Cataloging my records

I just started doing it manually, typing them in a word document. I made it through C tonight with 220 records. Consideing the biggies seem to be J, L, M, R, S and T, I think I'm in for a long haul. And then come the 7 inches and 45s.

I'll be stoked when I'm done though. I've never had a complete list of my records and now I have so many it's out of hand. Wish me luck.

Yeah, when I first got on Recordnerd last year, I basically just camped out in my house all weekend and ran stacks of LPs and 7-inches upstairs to my computer and and back for two days straight. It's such a good feeling once you finish, though.

I used to have a comprehensive list of all the CDs I owned, too -- around 1400 as of about five years ago. It is definitely monumentally out of date (I've easily added another 500+ since then, and that's being conservative), but one day I'll attempt it.

id would take me awhile to get past "A" as 3 of the like 6 bands i collect fall in that category.. ie Against Me!, Alkaline Trio, and Atom and His Package

You collect Atom And His Package, eh? Any interest in that Mountain Goats 7" he put out a while ago?

If you're looking to get rid of it, I'd be interested in it...

I finished up half of J yesterday, but I've come across a problem. First, I'm doing the list in word and it stopped automatically numbering about half way through. I though 'no big deal, I'll just put the numbers in myself.' Big mistake, I think, because when I add records later as they come in it will screw up the numbering. I'm not sure how to fix that except to go back and remove all the numbers. Any suggestions? I'm well over 500 records into this by the way, so it's no small matter.

If I find some free time I could design a basic Excel spreadsheet that everyone can use or if someone already has a decent one setup maybe they can post it. I could even do something nice in Access with a graphical interface (I have something like that from my college days laying around).