NHL Discussion

This day proves why I would choose Ovechkin over Crosby any day.

That's a little silly. Crosby scored a HUGE goal and helped beat the Swiss the other night by nailing some important shootout goals.

Ovechkin lays some nice hits for sure but he had a dog of game against Slovakia.

And the Russians could be the team to beat if they play like they did against the Czechs all the time, I'm just not sure that'll happen. I don't believe in the defense for the Russians. Outside of Gonchar there's no one who's a top tier guy. Markov is a good player I'm just not sure he's big enough physically to deal with a guy like Malone, for instance.

I missed the Russia game and finding stats is nearly impossible. How did Russia do on the Power Play? They were like 1/14 before the game, yikes!

Obviously I'm a Crosby guy, but like Sammy said, he's the one who has performed in clutch scenarios. Ovechkin had like 3 chances in a shootout the other night and he scored one, but didn't net the winner. Also, game 7 last season, not so clutch there.

He crushed Jagr though.

The Pirates have made a bid to host a Winter Classic at PNC Park soon. I think it's a little soon yet since the Pens were just in one, but NBC only thinks there are 8 teams in the league.

BRADENTON, Fla. -- On a sunny, 74-degree day in Pirates spring training, team president Frank Coonelly paused for a moment to talk ... hockey.

On the North Shore.

On New Year's weekend 2011.

"Caps-Pens. Ovechkin and Crosby. At PNC Park," Coonelly mused Sunday, saying that the Pirates indeed have informed the NHL about their interest in playing host to the next Winter Classic which, they hope, could star Washington and Alex Ovechkin against Sidney and the Penguins.

"To me, it's the next logical venue," he added. "We've talked to the NHL the last couple of years, really after the success at Wrigley [Field] and Fenway [Park]," sites of the past two New Year's Day events pitting Detroit against Chicago and Boston against Philadelphia. He continued that, even more than those iconic ballparks, their 9-year-old venue offers a "picturesque location between the ballpark and the Pittsburgh skyline behind it."

The Penguins won in a shootout in the first Winter Classic in 2008 at Buffalo. N.Y., and soon afterward let NHL officials know they wanted to bring the game -- an instant NBC-television and marketing success -- to Pittsburgh.

"We have two great facilities to hold that -- Heinz Field and PNC Park," Penguins vice president Tom McMillan said, reiterating the Penguins' pitch to NHL administrators. "That's up to the league to make the choice of where they want it."

That inaugural Winter Classic was played in the NFL Buffalo Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium before 71,217 fans. The ballpark crowds the past two Januarys were almost half that size, representing a significant drop in potential revenue from tickets that ranged from $50 to $350 apiece at Boston.

New York and Yankee Stadium seemed to be a front-runner -- Capitals-Rangers? -- for 2011, but officials signed a contract to hold a college football bowl game there between Christmas and New Year's Day each of the next four years. The NHL prefers a two-week period to construct and tear down the temporary rink and staging, although either the Mets' Citi Field or possibly new Giants Stadium conceivably could be open to the Winter Classic.

This year, New Year's Eve is a Friday, and a Winter Classic with the city's penchant for fireworks exploding over the skyline could make for a scintillating perspective and signature portrait. However, Coonelly talked about making it a weekend extravaganza the same as Boston did: playing host to college games with Robert Morris University one night and scheduling high school hockey games at other times.

The Penguins and the Consol Energy Center opening later this year have bid for other celebrated sporting events. The new arena will be home to first- and second-round games in the 2012 NCAA men's basketball tournament, and Penguins officials made a formal application to hold an NHL All-Star Game, with 2011's still up for grabs. "We're looking to bring a lot of events to Pittsburgh," McMillan said.

NHL administrators are expected to confer and make a determination next month.

"Right now," Coonelly said, "all their attention is on the Olympics."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10053/1037646-63.stm#ixzz0gHqxY9Dn

Luongo pitched a shutout in his one olympic performance this year, I'd definitely give him the net.

That doesn't mean much considering he stopped like 15 weak wristers to the crest. That norway game was like a a shinny game made of up Jason Blake clones.

MAF might probably won't get a chance to play in these olympics because ever canadian still remembers when he put the americans game winning goal into his own net at the world juniors and got himself a silver medal.

Brodeur played pretty well on sunday considering how poorly certain defensemen were playing. Lets not forget that Luongo was also pulled a couple times in the month leading up to the olympics. The germany game and the russia game won't come down to goaltending they will come down to whether or not every player on canada puts into 100%

I understand he played Norway and MAF has a cup, I'm not taking away from that, but a shutout is a shutout. Switzerland stuffed two goals in against Canada, so it's not like they're shutting out all the lower tier teams.

Fact of the matter is, it's a what have you done for me lately situation. This year Luongo has more wins, a better save %, a better goals against average and more shutouts than MAF does. Since Brodeur isn't looking too good right now, I'd go with Luongo.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have Luongo between the pipes than either MAF or Brodeur.

In any game. On any team.

But that's just me.

Why? What has he done? I cannot believe people have this perception of Luongo as some kind of amazing goaltender. He has done SQUAT. In a winner take all game I think I'd rather have Giguere than Luongo.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have Luongo between the pipes than either MAF or Brodeur.

But that's just me.

Why? What has he done? I cannot believe people have this perception of Luongo as some kind of amazing goaltender. He has done SQUAT. In a winner take all game I think I'd rather have Giguere than Luongo.

Every goaltender is more than capable on team canada. The whole team needs to play better.

But that's just me.

Giggy isn't on the roster. Luongo is.

Brodeur had his shots and didn't stop enough of them. I'm not convinced on MAF, and neither is Team Canada it would seem.

Luongo for the win.