recommend a book

My girlfriend just gave me Naked by David Sedaris. She really liked it and I'm looking forward to cracking it, but I've been slowly trying to get through Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. I'm not sure why so many people rave over Chuck Klosterman. Yeah, he's funny at times, but for the most part I find him rather annoying. His writing is very repetitive and I just can't seem to push myself to finish the book.

I also want to read Yes Man, I think it's by David Wallace, but I could be wrong. My friend Adam said it was hilarious. They're making a movie out of it, you've probably seen previews, the one w/ Jim Carrey.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

/thread

/message board

/VC

/internet

/Al Gore's internet royalties

/global warming

I really want to listen to the original radio broadcast of this.

I watched the original BBC show and it was pretty good.

I still think the modern movie is my favorite rendition though.

<333 Zooey Deschanel <333

The Dirt - Motley Crue ... seriously the best music book i've ever read.

jPod - Douglas Coupland ... very funny. but i'd only suggest it someone who's in the mid to late 20s or older and has worked in an office before.

Sabriel - Garth Nix ... amazing book if you're into fantasy.

The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman same as above.

im thinking about getting that ultimate hitchhikers guide to the galaxy leather bound book at barnes and noble for 20 bucks. I liked the movie a lot, so i've been wanting to read them.

The books > the movie, so if you dug the movie, you'll really like the books.

I've read a lot of about the HHGTTG and a lot of people feel that the ranking of them is this...

Original radio broadcast > original TV series > books > some other radio broadcast > the new movie

The books > the movie, so if you dug the movie, you'll really like the books.

I've read a lot of about the HHGTTG and a lot of people feel that the ranking of them is this...

Original radio broadcast > original TV series > books > some other radio broadcast > the new movie

Yeah, that's the consensus I've heard too. I have yet to hear the original radio broadcast.

im thinking about getting that ultimate hitchhikers guide to the galaxy leather bound book at barnes and noble for 20 bucks. I liked the movie a lot, so i've been wanting to read them.

is it normally 20 bucks? I might have to get that, the series is awesome.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Ultimate-Hitchhikers-Guide-Deluxe-Edition/Douglas-Adams/e/9780517226957/?itm=3

i really like chuck klosterman, i like neil gaiman's novels, i typically just read comics.

I use to read a bunch of comic tradebacks, but theyre kinda expensive and i read through them way too quick.

But i am interested in reading The Sandman. Another comic I've been wanting to read is Mark Millar's Kick Ass. I think a tradeback is coming out soon for it.

Yeah, that's the consensus I've heard too. I have yet to hear the original radio broadcast.

the books start to get really dry. the first two are great (guide and resturant). but the other three i found to drag on a bit and it just felt like they were beating a dead horse. which would explain why there's a 6th installment coming out next year.

i really like chuck klosterman, i like neil gaiman's novels, i typically just read comics.

I use to read a bunch of comic tradebacks, but theyre kinda expensive and i read through them way too quick.

But i am interested in reading The Sandman. Another comic I've been wanting to read is Mark Millar's Kick Ass. I think a tradeback is coming out soon for it.

not likely since the 4th issue just came out last week (or two weeks ago). usually they wait until there's 6 issues then it's at least a couple of months (if not a year) before the first trade comes out. it may be even longer since it's on a smaller imprint.

the books start to get really dry. the first two are great (guide and resturant). but the other three i found to drag on a bit and it just felt like they were beating a dead horse. which would explain why there's a 6th installment coming out next year.

Yeah, I'd more or less agree with that.

not likely since the 4th issue just came out last week (or two weeks ago). usually they wait until there's 6 issues then it's at least a couple of months (if not a year) before the first trade comes out. it may be even longer since it's on a smaller imprint.

http://www.amazon.com/Kick-Ass-HC-Mark-Millar/dp/0785132619/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223327593&sr=8-1

i didnt realize it was only six issues. do you know if these are still easy to pick up at comic shops?

My girlfriend just gave me Naked by David Sedaris. She really liked it and I'm looking forward to cracking it, but I've been slowly trying to get through Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. I'm not sure why so many people rave over Chuck Klosterman. Yeah, he's funny at times, but for the most part I find him rather annoying. His writing is very repetitive and I just can't seem to push myself to finish the book.

I also want to read Yes Man, I think it's by David Wallace, but I could be wrong. My friend Adam said it was hilarious. They're making a movie out of it, you've probably seen previews, the one w/ Jim Carrey.

Yes man is hilarious! I want to reccomend are you dave gorman, by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace. Danny bets dave that he can't find 54 people who share his name, they trade off writing. So funny.

sandman is fucking aaaaaaaaawwwwweeeessssooommmeeeeee.com

If you liked Chuck, pick up something by Johnathan Lethem. He jumps genres and styles from book to book, but his stories work on several different levels. I started with "Men and Cartoons"- a short story collection, which is usually a good place to start with author's that have a lot of output. A good novel of his is "As She Climbed Across the Table." You also would probably like "Perv" by Jerry Stahl. I said this in the other thread about books, but I can't reccommend "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole enough. Favorite book of all time.