prop 8

if it does pass, which its looking increasingly like it will, hopefully it goes the way it did back in 2000.

Yea, an amendment in 2000 passed to ban gay marriage, but then got held up in court until this past May and the CA Supreme court said its unconsitutional, which it obviously is. That's why there have been a ton of same-sex marriages this summer, to get in while you can. And there were a ton again this month because even if it is banned, it doesn't retract previous marriages.

But yea, this outcome is looking disgusting. At least 2 is going to pass.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it does pass, which its looking increasingly like it will, hopefully it goes the way it did back in 2000.

Yea, an amendment in 2000 passed to ban gay marriage, but then got held up in court until this past May and the CA Supreme court said its unconsitutional, which it obviously is.

Except that Prop. 22 (2000) was a statute; Prop. 8 is a state constitutional amendment.

From my understanding, state constitutional amendments can't be overturned by the state Supreme Court.

Yea, an amendment in 2000 passed to ban gay marriage, but then got held up in court until this past May and the CA Supreme court said its unconsitutional, which it obviously is.

Except that Prop. 22 (2000) was a statute; Prop. 8 is a state constitutional amendment.

From my understanding, state constitutional amendments can't be overturned by the state Supreme Court.

Oh really? I thought 2000 was a little stronger.

I'm pretty sure that amending the state constitution needs 2/3 in the State Congress and the Governor needs to sign off on it. Did all that already happen? And I know we've had measures before that need a 2/3 vote by the people as well. I hope there's something that can hold it up.

what was Prop 2?

"Yes" would add a chapter to the California Health and Safety Code regarding the treatment/confinement of farm animals (specifically in the production of veal, eggs, and pork).

It doesn't go in effect until 2015 and is admittedly pretty narrow in scope, but it's at least a step in the right direction.

Oh really? I thought 2000 was a little stronger.

I'm pretty sure that amending the state constitution needs 2/3 in the State Congress and the Governor needs to sign off on it. Did all that already happen? And I know we've had measures before that need a 2/3 vote by the people as well. I hope there's something that can hold it up.

I think the California Constitution can be amended by either a 2/3 vote by the Legislature or a state ballot measure (like Prop. 8). If it goes the ballot measure route, it only takes a simple majority to pass and the new law goes into effect the day after the election.

I still can't believe this shit is passing.

Seriously this country not just California needs more separation of church and state. Hopefully there will be such a thing soon.

People were down the street celebrating obama, but I'm sure there were some people that were waiting for this prop to fail before really celebrating. I feel worst for them over all.

In Florida we had Ammendment 2 which is similar. A Yes vote was to allow marriage to be defined as between one man and one woman. It passed. Standing in line to vote I heard a lot of people supporting Obama and still supporting bigotry in its other form--homophobia. Everywhere I was seeing bumper stickers and yard signs proclaiming "Yes on 2: Protect our Children". As if homosexuality is synonymous with pedophilia. It sickens me that in one election, in one facet we have progressed so much, but that we are still so close-minded about other things. So much for equal rights for all people.

This pisses me off not only because it sets us back in terms of human rights, but also because of the general hypocrisy. These type of amendments are forwarded by conservative groups who bitch about government intervention in people's personal lives. What the hell. If you do not like gay marriage, do not get gay married. Problem solved.

In Florida we had Ammendment 2 which is similar. A Yes vote was to allow marriage to be defined as between one man and one woman. It passed. Standing in line to vote I heard a lot of people supporting Obama and still supporting bigotry in its other form--homophobia. Everywhere I was seeing bumper stickers and yard signs proclaiming "Yes on 2: Protect our Children". As if homosexuality is synonymous with pedophilia. It sickens me that in one election, in one facet we have progressed so much, but that we are still so close-minded about other things. So much for equal rights for all people.

There was something similar in Ohio back in 2004, but the wording of the Amendment also eliminated common-law marriage, but I doubt anyone who voted for it even noticed...

The money, the zealots, those stupid fucking advertisements saying that kids will be taught gay marriage in schools. the whole thing just makes me mad.

This state is full of Nuts.. and they are all not gay. They all go to church

Edit: Found this map that shows who voted how on each prop by county. God Dammit this state has a lot of idiots living in it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-2008election-california-results,0,1293859.htmlstory