.

depends on the band, the record, and the circumstances under which it was released, i would say. so yeah, it's not definite.

Very true since 2000 Alkaline Trio records would be far harder to come by than 2000 Ampere records would be, for example.

mmmm.... 2000 Ampere records, sounds like a dream come true.

[image]

It's all about supply and demand. I've got some records that are out of 50 or 100, but if only 10 people give a crap about the band they won't be worth anything. Also, if demand is consistently high for a record and they increase the supply by repressing, that would obviously have a negative effect on the value/price.

That's why I try to only buy stuff that I really enjoy listening to. I paid $20 for a Capitalist Casualties 7" ten years ago that I could probably get for $3 today, but it still fucking rocks!!

I disagree. The 60s and 70s band had staying power, but for the most part the vinyl has little value, since it was the dominant media and there were so many copies pressed. Today, vinyl pressings are much more limited and therefore, despite the band not becoming hugely popular, there will still be a core stable of fans willing to pay good money for that record.

I disagree with that. Yes, there are a lot of worthless records from the 60s and 70s, but for the collector, it is hard to find any record in great shape from that period. Even if there were 100,000 pressed, if its NM and doesn't have ring wear, then it still has some value if the music is good.

Also, and I could totally be wrong about this, but it seems about 5-6 years ago all that powerviolence stuff was going for crazy prices on ebay, but it was kind of a fad and now the records aren't as desirable as they were then. I bet a lot of the high price records now will go down in price in 5 to 10 years.