Why is it that...

Guest kevinb

Sealed lp's dont have anymore value as opposed to used vinyl?

all other media types ie; video games,cd's,dvd's,ect...

depending on age and rarity can fetch some big bucks if sealed

This isn't the case with older records, as you can see if you find an auction for a sealed copy of say led zeppelin - I or something. Those fetch hundreds more than mint opened copies. Makes me wonder what my sealed 70s copy of are you experienced is worth. Modern albums though, yes it does seem most sell no higher than their opened counterparts. But like vinylme just said, there are a lot of albums these days released with no shrink too, so there are variables to all of this.

the only reason i prefer to buy sealed stuff is that is pretty much guarantees thats its in brand new condition. but then who's to say someone hasn't opened a record, and then re-sealed it themselves. sometimes you can tell if its the original shrink but other times you can't. most of the time ive seen sealed records go for more than opened copies, but it all depends on the rairty of the record as well.

I agree with people who've said that sealed copies do go for more. Maybe not on the VC board, since it seems like a lot of people don't listen to their records anyway, but out in the real world, they do. And if you do listen to your records, you should look for sealed copies since a lot of people don't take good care of them.

I agree with people who've said that sealed copies do go for more. Maybe not on the VC board, since it seems like a lot of people don't listen to their records anyway, but out in the real world, they do. And if you do listen to your records, you should look for sealed copies since a lot of people don't take good care of them.

Do you really think people on here don't listen to their records? I listen to all of mine...even if I have multiple variations / test press. I actually tend to listen to test presses more than an actual press.

Not to mention that if it's sealed you can't usually prove the colour.

Do you really think people on here don't listen to their records? I listen to all of mine...even if I have multiple variations / test press. I actually tend to listen to test presses more than an actual press.

Yes, yes I do. Why would you listen to all the variations of the records you have (unless they are different mixes)? If you actually do that, then you're in the minority.

I see people's record lists where they have 100 records, but only 20 different records. I would bet there are people here who collect records but don't even have functioning turntables. They see it as a "collectible" rather than a music media, and having 8 different colors of the same record proves that.

Yes, yes I do. Why would you listen to all the variations of the records you have (unless they are different mixes)? If you actually do that, then you're in the minority.

I see people's record lists where they have 100 records, but only 20 different records. I would bet there are people here who collect records but don't even have functioning turntables. They see it as a "collectible" rather than a music media, and having 8 different colors of the same record proves that.

i dont wholly agree with this.

do i think someone like say..flood listens to every pressing of every against me album on a regular basis...no. but he def. listens to his against me records.

while we are all collectors here, and alot of people go for variations, it only take a look at the "post the cover image of the record youre listening to" thread to realize the vast majority on here listen to most of their records.

when you are talking records with actual value it is.

if you are talking about shitty emo/hardcore vinyl, then "value" is relative, and the records arent really worth much to begin with, so its not like it can go that far up in value no matter how mint/perfect it gets.

when you are talking about records worth in the upper hundreds to the multiple thousands then, yeah sealed can make a noticeable difference.

when you are talking records with actual value it is.

if you are talking about shitty emo/hardcore vinyl, then "value" is relative, and the records arent really worth much to begin with, so its not like it can go that far up in value no matter how mint/perfect it gets.

when you are talking about records worth in the upper hundreds to the multiple thousands then, yeah sealed can make a noticeable difference.

There aren't tons of records worth multiple thousands of dollars (at least not many that I care about).