Religious discussion

This was inspired by a different thread, but that one got me wondering about the religious beliefs of people on this board. Feel free to post what you believe or don't believe.

Let's please try to keep this civil? This is meant to be a discussion, not a firing squad. Questions and counterpoints are encouraged, but we're all adults here.

I'll start. I was raised Catholic. When I was about 15 or 16 I realized that there was a lot about Catholicism that I didn't agree with, so I started going to Christian services. I now consider myself Christian rather than Catholic. I believe in God. I don't believe in hell. I believe in Heaven. I believe that God is forgiving above all else, and because of this everyone will be allowed into Heaven. Gay marriage is fine, abortion is a choice, etc.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to church once in my life. I used to kind of get bothered by really religious people, but my friends roommate in college is the son of missionaries and unbelieveably religious and is by far the nicest person i've ever met. So now I don't really care.

Although the California Prop 8 supporters are reminding me why I didn't like religious people in the first place.

I haven't been to church once in my life. I used to kind of get bothered by really religious people, but my friends roommate in college is the son of missionaries and unbelieveably religious and is by far the nicest person i've ever met. So now I don't really care.

Although the California Prop 8 supporters are reminding me why I didn't like religious people in the first place.

What's prop 8?

I don't believe in a higher power, but I also wouldn't presume to say I know there isn't one. I figure I'll find out when I die. I think organized religion often leads to trouble. I don't understand why people need religion, but then a lot of people don't understand why I don't. Generally, I just believe in being decent to people and living and let live.

That's it, really.

**edit: I think I just wrote a more convoluted version of what Scott just said :)

What's prop 8?

The gay marriage ban, so voting for prop 8 is voting to outlaw gay marriage.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':hdayz9hn]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':hdayz9hn]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Buddhist with a focus in Christianity.

I follow the basic Christian principals, but allow that everyone's beliefs are equally implausible and that the God I choose to believe in wont punish a good person for choosing the wrong implausible deity. My religious beliefs are generally just be relaxed and groovy, and follow the teachings of Christ and you'll be fine. (Please also note that Christ never said shit about Gay people, and that all of the shit about Gay people is in the old testament... which is pretty much just a history book. Any one who doesn't keep a totally kosher life style including not sleeping in the same bed with their wife when shes on her period and talks about "gays being evil" is so full of shit that I'm pretty sure there is a special holy face palm God makes just because of them)

Agnostic/Rationalist. I think anyone who claims they're "atheist" are just as bad as religious fanatics (although I lean towards atheism).

I try and not look down on religious people but sometimes it's hard. There's so much bad with the good. An example: many rural Christians think that "Muslim = Terrorist" or "Muslim = bad". I am very offended by that anyone would think that, especially since I have a few Muslim friends who have some of the nicest, most welcoming, families I've ever met.

Guest naytoid

+1 for the Izzard reference

I'm not sure, but i lean more towards Apatheism

Does Izzard say that? I've only seen his really recent stuff and haven't gotten to dive into his back catalog of awesome yet.

Yeah, I remember it from Dress To Kill when he's talking about religion and Jesus coming to earth

I was raised as a Christian and my dad was a pastor. I was even a missionary for a year and real evangelical praying for healing and things under the banner of Christianity.

Now I'm more open-minded and think that it's ridiculous to assume that one religion is correct, or even assuming that God is an absolute. That being said, I have a lot of respect for my dad and for some Christians although I do try to subtley (is that even a word?) introduce new ideas about Jesus and religion to my parents that they wouldn't normally agree with but will accept if brought in the right wording, like Jesus supporting "subjective morality".

I don't disagree with spirituality as I have seen people being healed and other miraculous things, but I don't believe that that proves God let alone Christianity. I wonder how much our minds play into this stuff, how strong we can be mentally. I guess I'm a sort of humanist.

I was raised Protestant.

I believe that there are wisdoms to be gained from every religion on earth and saying you're X and nothing but X is stupid. every religion has a bit of wisdom to gain from it. be it Buddhist meditation, christian belief in forgiveness, etc etc.

that being said i'm a believer in chaos magic.

i'm also a humanist misanthrope. (much like bill hicks)

I was raised Protestant.

I believe that there are wisdoms to be gained from every religion on earth and saying you're X as nothing but X is stupid. every religion has a bit of wisdom to gain from it. be it Buddhist meditation, christian belief in forgiveness, etc etc.

that being said i'm a believer in chaos magic.

i'm also a humanist misanthrope. (much like bill hicks)

What is Chaos Magic? Grant Morrison is a Chaos Magician.

Chaos magic is a form of magic which was first formulated in West Yorkshire, England, in the 1970s. Through a variety of techniques often reminiscent of Western ceremonial magic or neoshamanism, many practitioners believe they can change both their subjective experience and objective reality, though some chaos magicians dispute that magic occurs through paranormal means.

Although there are a few techniques unique to chaos magic (such as some forms of sigil magic), chaos magic is often highly individualistic and borrows liberally from other belief systems, due to chaos magic having a central belief that belief is a tool. Some common sources of inspiration include such diverse areas as science fiction, scientific theories, ceremonial magic, shamanism, Eastern philosophy, world religions, and individual experimentation. Despite tremendous individual variation, chaos magicians often work with chaotic and humorous paradigms, such as the worship of Hundun from Taoism or Eris from Discordianism.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_magic

i am a christian; i grew up that way, although my parents were never forceful. i am not going to press my beliefs onto anybody. all of my college roommates have been atheists, and we got along great (i lived with them for multiple years). i would invite them to dinner or a movie or something with church every once in a while, and if they initiated a conversation i would happily join, but that's it. if there is a group of people that bothers me more than completely close minded judgemental christians, it is the atheists that hate ALL christians for being that way. there is nothing more close minded than that. people who refuse to listen to a band or hang out with somebody just for being christian are just ridiculous. last time i saw nofx fat mike said that all christians and christianity are to blame for all of the worlds problems. that is absolutely no better than the guy yelling at you from the street corner.