Keith Olbermann won't anchor politics

dante3000

Salon has some good articles on this

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2007/05/07/olbermann_hume/

an updated one on this issue too. ( http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/ ) What a joke, fuckin right wing hypocrites man. Your not a real journalist unless your view matches theirs.

As someone with a journalism major, I'm glad that Olbermann is leaving. Hearing him blatantly express his opinion and inject that in his show and during the conventions makes me sick a bit. It's just not the news I know we deserve; it's reaching out to Democrats who like the bickering of Fox News but with a liberal lean. It's revolting.

Guest baseball

Remember when Keith Olbermann used to be on Sportscenter?

Everytime I watch him as a political guy I'm always just waiting for him to look at the camera and go "From way downtown...BANG!" or "They're...not...gonna...get him."

As someone with a journalism major, I'm glad that Olbermann is leaving. Hearing him blatantly express his opinion and inject that in his show and during the conventions makes me sick a bit. It's just not the news I know we deserve; it's reaching out to Democrats who like the bickering of Fox News but with a liberal lean. It's revolting.

Sorry but if you're going to say that I want an across the board wipe. Take off Sean Hannity, take off Bret Hume (who is a commentator), take off 95% of Fox news.

This is why Democrats lose elections. One side does it and the other side is supposed to take the moral high ground. Guess what? The moral high ground has lost repeatedly in America. I'm all for journalistic objectivity but until it exists in entirety than it shouldn't be a rule that just one side has to abide by.

Sorry but if you're going to say that I want an across the board wipe. Take off Sean Hannity, take off Bret Hume (who is a commentator), take off 95% of Fox news.

This is why Democrats lose elections. One side does it and the other side is supposed to take the moral high ground. Guess what? The moral high ground has lost repeatedly in America. I'm all for journalistic objectivity but until it exists in entirety than it shouldn't be a rule that just one side has to abide by.

Have to agree with the Dante here. Olbermann's opinions were often criticisms of immoral, unethical behavior. The way he took on O'Reily was also worth a good amount of laughs. And even his opinions as bias as they might have been were not nearly as muck-rackingly crass and ridiculous as the majority of the shots Fox News takes.

Have to agree with the Dante here. Olbermann's opinions were often criticisms of immoral, unethical behavior. The way he took on O'Reily was also worth a good amount of laughs. And even his opinions as bias as they might have been were not nearly as muck-rackingly crass and ridiculous as the majority of the shots Fox News takes.

I have to agreee with Dante as well.

The tipping point appears to have come during the Republican convention when Olbermann, after the network aired a Sept. 11-themed video prepared by the Republicans, said that MSNBC should not have shown it.

And Olbermann is totally correct. Neither Democrat-prepared videos or Republican-prepared videos should be aired on "news" stations.

The tipping point appears to have come during the Republican convention when Olbermann, after the network aired a Sept. 11-themed video prepared by the Republicans, said that MSNBC should not have shown it.

And Olbermann is totally correct. Neither Democrat-prepared videos or Republican-prepared videos should be aired on "news" stations.

Damn, I go get lunch and the whole world is against me. OK, if we are doing this, lets do it:

I definitely agree that Fox News is just as bad, and with the "wipe the slate clean" logic. But, this won't happen. While I would be happier if this sort of change was going on at FOX, but they would replace them with someone who was just as visually and verbosely appealing, it would all be the same logic. FOX News changed the dynamic for broadcast news forever in America, because it became a swinging dick contest as to who could be, to steal from CNN, "the most trusted name in news."

As I see it, American cable news organizations fail on a few key issues. One, they don't designate what is special comment, or as the papers say "opinion" and what is news. While Olbermann did this to an extent, even when he was reporting on the days stories, the inclinations in his voice and his sarcastic tone made it all seem like opinion, without a clear difference between what is news and what is Olbermann's thought process. Two, its a ratings grab. And I understand that media works on ratings and what advertisers will pay to place their spots on these networks. This is just the way the industry works, but replacing news with the likes of Brit Humm, Lou Dobbs, Keith Olbermann and Hannity have deteriorated the news system in American PROFOUNDLY. Third, they have turned into platforms to call out separate networks. Almost any week you would have O'Reilly and Olbermann playing who pissed farther instead of covering a wider array of issues that people want to hear about. So you're ratings were higher or lower than the other, BIG FUCKING DEAL. It's a business, sure, but start acting like a responsible journalist instead of standing on soap boxes at separate ends of the auditorium and trying to grab the bigger crowd.

Now, I'm not saying I don't disagree with Olbermann calling out on the lies and moral inequities that he would call out, it is nice to have a watchdog. But what you see with Olbermann is the development of this moral ego in which he feels is far superior to those of his peers. When in all reality, Bill Moyers could run circles around the logic of Keith, or any political TV spectator(minus Jon Stewart, which if you haven't watched that interview, do yourself a favor). Bill Moyers is quite possibly one of the most engaging and well-informed broadcasters of our time, yet remains relatively unnoticed because he chooses to remain unbiased and let the people he interviews and the stories he airs speak for themselves.

So, yes, we need a massive reform in the state of journalism in this country, on all levels.

olberman was the reason i watched the MSNBC coverage. for the debates, i'm now going to watch cspan or the national networks. it's bullshit that MSNBC can't just come out and be "liberal". faux is 100% conservative (or 98% when colmes wakes up and finds his sack for the day and actually acts like a liberal.)

Damn, I go get lunch and the whole world is against me. OK, if we are doing this, lets do it:

I definitely agree that Fox News is just as bad, and with the "wipe the slate clean" logic. But, this won't happen. While I would be happier if this sort of change was going on at FOX, but they would replace them with someone who was just as visually and verbosely appealing, it would all be the same logic. FOX News changed the dynamic for broadcast news forever in America, because it became a swinging dick contest as to who could be, to steal from CNN, "the most trusted name in news."

As I see it, American cable news organizations fail on a few key issues. One, they don't designate what is special comment, or as the papers say "opinion" and what is news. While Olbermann did this to an extent, even when he was reporting on the days stories, the inclinations in his voice and his sarcastic tone made it all seem like opinion, without a clear difference between what is news and what is Olbermann's thought process. Two, its a ratings grab. And I understand that media works on ratings and what advertisers will pay to place their spots on these networks. This is just the way the industry works, but replacing news with the likes of Brit Humm, Lou Dobbs, Keith Olbermann and Hannity have deteriorated the news system in American PROFOUNDLY. Third, they have turned into platforms to call out separate networks. Almost any week you would have O'Reilly and Olbermann playing who pissed farther instead of covering a wider array of issues that people want to hear about. So you're ratings were higher or lower than the other, BIG FUCKING DEAL. It's a business, sure, but start acting like a responsible journalist instead of standing on soap boxes at separate ends of the auditorium and trying to grab the bigger crowd.

Now, I'm not saying I don't disagree with Olbermann calling out on the lies and moral inequities that he would call out, it is nice to have a watchdog. But what you see with Olbermann is the development of this moral ego in which he feels is far superior to those of his peers. When in all reality, Bill Moyers could run circles around the logic of Keith, or any political TV spectator(minus Jon Stewart, which if you haven't watched that interview, do yourself a favor). Bill Moyers is quite possibly one of the most engaging and well-informed broadcasters of our time, yet remains relatively unnoticed because he chooses to remain unbiased and let the people he interviews and the stories he airs speak for themselves.

So, yes, we need a massive reform in the state of journalism in this country, on all levels.

While we're at it I'd like a pony. I wish Moyers could get a main stream cable new show but the dude is too much into facts.

Cable news is infotanment and I'm fine with having a liberal hack get as fraction of the air time conservative hacks due.

Compared to his peers, especially most on cable news, Olbermann is far superior morally. Though Rachel Maddow is getting a show so that might change.

I wish news networks would call out the Bullshit from each party, whether it be Republican or Democrat. No one wants to hear the same talking points on either side, we want the truth.

We like the idea of truth but we as a whole continue to vote the same tired all shit shovelers back in to the Senate and the House. The more I think about politics the more I believe the problems aren't with the Senators and Congress people its with the people, us. We vote for them. We're the problem.