United Nations

xforlifex

So I'm going to rant.....because I just have to get this off my chest. So I picked up the United Nations cd the other day at my work. I was sick of people, namely those in the band, talking about this album. I gave it an honest listen and.....it's not bad. But it's been described by the band and almost every outlet selling it as "grindcore" Are you fucking kidding me? Maybe there are some blast beats but I would hardly call it grindcore.

Why??

Well Geoff pretty much sings in the whole album and anyone who listens to grindcore knows that shit just doesn't fly. Grindcore is all about fast guitar, faster drums, and guttural screams. Not singing and sure as fuck not accoustic guitar.

I'm not hating on this album, I'm just hoping kids don't pick this up as there first introduction to "grindcore" and start a million and one shitty bands that sound like this and call it grindcore. Cause it's not. It's not the peaceville or Earache back catalogues, sorry. I mean if you're looking for good (if there is such thing) modern grindcore for fucks sake check out 625, Six Weeks, or Torture garden.

Like I said, the album isn't bad, but it's not that good either.

I thought it was pretty good but definitely not grindcore in anyway. I would just call it hardcore if anything.

That's exactly what I thought. To me it sounded like Thursday gone hardcore, with the occasional blast beat. I never liked Thursday to begin with but I do like Daryl's past endevors, that's why I picked it up. I hope the 7" on DW is a lot better.

so you picked it up because you were sick of people talking about it??

I was sicking of hearing people describe it, hype it up to death, and name drop the shit out of the album before it was even avaliable to listen to. I wanted to give it a fair chance and listen to it, plus I work at a record store so I get stuff for 30 percent off. It only cost me 7 or 8 bucks. I don't hate the record, it's just the sound has been described really poorly by pretty much everyone.

in one of the other United Nations threads it was discussed that the band knows they're not grindcore, they're screamo...but mid-90's style/authentic screamo...and didn't want to label themselves as such because screamo is likened by bands like the Used now...so they called themselves grindcore to have people not dismiss them as doing a pseudo nu-metal project mascarading under a punk rock title.

in one of the other United Nations threads it was discussed that the band knows they're not grindcore, they're screamo...but mid-90's style/authentic screamo...and didn't want to label themselves as such because screamo is likened by bands like the Used now...so they called themselves grindcore to have people not dismiss them as doing a pseudo nu-metal project mascarading under a punk rock title.

Just wondering...what would "mid-90's style/authentic screamo" be? Like what are some bands?

I know and someone was telling me that Daryl described it as being really influenced by Orchid.....it doesn't even sound like it though. Like, they would have been better off saying it's a hardcore band....cause it is, kinda. But it's not Ebullition style hardcore, or grindcore, or powerviolence. MAYBE if they likened it to later Gravity records style hardcore, MAYBE that would be an apt description.

Titles and labels are whatever, take them for what they are worth but I just found it misleading and not very accurate at all and I just don't want people who maybe aren't familiar with grindcore to pick up this release because they love thursday and think this shit is grindcore, cause it's not.

i think its a solid record for what it is. but i also think that if there wasnt such an emphasis on genres and namedropping comparisons (probably rickleys own fault--but as someone else mentioned, perhaps that was the intention) people wouldnt be so uptight about all of that and just listen to the record and decide whether they like it or not instead of immediately going "what!? this isnt grindcore!" its not a powerviolence record, a grindcore record, or even a 90s screamo record (although, if you really wanna place it somewhere -- it probably comes closest to that). i get what theyre saying with the screamo thing. if theres one shred of truth in all of it, its that if they said they were screamo -- kids of today would be thinking the used, etc. and i cant fault them for wanting to stray as far away from that horseshit as possible.

i mean, if geoff would have said "i dont really know where to place it, but it pulls from a variety of influences" and left it at that no one would have anything to complain about because theres no specific frame of reference to be pigeonholed into. whatever. this is why i dont like discussing genres and sub-genres.

as far as the record itself goes, i could have done without the geoffs singing, really.

i also think that if there wasnt such an emphasis on genres and namedropping comparisons (probably rickleys own fault--but as someone else mentioned, perhaps that was the intention) people wouldnt be so uptight about all of that and just listen to the record and decide whether they like it or not

That is what bothers me the most. From the very first rumors about this band, Geoff was always saying it's a power violence/grindcore band. Every chance he got he was name dropping prominant bands in those genres. Then to find out that they are not even close to playing that style of music, and that all along Geoff knew that they were playing a completely different style. That's just stupid. I lost alot of respect for Geoff Rickley because of this stunt.

Give me a break. You can go to their myspace and listen to the WHOLE album for free and decide for yourself. You guys are really getting pissed off on what genre people are calling it?
THANK YOU!!!!! people are acting like little kids