NHL Discussion

i liked upshall a lot and he seemed to have loved it here so i agree, it is a shame to let him go. sadly it's all about the cap.

the game tonight was the worst game i've seen in a long time, i turned it off in the second...which sucks because i was really looking forward to this game.

i agree about briere...if he is hurt again i can't handle it. we could have used his cap money yesterday...jbo and/or kari might have been on this team. son of a b.

i am willing to bet if the cap goes down players salaries will go down by the same percentage.

i am pretty sure i heard that this is not the case, but i could be wrong.

i do know that hockey contracts cannot be renegotiated so a player cant take a pay cut to help out the team if he is signed to a, say 15 year contract.

interesting...but if their salaries don't go down it's going to cause a hell of a lot of issues with almost every team in the league. the league shouldn't punish teams who spend up to the cap trying to put the best product they can on the ice.

The players' salaries cannot exceed a certain percentage of revenue. A part of their paycheck is taken to ensure this balance and given back if the balance is correct. If its not, money in this escrow account is paid in to the system to the owners to ensure the percentage is correct. So, if the cap goes down and revenues are down the players will effectively lose their salary. There's a direct relation between revenue and player salary.

The players' salaries cannot exceed a certain percentage of revenue. A part of their paycheck is taken to ensure this balance and given back if the balance is correct. If its not, money in this escrow account is paid in to the system to the owners to ensure the percentage is correct. So, if the cap goes down and revenues are down the players will effectively lose their salary. There's a direct relation between revenue and player salary.

I thought that in the new CBA all contracts are guaranteed?

I thought that in the new CBA all contracts are guaranteed?

All NHL contracts have always been guaranteed but there's a strict tie to revenue for percentage of player's salary. Meaning player's salaries can't be more than X percent of revenues.

A guaranteed contract is one that can't be ended arbitrarily, like it can be in the NFL. You can't be fired in the NHL, you can be in the NFL, that's the difference between a guaranteed contract and a non-guaranteed contract as far as I can tell. That's why there's always talk in the NFL about guaranteed money.

He wanted Crosby instead, but the refs beat him to it.

Yeah, I'm disappointed to see Upshall go, too. The transaction didn't make sense to me, but I suppose it's like you said, all about the cap.

And Carcillo is younger and brings the same game as Upshall. That could have something to do with it too. :)

C'mon, now.

Everyone knows that when 20 guys are lousy it's the Coach and/or GM that gets the axe.

Nothing new there at all.

A coaching change has done wonders for the Pen's.

8-1-1 under Bylsma.

Point well taken. The Rangers are also, what 3-1-1 under Torts?

I wasn't arguing the validity or necessity of a coaching change, just pointing out that the coach takes the heat even though the fault sometimes lies with the players or the GM.

Look at Paul Maurice in Toronto, for example. He had next to nothing to work with asides from Sundin, Kaberle and for a while a decent Bryan McCabe. And he was expected to make the playoffs with that? 5mil per season for Kubina? An over-paid Jason Blake after a fluke season? An over-paid Darcy Tucker after a fluke season? Every player gets a no-trade clause!!! Maurice's hands were tied by the opposite end of John Ferguson Jr's noose, and he unfortunately he took fall. No doubt first so that JFJ had someone to land on for cushioning when it was his turn to go.

It's not always the coach.