Okkervil River (ATTN: Flicker)

everything.

This is one band that has continually evolved from album to album, and i think everything they have done has been amazing. I think Black Sheep Boy is a great starting point because its right in the middle of their progression. The two most recent albums, The Stage Names, and The Stand-Ins are more on their rock and roll side. While Everything pre-BSB is going to get more and more folksy and countryish.

I think you should try out Down the River of Golden Dreams and The Stage Names next, and go from there.

as for vinyl:

http://jagjaguwar.com/artist.php?name=okkervilriver

down the river of golden dreams. don't fall in love with everyone you see has a few really good songs, but i find the album tends to drag. also check out the EP they did for an Australian tour called "overboard and drowning"- has one of my favourite okkervil river songs- "love to a monster"

its seriously amazing how much energy and presence this band has. A lot of people hear some of their slower songs and think the band will be boring live, but they are not. They put on the best show i have ever seen. They really are the only band out there that can back up such an energy with such lyrical and emotional depth.

FLicker's right.. This band is one of those bands you need to see live (next to the riverboat gamblers). I have been lucky enough to see these guys on many occasions and they are one of those bands that never lets me down.

Totally backing the RG comment. I had never really listened to them and I saw them open for somebody in NYC and they were an absolute blast.

k, I love this bands recorded material, Love the recorded material...saw 'em live last year at Fun Fun Fun Fest...and honestly found the live show pretty boring...I always hear good stuff about their live shows...perhaps I caught a bad set or bad day....was pretty disappointed in their live show though. Just one man's opinion

FLicker's right.. This band is one of those bands you need to see live (next to the riverboat gamblers). I have been lucky enough to see these guys on many occasions and they are one of those bands that never lets me down.

Totally backing the RG comment. I had never really listened to them and I saw them open for somebody in NYC and they were an absolute blast.

Dude, you know how hard it is to get someone to see them live who hasn't seen them... they go to the myspace and listen to the music and don't get the same vibe... But fuck. I saw them play before THE HELLACOPTERS one year, and the drummer Matz turned toward Nick Andersona nd said "we have to go up after them". while the hellacopters were good, the Gamblers took the show that night.

• 2 weeks later...
Just downloaded Black Sheep Boy off eMusic and I've listened to two songs and I'm hooked. These guys are fucking good. I just love how the singer sounds almost half-drunk, just buzzed enough to spill his guts and get angry and who he's truly angry with.

I think that's why I love that album the most. It occurs on their later albums but "Black Sheep Boy" definitely seems to have the most raw emotion.