Why the fuck don't printers come with cables?

jacobe

yet another way companies get to fuck you.

I work for office depot...so I get to fuck people just like you... ::)

Seriously, it is a bunch of bullshit...that and the fact that some printers come with "starter" ink cartridges that run out after 20-something prints, forcing you to shell out $30-$70 for replacement ink cartridges. You think gas is expensive? Try $10 minimum for 45 MILLILITERS of ink... :o

yet another way companies get to fuck you.

I work for office depot...so I get to fuck people just like you... ::)

Seriously, it is a bunch of bullshit...that and the fact that some printers come with "starter" ink cartridges that run out after 20-something prints, forcing you to shell out $30-$70 for replacement ink cartridges. You think gas is expensive? Try $10 minimum for 45 MILLILITERS of ink... :o

Luckily I think the inks they gave me are regular ones and not the starters.

the printer (a brother) was only $50 and it's a copier/scanner/fax/printer and gets good reviews, so in the end it's worth it.

Just bought a 10ft printer cable on ebay for $4ppd, so at least I got it cheap.

as i work for the largest dealer of HP printers in the country.. i will explain the situation.

printers do not come with cables for a couple reasons.

1) there is little markup on harware... cabling however there is huge markups. that $12.99 cable had a wholesale price of about .98 cents, so why would you bundle it, and lose the actual profit maker.

2) its overly wasteful... at this point most people who are buying a printer, already had one.. so they will have a cable already.

3) for a time there most printers were both parallel or usb... and you're not going to throw in extraneous parts.

same thing with ink... companies like HP make all of their money on cabling, consumables, and warranties. The printers are essentially a loss leader to get you to buy the high profit ad ons.