Skipping

millen

Heya,

This is my first post here, and I hope I'm doing it in the right forum.

I've got a weird thing with my turntable that started yesterday and maybe one of you has a suggestion (apart from getting a new needle which I will of course just to be sure).

Anyway: All of a sudden my needle doesn't seem to follow the rim grooves leading to the first song, sometimes it just stays in the same spot not picking up on the grooves at all, and when it does reach the song it starts skipping in a weird way that doesn't sound like skipping when there's a scratch.

This only happens with the first song. Put it down anywhere else on the vinyl and no problem. The records this occurs to seems to be selective, but it happens to new and old records.

Oh and my turntable is about 4 months old yet, so the needle should still be good I figure.

I'm no expert but I have a lot of experience from working in a stereo shop (for an expert) and because I've had tons of turntables over the last 20 years.

Most needles I've had require a setting between 1.5 to 2.5. I'm assuming you don't have the specs for yours but maybe you can Google it. Otherwise, the general rule of thumb is that it can do damage if it's too light or if it's too heavy. So if you have to estimate it yourself, find the weight where it's only as heavy as it has to be to keep from skipping or sliding.

If you have an anti-skate control on your turntable, that makes a huge difference. You can have the arm perfectly weighted but if the anti-skate isn't set properly, you'll have the problem you're describing. I goofed when I set mine last time and it took me awhile to realize I made such a simple mistake. But suddenly records were randomly skipping when they never had before.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

I solved the problem because of the anti-skate advice although I don't have an anti-skate button.

But after reading that I started paying real good attention to the arm and the needle and I suddenly noticed that the little arm/lever thingy that moves the arm up and down was keeping the arm a bit above the holder you put the arm into when not playing music, so I figured he might as well be holding the arm to far above the record.

So I tightened the screw of the arm/lever thingy a bit and now: problem solved! :D

Also thanks on the weight setting, Chiefwahoo. :)