NHL Discussion

On blank sweaters:

I don't have a problem with them, I'd just never buy one for myself. To me, they seem too non-committal. And possibly a little cheap.

And the trade argument doesn't hold water with me. Gretz was traded -- more than once. If that can happen, anything can, so why not show support while you can.

To all that offered suggestions / advice, I've made my decision. I'm buying a Schenn Toronto jersey and a Hedman Tampa jersey. Schenn comes out when Toronto is in town and Hedman for the rest.

Thanks.

I like blanks because I'm loyal to the team, not some specific player.

That's what the front of the jersey is for.

Okay say my favorite player for the Oilers was Raffi Torres. If I got his name and number on the back of my jersey what am I supposed to do with it now that he is traded to Columbus?

That's what the front of the jersey is for.

Okay say my favorite player for the Oilers was Raffi Torres. If I got his name and number on the back of my jersey what am I supposed to do with it now that he is traded to Columbus?

Definitely a crappy scenario. I had a Olli Jokinen Kings' jersey that's now obsolete and a Palffy Kings' All-Star jersey that is also obsolete. Because of that I mostly wear my silver-and-black era Robitaille. Nice and safe. I may get Doughty on my current blank jersey if he signs long-term soon.

WEAR IT!

I think that's part of being a fan, honestly.

In an ideal world, everyone's favorite player signs a lifetime contract with the team, retires with the team, and nobody has to buy another jersey again. Fact is, players get traded all of the time. Does that diminish the jersey any? Does that diminish the fact that while player x was wearing your colors he was your favorite? Does it diminish the contributions of said player when he was with the franchise? Does that player now become an enemy because he is now with another team -- something he likely had little or no say in in the first place?

I answer no to all of these. What's wrong with rocking an alumni jersey anyway? It's not a jersey foul, by any stretch. If anything, it dates you as a fan and denotes loyalty, both to the player and the franchise. In the grander scheme of all things hockey, isn't that what matters; loyalty? Don't we praise players when they take a pay cut to stay with a team? Yet we won't buy a $140 jersey?

But that's just me. If someone would rather toss the jersey of an alum than wear it, maybe a blank jersey is the best option.

Sundin is both selfish and a traitor in my mind. But that doesn't change the fact that he is one of the most cherished Leafs in recent memory. Nor does it erase all of the nights I spilled beer on myself leaping to my feet to cheer his play. His records are still intact, as is his place in Leafs history. There's still some hurt around Sundin for me, which is why I wanted a new jersey in the first place. But there's no doubt in my mind I'll sport number 13 on my back again.

Flyers/Rangers games have leaked

December 19th, 2009 @ Philly

December 30th, 2009 @ Madison Square Garden

January 21st, 2010 @ Philly

March 14th, 2010 @ Madison Square Garden

April 9th, 2010 @ Madison Square Garden

April 11th, 2010 @ Philly

I may go up for the March 14th game.

is there not two seperate rooms there or what?

id love to buy an authentic jersey, but to get one here is so damn expensive. ive got a couple that ive bought from a chinaman. theyre pretty good quality overall. i have a feeling my local team will bring out new jerseys next season, and ill most likely pick one of those up.

i get the loyalty thing if youre wearing a jersey from a player who has moved on. youre still willing to wear your team colors despite the name on the back. thats cool

I hate this part of the offseason. The draft is over, the free agent frenzy has petered out. Blah.

The schedule comes out today.

I'm hoping to go to the Pens rookie camp if it's open to the public.

I think I'm going to try and go to more pre season games this year, because I want to get a look at some of the younger guys coming up in the system.

I have a Lindros, Richards & Carter jersey of the Flyers, and then two blanks.

I still love Lindros, so I wear it, i'm not going to not wear it just because he isn't on the team anymore.

but i do understand the for and against it.

also, so fucking excited for the Winter Classic.

I didn't really look at the other schedules too much, but it seems like Toronto doesn't have a true home and home this season, which is just strange. There's a few instances where it appears to be home and home, but there is another game sandwiched between. Is this a trend elsewhere?

For example, there's a home and home with Buffalo on a Friday / Monday with a Saturday game thrown in between. Same with NYR too.

Very unusual.

Leafs @ Tampa twice. Bet your ass I'll be at those two.